0.2hp On The Erie Canal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
So, I'm planning to bicycle the Erie Canal in a few weeks. Per Google a trained athlete can generate 0.3hp for 7 hours, thus the title. I figure I'm not a trained athlete but this isn't my first bicycle tour either, so 0.2hp seems reasonable!

Anyway, the wife and I plan to do some camping and B&B along the way. We are starting in Buffalo, NY and ending in Albany, NY. I've been doing some research but wanted to hear what folks here might contribute, so:

Any must see stops?

Places to stay?

Places to camp?

Places to eat?

Any fly fishing along the bicycle trail?

So, why would one bother? Well the short story is that after my DRZ busted up my ankle, OK it wasn't the bike it was my fault; but ignore that for now. After my injury, running wasn't an option and I thought I like motorcycle touring maybe I'll buy a touring bicycle as a daily ride and try a few trips. Well this is trip 3 for the wife and I we both really enjoy it; and she gets her own ride!

So any tips you might have along the way would be appreciated.

Nik

I used to live in Rochester and when I was younger the extended family would get together at least once a year and go a ways in either direction. Never made a long run like you're talking about, and it's been 20 years. One thing I do remember is that the path is definitely not paved end-to-end, so be prepared for dirt sections. Not terribly rugged dirt, but if you're on a pure road bike, it won't be fun.

As for food, drink, and accomodations: most of the smaller towns right on the canal have plenty to offer on all fronts. Do some research on the various towns you'll be going through (Lockport, Fairport, Brockport, etc.) and find out when their assorted 'Canal Days' festivals are planned. See if you can time it to check them out. A very nice atmosphere, lots of arts and crafts shows from local artists, music food, and other fun. Many of the vendors will likely be willing to hold or ship your purchases once you explain you're on a bike tour. If you aren't able to time it for the Canal specific festival, don't worry. Almost all of those canal towns have some sort of festival going most weekends.

And just like everything else here: Ride your ride, be safe, and have fun!

in 1999 I rode my Cannondale Touring Bike on the Northern Tier route, from Bar Harbor Maine to Anacortes Washington. My route included part of the Erie Canal. Per my recollection there are plenty of places to eat, camp etc along the way. I don't recall any major steep grades along the canal and as mentioned above parts of the trail can be a bit rough and loose at times but not a big deal.

You can get detailed maps that include very good info on route conditions, expected seasonal weather, camping spots, interesting historical places etc. from Adventure Cycling, https://www.adventurecycling.org

Hope this helps,

Pat in San Diego

"0.2 HP" would be more impressive it you'd have said 509 BTU/hr, or better yet 128,000 calories/hr.
biggrin.png

Joe, I think those are kilocalories per hour as 'calories' are usually expressed. I'm sure I can easily (and regularly do) consume 128 'calories' in an hour. Doesn't most beer come in around 200 calories per 12oz?

0.2 HP is about 150 watts also. That sounds about right for moderate bicycle pedaling.

All I know is that, in 30 minutes on the elliptical "torture" machine, I've been burning 530 calories, 3-4 times a week since the end of January...down 21 lbs and almost ready to get back onto my bicycle.

Made it! 400.6 miles in 7 days. Ate and drank whatever I wanted and must have balanced my calorie intake pretty well only gained 1 lb.! Great trip, friendly folks, good eats and cycling conditions.