I rode my new FJR home from the dealer today - Clunk/rattle!/lower fairing issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new bike. When you have time, I would go over it head to tail (not just looking for the clunk). Check all critical fasteners and fluids. I wouldn't take anything for granted. I know they charged for assembly and set up, but I wouldn't trust any of it was done correctly. There are a lot of horror stories out there of dealers neglecting to tighten/torque this and grease or fill that.

Last edited:
So is that what you did when dealership X left a lot of the bolts and stuff loose on yours? Like those triple clamps bolts and such?
Just threw in some earplugs ? :cool: Just sayin....
No, of course not! But there has not been a single indication that the OP has had anything left loose tho that seems to be what everyone thinks. To me the FJR is a noisy bike especially the front rotors, fork and road noise coming straight up along the forks into the rider's face. It is inherently a loud snap-crackle-pop bike and the OP may be just new to it. Another thing that drove me nuts was my own helmet noise.

I was helping another FJR rider with a front end noise and I assumed it was the brake rotors since everything else appeared tight. We ended up locating the noise originating from the two allen screws that hold the front of the gas tank down. We assumed the noise was coming up the fork channel through the body work but discovered it was right under our nose with a loose gas tank.

I'm taking it to the dealer at 3 pm today. Their service manger said that he will need to have it for several days in order to thoughly check it out and test ride it several times. Which is ok by me, since their is still a foot a snow on the ground here (but the roads are clear).

I would try to find the 'smoothest' road I could, then find some isolated imperfections and see if I could better isolate the area of concern. Good luck and hoping it's just something simple. You could also put it up on the center stand and do some static inspections in the area of noise.
The bike is super smooth and quiet when I ride on smooth asphalt roads. It clunks only when I ride on concrete roads with the usual seams and expansion joints and irregularities.

.... To me the FJR is a noisy bike especially the front rotors, fork and road noise coming straight up along the forks into the rider's face. It is inherently a loud snap-crackle-pop bike and the OP may be just new to it. Another thing that drove me nuts was my own helmet noise.
That's possible.

On my 25 minute ride home from the dealer, I did notice that I could watch the front suspension work up and down while riding. I was attempting to "see" what was clunking. I was not successful.

Compared to my Ninja1000SX (which I usually rode with my custom molded earplugs in), the FJR has a much larger windscreen and fairing, and a much larger "bubble" of still air around the pilot, than my Ninja had. And, I rode home from the dealer without ear plugs in, with the windscreen all the way up, as it was 38 degrees F that day. Hmmmm......

Last edited:
I was looking over my new 2023 FJR, and notice a big gap at the bottom of the front fairing. There are no fasteners or clips to hold the right and the left halves together. It this how its supposed to be? Or is there something missing?

Attachments

• IMG_9744.JPG
    IMG_9744.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9747.JPG
    IMG_9747.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9749.JPG
    IMG_9749.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9753.JPG
    IMG_9753.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
Definitely something not right. Unfortunately I have little knowledge of how Gen III+ body panels are attached.
Might have something to do with your clunking...

Admin note: this and the two previous posts were created as a new thread and should have have been a continuation of the existing thread on issues with a new bike. Merged and title tweaked to add the fairing issue.

Yes, .those clam-shell halves should be touching each other and the recessed tabs not in view. Did you hit something with your new bike? Could easily be the clunk.

And I have to say, I know grime can accumulate quickly on the chin, but still seems pretty yukky for a new bike. There's no shininess at all in the paint....unless it's totally covered with crud in this picture. Exactly how many miles on this new bike?

NEW BIKE.....TAKE BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM MAKE IT RIGHT!

....and I see now that the threads are merged that you are taking it into the dealer today. Good!

Admin note: this and the two previous posts were created as a new thread and should have have been a continuation of the existing thread on issues with a new bike. Merged and title tweaked to add the fairing issue.

Yes, .those clam-shell halves should be touching each other and the recessed tabs not in view. Did you hit something with your new bike? Could easily be the clunk.

And I have to say, I know grime can accumulate quickly on the chin, but still seems pretty yukky for a new bike. There's no shininess at all in the paint....unless it's totally covered with crud in this picture. Exactly how many miles on this new bike?

NEW BIKE.....TAKE BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM MAKE IT RIGHT!

....and I see now that the threads are merged that you are taking it into the dealer today. Good!
No, I didn't hit anything in the 14 mile ride home. And it was not "one clunk". As I mentioned earlier in my posts, my bike made clunking noises whenever I rode over any pavement that was somewhat rough. I could also feel the clunking each time through my handlebars/handgrips.

You may not be familiar with the roads in January in the upper Midwest. In early January, we had 3 snow storms over a one week period. That snow has been melting for the past 2 weeks, and I still have about a foot of snow in my front yard. So the roads here are now covered in gritty, grey meltwater and the puddles are unavoidable. When I rode my new bike out of the showroom last week - it was clean and spotless, with 0 miles on the odometer. I will just add to the thin film of dirt this afternoon when I ride it back to the dealer.

I was looking over my new 2023 FJR, and notice a big gap at the bottom of the front fairing. There are no fasteners or clips to hold the right and the left halves together. It this how its supposed to be? Or is there something missing?
That's definitely an issue. es there are fasteners that supposed to be there.

There should be a metal tab that supports both halves of the fairing. The metal tab is also used to support the fuel vapor charcoal canister on the California model.
The dealer missed this. Even if you hit something the metal tab would still be there, albeit bent.

Looking from under, where the L and R Fairings fronts come together at a point, you should see one or two screws. Those attach the bottoms of the fairings via a concealed molded plastic tab...

I helped a buddy pick up a brand new Honda Rubicon ATV yesterday. He's Ag exempt, so no tax. The dealership added $1600 in fees, dealer this, assembly that. A $9,400.00 atv ended up being $11k out the door (no tax). Get it back to the farm and take it a few hundred yards up and down the drive, and it dumps all the oil. Turns out they didn't finish screwing in an oil plug.
I know oil plugs aren't really that important :oops:, but I wouldn't assume anything is as it should be until you can verify it yourself. They may not have installed all the fairing fasteners to begin with, or maybe they borrowed them for another job and didn't replace them when the new parts came in, who knows.

Looking from under, where the L and R Fairings fronts come together at a point, you should see one or two screws. Those attach the bottoms of the fairings via a concealed molded plastic tab...
Picture below shows the screw. Also note the holes behind, one on each fairing, they are used for screws into a bracket that holds the carbon canister (at least on my 2018).
(Click on image for larger view)

That's the one that my dealer replaced last week. All is well now. Thanks all.
Can you be more specific? Did they replace fasteners that were missing? Did replace broken lower fairing pieces? What exactly was wrong?

And to confirm, that was the source of clunking and rattling?