Custom Freeway peg review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesonicboom

Reaction score
Here is some picts of some highway pegs I made using old wild bill mounts and k peg offsets with small iso mount pegs. They look good, unobtrusive and let me stretch my leg all the way out. Just don't corner with them down. No loss of lean angle when folded since they extend out about the same as the rider's stock peg. I will be at WFO-6 if you all want a close up look. Enjoy the picts. Questions, just ask, I'll be happy to share what I did.

0523071359a.jpg

0523071400a.jpg

0523071400b.jpg

0523071400c.jpg

0523071400e.jpg

0523071400d.jpg

Nice setup TSB. I have the same setup except yours have a longer extension to the peg which is what I need to do. Not having enough extension to the peg my inner calf hits on the outer faring edge which is not that bad but after many miles you begin to notice. Also I had the brackets and pegs powdercoated in gloss black which IMO makes them blend with the rest of the bike a little more. Question is what extension did you use and do you touch the faring while riding? Thanks for the info and the nice pics. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta have some of those! :clapping:

Nice job. :clapping: Only wish I could put them on to GO to WFO-6.

Got a little problem which blood clots behind the knees, they tell me.

All I know is it hurts :blink: like heck after a little while with my knees bent up for long periods as in "touring".

It's h&)( getting old. If I had known I would live this long I certainly would have taken better care of myself. :dribble:

LC

I have the same setup except the shorter pegs from K.

One tip -- I found I needed to make those extensions (the angled ones connected to the mounts) parallel to the ground. I'm not a real aggressive rider, but I was scraping those things when they were pointed down, and they don't give.

That's definitely going to make your life easier. Nice job.

I have the same setup except the shorter pegs from K.
One tip -- I found I needed to make those extensions (the angled ones connected to the mounts) parallel to the ground. I'm not a real aggressive rider, but I was scraping those things when they were pointed down, and they don't give.

That's definitely going to make your life easier. Nice job.
+1

Wait a minute that is frowned upon. :angry:

+1 I have the 8000 series pegs from K.

Here is the part numbers from kuryakn I used. offset small iso mount peg set #7998. 2 1/2" ISO PEG extenders 8064. I have the offset peg mounts at kinda like a 45^ angle and I have not scraped them yet. I do agree that I wish they were a powder coat silver or black to blend in, but I already spend $250 for the whole set up. Money well spent for comfort, especially in the knees. I took a 1301 mile trip to lead and deadwood last year and wore my leathers the whole trip. I used to have hard armor in the knees (removed those damn things and replaced them with TPRO armour) and with my knees flexed for so long, it killed me. Glad you all like it, I definately think it looks good and works even better.

I did something similar yesterday, but I did not use peg extenders. I got the Kuryakyn #7996 offset mount, and the Kuryakyn peg #8000. And I used the bracket from Wild Bill, but got it powder coated by Garauld. The bracket looks great and blends in very well. The chrome, however, on the Kuryakyn hardware sorta stands out, but it's ok.

I have carbon fiber armor over the stator, and had to use a Dremel tool to carve out some room in the carbon fiber for one of the bolts to mount the Wild Bill bracket. If you look close, you can see it on the bottom photo.... the middle bolt.

Also, the Kuryakyn offset mount has a 1/2" bolt, so I had to enlarge the 3/8" hole in Wild Bill's bracket.

I just installed everything yesterday, and went for a short test ride. With the offset mounts (which can be rotated 360 degrees) in the forward position, my legs hit the tupperwear, but it's not too bad. I will try different positions for the offset mount and see what configuration works best.

I'm not sure if the oil filter can still be removed with this Wild Bill bracket in place. Anyone know?

pegs.jpg

pegs2.jpg

"I'm not sure if the oil filter can still be removed with this Wild Bill bracket in place. Anyone know?"

The bigger bolt head on the 7996 offset hits the filter near the end of removal. You either take the offset off first or loosen the bolts holding the peg mount to the stator cover.

