Shad SH48 Topcase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
After meeting Git-R-Dan and seeing his set-up, I knew I had to get a topcase like his. Well, it finally arrived today and I wasted no time:

1. Making sure that my 17" widescreen laptop would fit. No problem. In fact, it fits with its carrying case as well with room to spare!

2. Mounting it up and admiring the results.

Pictures:

From the right side. This thing is big!

Right.JPG

Rear:

Rear.JPG

With its big mouth open:

Open.JPG

Mounting plate:

Mounting%20Plate.JPG

Attachment to bike:

Attachment.JPG

And backrest:

Backrest.JPG

I really like this box. Very well constructed with secure mounting/locking and weatherproof seal. There's an optional brake light kit available, but I decided against it. Mine is the matt black version, but color matching is available for more $$$.

I searched the net pretty thoroughly for the best price and came up with a decent one. Not sure if I'm alowed to post the vendor here, maybe an admin will chime in on that. In the meantine, if anyone is interested in the Shad line, PM me and I'll give you the vendor info.

Last edited by a moderator:
After meeting Git-R-Dan and seeing his set-up, I knew I had to get a topcase like his. Well, it finally arrived today and I wasted no time:
1. Making sure that my 17" widescreen laptop would fit. No problem. In fact, it fits with its carrying case as well with room to spare!

2. Mounting it up and admiring the results.

Pictures:

From the right side. This thing is big!

Right.JPG

Rear:

Rear.JPG

With its big mouth open:

Open.JPG

Mounting plate:

Mounting%20Plate.JPG

Attachment to bike:

Attachment.JPG

And backrest:

Backrest.JPG

I really like this box. Very well constructed with secure mounting/locking and weatherproof seal. There's an optional brake light kit available, but I decided against it. Mine is the matt black version, but color matching is available for more $$$.

I searched the net pretty thoroughly for the best price and came up with a decent one. Not sure if I'm alowed to post the vendor here, maybe an admin will chime in on that. In the meantine, if anyone is interested in the Shad line, PM me and I'll give you the vendor info.
OK go ahead and tell me where to send the check!! I was unable to find a supplier in the US. Does the 48 release ez? And could you please post a side shot showing the bike and the box?

Cosmopolitan Motors used to be the US distributor, in March it sounded like they were getting out of them:clicky. When I talked to them on the phone they had sold so many on sale they indicated they might import some more.

Does the 48 release ez?
Yup! Turn the key, pull the lever and off she comes.

That looks nice! Does that same mounting bracket fit the Pre 06's?
No. Evidently, you have to buy a special adapter bracket for the pre-06 models.

OK go ahead and tell me where to send the check!! I was unable to find a supplier in the US. Does the 48 release ez? And could you please post a side shot showing the bike and the box?
I guess the Admins can delete this if not appropriate, but here is the contact info:

adventuremotousa.com

561-242-5158

Ask for Claudio

I'll get a full side shot up this afternoon.

That's not bad.

What is the value? Have you tried riding with a pillion and the box yet? Comments from pillion? Can the box be moved back any further, or is that the only position? Is that the key lock (lower right, under handle)?

Cheers

That's not bad.
What is the value? Have you tried riding with a pillion and the box yet? Comments from pillion? Can the box be moved back any further, or is that the only position? Is that the key lock (lower right, under handle)?

Cheers
$270 for the box, and an extra $35 for the backrest.

No pillion tester yet, but I'm taking applications. :p

The box can be moved further back on the 06 - 07's. Don't know about earlier models.

Yes that is the key lock. It locks both the lid and the mounting bracket.

1) What is the value? 2) Have you tried riding with a pillion and the box yet?

3) Comments from pillion?

4) Can the box be moved back any further, or is that the only position?

5) Is that the key lock (lower right, under handle)?

Cheers
1) I don't know if they are still doing this, but I bought mine from Cosmo for $289. That included the box, tail lamp, pillion pad, and a mounting bracket (not like the one pictured) specifically for the FJR, and shipping. You can't beat that.

2) Yes

3) Wifes coat has a built in back protection. She liked the box without the pad, but since I bought it the pad went on anyways. The pad doesn't provide lower back support (obviously), so it takes some getting used to.

4) Not with my bracket, can't say about the other system.

5) Yup, top handle opens the box, bottom handle takes the box off the bike.

Those are nice looking cases but be aware that attaching them to the stock plastic rack is not a real great idea IMO.

My reasoning is that the stock rack is rated for about 12 lbs. If you really load that box up for a trip you might be putting quite a bit more weight in there.

I've recently bought a givi rack for my 06 and I beleive it's rated for 22lbs. I'm wondering if the mounting plate can be adapted to a givi rack which is much beefier.

Another cosideration here is if you ride with a pillon and I do not, it seems to me that drilling holes through your stock plastic rack to support the plate and mount the box to it that in hard exceleration the plastic rack could snap off and your SO goes flying.Just a thought.

Those are nice looking cases but be aware that attaching them to the stock plastic rack is not a real great idea IMO.
The rack on my 07 appears to be a cast metal piece. Or are you refering to the mounting plate for the topcase? The topcase mounting plate is metal with a plastic cover. Quite secure.

1) I don't know if they are still doing this, but I bought mine from Cosmo for $289. That included the box, tail lamp, pillion pad, and a mounting bracket (not like the one pictured) specifically for the FJR, and shipping. You can't beat that.
is there a website for 'Cosmo'? Stop looking.....found it. Thanks.

The rack on my 07 appears to be a cast metal piece. Or are you refering to the mounting plate for the topcase? The topcase mounting plate is metal with a plastic cover. Quite secure.
If your stock rack is the same as the one on my 06 its plastic and I personally wouldn't attach anything to it with weigh bearing against it.

Bob - Man, that looks great on that dark cherry! :clapping: Here's pics of mine in a previous thread. Now have over 14k w/ two trips to FL and it's as stable as it was when new. Couldn't be more satisfied with it. What was cool was getting to the hotel and pulling the luggage cart out to the bike and, w/ very little trouble, unlocking and loading the three cases on and pushing to the room. OK, I excite easily. On the 1st trip, had that case loaded to the hilt and went through heavy rains, tornados, flying cows, etc. w/ NO leaks. Definitely one of the best farkles on my bike. Found a real good professional painter, friend of my son-n-law's, that does the high-dollar-auto re-painting in town who will match the color and paint it for $150. Another $100 gets "fjrforum.com" and "git-r-dan" on there.

git-r-dan :beach:

Do you have any more information on this trunk like what was the part number for the rack? Did you have to do any drilling for it to fit? Does it come specifically for the FJR? Sorry for all the questions, I am interesed in putting one of these on my 06 AE and want to make sure that I get well informed before committing to a purchase. :D

Do you have any more information on this trunk like what was the part number for the rack? Did you have to do any drilling for it to fit? Does it come specifically for the FJR? Sorry for all the questions, I am interesed in putting one of these on my 06 AE and want to make sure that I get well informed before committing to a purchase. :D
The "rack", or mounting plate, comes with the topcase. I'm not aware of a part number and I have since disposed of the documentation.

No holes were drilled for this installation. The clamps that you see in one of the pics attach through the mounting plate and grip the underside of the bike's tail plate. I also used automotive double-sided foam tape between the mounting plate and the bike so as not to scratch the paint.