Gen II ECU reflash by Ivan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this for Gen II and up only or will this work for Gen I?
As far as I know, there is no ECU reprogram for Gen I - just for Gen II and III+.

The Barbarian Jumper mod changes the CO carbon monoxide settings in the ECU and can be done to Gen I or II (procedure is different).  Sometimes used to richen up the bike at low throttle openings.  Do a search on "Barbarian" - lots of reading.

As far as I know, there is no ECU reprogram for Gen I - just for Gen II and III+.

The Barbarian Jumper mod changes the CO carbon monoxide settings in the ECU and can be done to Gen I or II (procedure is different).  Sometimes used to richen up the bike at low throttle openings.  Do a search on "Barbarian" - lots of reading.
Wow something new to F-up. Just enough knowledge to get in trouble.

Thanks Ross  

This allows you to get to a menu where you can change the CO settings.  They have to go back to 0,0,0,0.  AKA Barbarian jumper mod. for Gen II.
So those of us that never changed the CO setting don't have to do that?

So those of us that never changed the CO setting don't have to do that?
Nope, not the case Panman. As part of the reflash, all four OE CO settings need to be set to 'zero'. Until you move the ECU connector wire, the CO settings can't be accessed via the screen. 

~G

Immobilizer is in a different chip... no issues at all.

CO settings are also in a different chip... that's why the customer has to zero it out. The only part of the ecu that is rewritten is the engine control chip.

I've had several AE customers that haven't called me with any issues. You can lower the idle if you want. But I recommend staying in the range that I set everything up with. 

If you want stock with no changes then stay stock... I've not had any AE models in my shop... I'll be happy to check it out if one comes in,  but so far no complaints. 

Same ecu part number is EXACT same ecu.... it doesn't get any simpler.... I've done about a hundred or so Gen2 bikes so far with no complaints. 

If anyone wants to have a discussion,  please call on the phone during business hours. 

I just don't have the time for the web boards and forums without pissing off my wife.

Thanks,

Ivan 
 Man O Man do I get this comment!

Just took my 07 out for a spin after installing the Ivan ECU and a set of Ebay 2008 throttle bodies 

To describe the experience without getting too wordy.........

HALLELUJA!

Just took my 07 out for a spin after installing the Ivan ECU and a set of Ebay 2008 throttle bodies 

To describe the experience without getting too wordy.........

HALLELUJA!
Was your FJR’s tuning stock before you added Ivan’s ECU flash? If so, how many miles did you log on your bike before adding the ECU flash?   

I went for another ride on Sunday.   Slabbed it on the interstate for 200 miles.  Ran a constant 80-85.  Still pulled 46 mpg. Super super smooth.  Waaaaay less vibration than before.  TY Ivan! 

Was your FJR’s tuning stock before you added Ivan’s ECU flash? If so, how many miles did you log on your bike before adding the ECU flash?   

I went for another ride on Sunday.   Slabbed it on the interstate for 200 miles.  Ran a constant 80-85.  Still pulled 46 mpg. Super super smooth.  Waaaaay less vibration than before.  TY Ivan! 
Mostly stock. K&N filter. I'd added a G2 throttle tube and messed with the CO and TPS settings trying to fix the harsh throttle transition with little effect. Swapping out a 2008 throttle body assembly and getting the ECU flashed has made this a new machine. I put 90,000 miles on it before the transformation.

Immobilizer is in a different chip... no issues at all.

CO settings are also in a different chip... that's why the customer has to zero it out. The only part of the ecu that is rewritten is the engine control chip.

I've had several AE customers that haven't called me with any issues. You can lower the idle if you want. But I recommend staying in the range that I set everything up with. 

If you want stock with no changes then stay stock... I've not had any AE models in my shop... I'll be happy to check it out if one comes in,  but so far no complaints. 

Same ecu part number is EXACT same ecu.... it doesn't get any simpler.... I've done about a hundred or so Gen2 bikes so far with no complaints. 

If anyone wants to have a discussion,  please call on the phone during business hours. 

I just don't have the time for the web boards and forums without pissing off my wife.

Thanks,

Ivan 
Hi Ivan!  I've had your flashed ECUs in two bikes so far - my late great FZ1 (totaled in 2014 :(  ) and my 2014 Ninja 1000.  I considered them both the best modifications I had done to either of those bikes.  I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna keep my '08 FJR but if I ever decide to re-commit to the marriage then an ECU flash on that one will be in the cards.

Thanks for everything you do for the various riding communities :)  

I just sent mine off to him today. If any of you are considering having your ECU flashed, hurry. Ivan advised me today that he will be taking some much deserved time off...the whole month of August.

Im new to the FJR world, that being said. 3 weeks ago I bought a super clean 2012 FJR w/6,700 miles, Put a set of Michelin Road5 GT tires and on the road we went.My wife loves to ride with me when ever we get the chance, and after 37yrs of her sitting behind me on any of the bikes we've owned she pick out and notices any issues we experience while riding....So with that said we love this machine for its ride and performance, except the throttle abrupt jump when riding at low speed off/on in turns or city driving, and highway speed surge...will the reprogram of the ECU take care of this and still allow the use of Reg 87 fuel?

Im new to the FJR world, that being said. 3 weeks ago I bought a super clean 2012 FJR w/6,700 miles, Put a set of Michelin Road5 GT tires and on the road we went.My wife loves to ride with me when ever we get the chance, and after 37yrs of her sitting behind me on any of the bikes we've owned she pick out and notices any issues we experience while riding....So with that said we love this machine for its ride and performance, except the throttle abrupt jump when riding at low speed off/on in turns or city driving, and highway speed surge...will the reprogram of the ECU take care of this and still allow the use of Reg 87 fuel?
By 2012, Yamaha had greatly improved their fuel mapping - way better than the earlier Gen II models.  I find that my 2011 is far better than the 2007 that I put 185,000 miles on over the span of 8 years or so.   Some of it is getting used to the throttle response but there is a possibility that you have another issue.  A 2012 with just 6700 miles has not been ridden very much and it would be worth trying some stuff if you are having issues.  (What bikes have you been riding recently?  The FJR may feel abrupt on the throttle compared to a lower performance motorcycle or compared to a carbureted bike.)

Try a couple doses of Yamaha Ring-Free (or Seafoam) in the gas.  If the bike has sat for an extended period of time, there is a possibility that the fuel injectors have gummed up and the fuel treatment might or might not help.  Possibly need to have injectors serviced.

Visually inspect the tank for corrosion - not common but could be an issue if improperly stored.

Change plugs. 

Make sure throttle body synch is good.

Adjust throttle free play as per the manual (can make a surprising difference).

Check air filter to make sure nothing has nested in it over the years.

Ride the snot out of it for a couple thousand miles or more.  Get any junk cleaned out of the system and give yourself some time to get used to how it works.

As per SkooterG's response, the reflash could help but I wouldn't spend the money until you checked out the other stuff.  If there is a mechanical root cause, the reflash won't help.  I think some people have used regular gas after the reflash but not much information on performance (Ivan recommends higher octane).