'06 AE Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to take out my air filter on my '06 FJR1300AE, just to take a look at it and clean it out a bit. See how crappy it was. MAN, what an ordeal getting that damn thing out!!! This is a consumable item. Should it not be easy to access? What were the design dudes thinking??? Am I missing something here? Is there a trick to getting to it?
Please share, if so. Thanks guys!

There's no trick. It is indeed a PITA.

I finally installed a K&N on my '05 and never looked at it again. I've done the same on my '08 and will never check it again. What are those engineers thinking?

Ed

Now that it's apart, great time to find that local dealers don't keep item in stock! Good thing it's raining for a few days to allow garage time.

Got my K&N installed today after leaving it sitting on the bench for two weeks. That is how much I procrastinated about taking that crap apart - major PIA. The AEs are the best except when it comes to changing the filter! At least now I can go a little longer than stock with the K&N.

I'm about ready to change the airfilter on my 2006A for the first time. After looking at the FJR "how to" page, it seems to be a fairly simple procedure. I know that the AE is said to be more difficult but the A seems pretty straight forward. Am I in for a rude awakening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is this "how to" page? Is there a supposedly simple way to change out the AE filter??? It was a b_tch when I did it! I can find no hints for an AE. ;-(

**HINT** Get a good aftermarket, don't ride it so it doesn't get dirty, and keep it sealed under a cover. :lol:

If you don't do any of that, then there is no hope, no shortcut, no dice - the filter check/change is the only thing I don't like about my sweet, sweet AE (well, that and all the $$$ she keeps making me spend on her.)