"I'm not sure if the oil filter can still be removed with this Wild Bill bracket in place. Anyone know?"
The bigger bolt head on the 7996 offset hits the filter near the end of removal. You either take the offset off first or loosen the bolts holding the peg mount to the stator cover.
Its a close fit but the filter comes right off and I use the long filter as well and nothing is removed or loosened. PM. <><

Its a close fit but the filter comes right off and I use the long filter as well and nothing is removed or loosened. PM. <><
Mine doesn't, you used the bolt that came with the offset? :unsure:

1. I've had the WB brackets on since they first became available. The OEM filter clears fine if you use a strap-style filter wrench.

2. Set the "dog legs" of your Kury pegs so that they are higher than the lowest edge of your bike. Otherwise you'll touch down sooner than your foot pegs and it will be onto rigid bits that don't fold or forgive.

I did something similar yesterday, but I did not use peg extenders. I got the Kuryakyn #7996 offset mount, and the Kuryakyn peg #8000. And I used the bracket from Wild Bill, but got it powder coated by Garauld. The bracket looks great and blends in very well. The chrome, however, on the Kuryakyn hardware sorta stands out, but it's ok.
I have carbon fiber armor over the stator, and had to use a Dremel tool to carve out some room in the carbon fiber for one of the bolts to mount the Wild Bill bracket. If you look close, you can see it on the bottom photo.... the middle bolt.

Also, the Kuryakyn offset mount has a 1/2" bolt, so I had to enlarge the 3/8" hole in Wild Bill's bracket.

I just installed everything yesterday, and went for a short test ride. With the offset mounts (which can be rotated 360 degrees) in the forward position, my legs hit the tupperwear, but it's not too bad. I will try different positions for the offset mount and see what configuration works best.

I'm not sure if the oil filter can still be removed with this Wild Bill bracket in place. Anyone know?

pegs.jpg

pegs2.jpg

Oil filter does come off with the footpegs in place, no problem.

Here is the part numbers from kuryakn I used. offset small iso mount peg set #7998. 2 1/2" ISO PEG extenders 8064. I have the offset peg mounts at kinda like a 45^ angle and I have not scraped them yet. I do agree that I wish they were a powder coat silver or black to blend in, but I already spend $250 for the whole set up. Money well spent for comfort, especially in the knees. I took a 1301 mile trip to lead and deadwood last year and wore my leathers the whole trip. I used to have hard armor in the knees (removed those damn things and replaced them with TPRO armour) and with my knees flexed for so long, it killed me. Glad you all like it, I definately think it looks good and works even better.
Would it be better with the K 8002 pegs which are slightly longer??

1. I've had the WB brackets on since they first became available. The OEM filter clears fine if you use a strap-style filter wrench.
2. Set the "dog legs" of your Kury pegs so that they are higher than the lowest edge of your bike. Otherwise you'll touch down sooner than your foot pegs and it will be onto rigid bits that don't fold or forgive.
I use Pure One filters so that is why mine won't clear the bolt head. :rolleyes:

Yep, it can, and you can also install it, but you do need to losen the bolts on wild bills bracket to get it to start to thread correctly, at least I did have to.

Would it be better with the K 8002 pegs which are slightly longer??
Xbrit, yes it sure is better to have the longer pegs. If you use the setup as in the pics which is the same ones I use, my inner calves hit on the edge of the plastic on the faring. Its not that bad but does hit. I am about 5' 11" and somewhat shrunkin. Naturally the pegs will be folded up while enjoying the twists and turns the good Lord has provided......PM. <>< :D

I used the 2.5" iso peg extenders which gave me plenty of clearance from the fairing. The 8002 pegs are only 1/8" longer and are 1/4" bigger in diameter. Using the large pegs will make them stand out more that the small ones. in the grand scheme of things, 1/8" is not going to make or break your ride. Using the peg extenders, you can get a longer peg that lets your legs clear the fairing and fold up nice and tight to the bike. They also have the longhorn offset which is the same thing as what I did, but 3.25" offset versus 2" offset, which makes it better for longer legged people.