Heat in Final Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStar

Reaction score
I was on a forty minute ride today and after returning to the house I decided to see if the final gear was getting hot. Well it was hot and felt hotter than I orginally thought that it should be. My question is should you be able to rest a hand on it, or should it be so hot that you can not leave your hand on it. I also noticed a build up of dust on the rear wheel rim at the center of the wheel. I did not think that this was brake dust because there was none on the front wheel. Any thoughts?

I was on a forty minute ride today and after returning to the house I decided to see if the final gear was getting hot. Well it was hot and felt hotter than I orginally thought that it should be. My question is should you be able to rest a hand on it, or should it be so hot that you can not leave your hand on it. I also noticed a build up of dust on the rear wheel rim at the center of the wheel. I did not think that this was brake dust because there was none on the front wheel. Any thoughts?

I would think it gets pretty damn hot.

It's connected to the engine/trans and those gears spinning around got to generate some heat.

Slide under your car and touch the pumpkin after a long ride. I think you'll find it warm.

The final drive will run pretty warm. I wouldn't expect to be able to lay a hand on it (for very long anyway....) after running at highway speeds. The temp is going to vary according to the speed and load. Since Yamaha specs a special lube for it (that they are very proud of) they must expect it to run pretty warm....warm enough to require a synthetic gear oil. What you describe sounds perfectly normal from my experience.

Not sure about the dust observation. I always assumed the rear wheel gets dirtier because it is following the front tire that is kicking up dust to be deposited inside the rear wheel.

... My question is should you be able to rest a hand on it, or should it be so hot that you can not leave your hand on it. I also noticed a build up of dust on the rear wheel rim at the center of the wheel. I did not think that this was brake dust because there was none on the front wheel. Any thoughts?
If your rear brake is binding (or you're resting your foot on the lever a bit) then maybe it is brake dust on the wheel, and it's the brake's heat getting to the rear drive. Put it on the stand and see if the wheel spins OK.

Just a thought.

Astar,

Considering the absolute dearth of rear drive failures with this bike, I wouldn't get too concerned about it - unless the last person that changed the rear drive fluid forgot to put in the new stuff after draining out the old.... now that could be a problem.

If all you've got on your rear wheel is dust, consider yourself lucky. Me, I've got dust, excess Honda Moly60, bug guts, , chewing gum wads, miscellaneous animal parts, tobacco juice, and even some fresh seal coat compliments of UDOT. Not a pretty sight, but it still turns.

And it doesn't leak pretty purple fluid all over the road. ;)

Thanks for the input. I changed the gear oil myself about 900 miles ago. I checked the level after the ride and it was fine. I was just worried about nothing I guess. I will probably not crawl under the car and put my hand on the pumpkin.

I guess. I will probably not crawl under the car and put my hand on the pumpkin.

I wouldn't either but you never know when someone will fall for that old trick :rolleyes:

But I bet a lot of members are now going to touch their final drive. I know I do evey morning about 6:00am :unsure:

I too was surprized to find out how hot it gets. It won't burn you, but you'd be hard pressed to hold your hand on it after a good run. The pickup diff. on the highway gets too hot to touch even traveling with no load.

I "need" another farkle...don't have a plan install for April yet

would one of those auto chain oilers work with water spraying on the rear end ???

I want a rear end that's really "cool"... :yahoo:

:rolleyes: