06 FJR vs R1 in the Canyons: First Impression

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmn8er

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love my new 06 FJR. Let me also say I know this bike is TOTALLY different than an R1. Sport bikes are all I have come to know. There all I have really ridden, and I've had a bunch, so bear with me as I ride and review the 2006 FJR in sport-bike country. I recently sold my 2004 R1 (immaculate) with only 7500 miles on her. Almost all the miles were either in the local mountains, or on one of several fairly long rides I took. I did very little commuting, but almost all great roads. I knew selling the R1 would be tough. I have owned 9 bikes, all very sporty. I got tired of the pain in the neck, back, ass, and most every body part riding the bike over 100 miles seemed to inflict. So I bought the new FJR, knowing perfectly well it would not be close to an R1 in handling. After having my new FJR for a few weeks now, I finally got around to taking it on a road I know well, a road I have sliced and diced on any number of crotch rockets. I was unsure what to expect from the FJR. Sure, I rode it along the coast a few hundred miles to get her home when I bought her up north, but this was the first dedicated canyon ride. I fully geared up, and headed out today for a 3.5 hour ride.

If you have ever rode a 2004 or later R1 one, or most of the new Hyper-Sport bikes, you know they are two bikes in the power sense. My R1 was mild-mannered till about 9500 RPM. Upon full throttle from 9500 to almost 14,000, it was a fire-breathing bike capable of ripping your arms clear out of the socket, then beat you with them. It's power upon exiting a turn was so explosive, it is hard to describe. Now enter the FJR. I started up the Canyon very slow, gradually increasing speed, and working into a nice flowing rhythm. The bike feels big. I know, the bike IS big. Keep in mind this is my first time riding the FJR in tight turns as well as fast sweepers. The bike turns in VERY easy, almost too easy. I find I can steer her with the throttle, getting more or less over-steer using the power. Speaking of power, I really do not need to shift. I was in 4th gear most of the day, anywhere from 40 to 90 MPH. Can you say stump-pulling torque? The R1 has to have it's neck rung to make the power. She felt stable, yet big and heavy. Power was softer than I had expected going up the mountains, yet more then one really needs. Coming off a 180 HP 449 lb (wet) bike, no wonder here. Not really knowing the bike yet, I took it easy. Braking feels great, but you are stopping a lot of weight, so once again I was very conservative. No power wheelies exiting turns no redline shifts (yet), just smooth power, whisper quiet exhaust note, and a civilized feel. The bike does not make my heart race or scare me with the power; it soothes me in its capabilities and reassures me with its refinement. The bike instills a confidence, knowing you have such a well-rounded motorcycle capable of doing so much, so well.

Bottom line, it handles very well for what it is, but I simply am not good enough to ride it even close to as fast as I rode the R1. I know, that’s NOT what its made for right? I will have to adjust. I will learn to accept and fully appreciate what a great bike I (we) have. Blasting down HWY 138 coming home, one notices the things it does so much better than the R1. Wind protection is 50% better. Blasting through the desert at 80-100 MPH with the bike not even breaking a sweat it is clear this bike is the better traveler. Even the seat is SO much better then the R1.

Well I know that’s not a fair comparison to make, but an inevitable one for me to make. Perhaps some of you can relate having come off a Sport bike. Regardless, I LOVE my new FJR!

My R1, rest her soul...

Angeles%20Crest%207-18-04%20048.jpg

My buddy and his old-school Katana 1100 alongside the R1

Angeles%20Crest%208-01-04%20009.jpg

No, it's not an R1, but don't let that fool ya ;)

You said you played in 4th all day, put it in 3rd and let it breath and get your ass off the seat and your weight on the pegs, I think you'll be surprised even more how closer you get.

Go have some fun! :yahoo:

Oh, and I LOVE that color R1, tis my favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes very interesting and I know where you are coming from sort of.

I have a 06 GSX-R 1000 and an 05 FJR1300. Some days I feel like I can ride my FJR more aggressively than the GSX-R. I don't know why.

I love that little gixxer and I had to try one but this is what I'm thinking. I'll put some Heli Bars on it next spring and spend another summer with it. Then I think I'll sell both bikes and get a newer FJR.

The FJR is that good IMO.

-r

No, it's not an R1, but don't let that fool ya ;)
You said you played in 4th all day, put it in 3rd and let it breath and get your ass off the seat and your weight on the pegs, I think you'll be surprised even more how closer you get.

Go have some fun! :yahoo:

Oh, and I LOVE that color R1, tis my favorite.
Yea, I could see running higher RPM to keep it cooking, but the nice thing you don't have to, it makes that much torque. Getting off the seat and more aggresive is the ticket, but not on my first canyon ride. I have no problem tossing her salad, but a little at a time. I can see the bike as that good. Thanks for the reply!

Yes very interesting and I know where you are coming from sort of.
I have a 06 GSX-R 1000 and an 05 FJR1300. Some days I feel like I can ride my FJR more aggressively than the GSX-R. I don't know why.

I love that little gixxer and I had to try one but this is what I'm thinking. I'll put some Heli Bars on it next spring and spend another summer with it. Then I think I'll sell both bikes and get a newer FJR.

The FJR is that good IMO.

-r
Wow. It's so good to hear the praises from one who has had one a while and would/will buy another. Very cool!

trmn8er,

Good post, and an interesting read. Alway fun to read alternative viewpoints and experiences.

My last bike was a 750 Ninja 13 years ago, so those memories are very fuzzy. The new ones on the FJR are just fine though!

If you want to talk about a slow trip on Angeles Crest try it in a Toyota Coralla rental car! Did that a few weeks ago while visiting S. Cal. for the first time in @ 10 years. I would have loved to have had my '06 FJR under me. For a big, shaft drive bike it is very good handling. While we don't have mountains here in N. IN or S. MI the big bike does a very capable job on the bumpy backroads around here that do have curves.

Mine did not come with the BS and the Metzlers she has do not give me the feeling of confidence I had on my '03 FJR even though the handling and ride on the '06 are noticeably improved from my '03. A crotch rocket it isn't, but a high speed road runner she is....enjoy! DFO :D

Nice read, keep doing what you are doing, too many people pay too much money for these bikes to go out and ride them like they have had them for years only to be asking for part sources or insurance claims! :(

Play it safe, you wil get use to it, what did you think of the ABS?

Thanks for the interesting post. My experience might interest you.

I was big into sport bikes all through the '70s until mid '80s. I road raced in the early to mid 80's. My primary race bike was a '81 Honda 750F. I also road a couple of 750 Intereceptors, 1000 Interceptor, 550 GPZ Kawasaki, and 550 Yamaha Seca on the race track. I also owned a Honda 1100 F street bike that I raced once just for grins.

I was then away from motorcycles for 17 years before buying a ST1300 Honda two years ago (then trading it for my FJR in May). I also have a Goldwing for two-up riding.

With that long introduction, here is my point. The state of motorcyling has come so far that the FJR would probably turn about the same lap times on a track as my '83 Honda 1100F - which at the time was the fastest (or within a tenth of being the fastest) motorcycle made. The "Superbikes" of that day were based upon the 750/900/1100 F bikes.

So, to me, the FJR is the perfect ride. While not in the category of todays superbikes, it's comfortable enough for an old guy like me, but still very capable.

I've also only ridden sport bikes my whole life and I still have my ZZR1200 which is supposedly a "Sport-Touring" bike as well but the FJR wins hands down for sports-TOURING, especially with a passenger. I drug the pegs on the FJR the day after I bought it and I've done it a few more times since still trying to get used to turning the bike. I know my ZZR would beat it in any "performance" competition but I bought it so I can take my wife and plenty of luggage on trips comfortably so I have no complaints becuase that's something the ZZR CAN'T do.

The FJR is easy to ride, comfortable to ride, inspires confidence, minimal maintenance, great MPG, and built very well compared to most of today's sport bikes that are built barely well enough to last their 2-3 year expected life.

I'm about as fast on an FJR as an all-out sporbike mainly because I'm more comfortable, can see better, and the softer power doesn't upset the chassis so much. All-out sportbikes are optimized for the racetrack and banterweight racers, not real roads and people with a middle-age spread.

Having said this, where the FJR really lets one down is corner clearance - a R1 can easily generate 5-degrees more lean before grounding than a FJR and that can translate to a couple mph more corner speed which over ten or fifteen corners means the R1 rider will be out of sight. (Of course, that extra five degrees translates to much reduced margins for "oh my god" mid-corner surprises like gravel, cars over the centerline, deer, etc. so you also have to be willing to accept the additional risk to make use of it.) If the FJR didn't have this limitation, it would be virtually a dead heat between the two, at least with me on board.

- Mark

Good post but you mentioned keeping it geared up. The character will change if you "let the big dog eat."

Nice read, keep doing what you are doing, too many people pay too much money for these bikes to go out and ride them like they have had them for years only to be asking for part sources or insurance claims! :(

Play it safe, you wil get use to it, what did you think of the ABS?
Not too impressed with the braking, but in all fairness, it's because the bike is so heavy. Once again, coming off the R1 (which will throw your eyeballs 100 yards off your head) they feel ok. I will not likely be as fast as I was on the R1, not now, not ever. I will ride it toally different than I did that bike. Like some have mentioned, there is not enough clearance to get the kind of lean angles I could on that bike. I like your advice. I will keep doing what I'm doing. :D

Good post but you mentioned keeping it geared up. The character will change if you "let the big dog eat."
I did some of that, keeping the RPM's higher, but the power was just ok. Horse power I mean. The torque is what impressed me. Top end is so linear, so predictable, it's easy to control. NEVER have I felt like "oh shit this things fast". More like, "Wow! What bottom end torque"!

I think I am going to put my harley back together and worry more about how many chicks want to ride with me then how fast they want to turn a corner.

dumb question, if you were able to change the exausts cans or move your pegs higher, would you still try to get that extra lean angle on the corners?

dumb question, if you were able to change the exausts cans or move your pegs higher, would you still try to get that extra lean angle on the corners?
Not likely to that extreme, but as many have mentioned, the clearance is pretty. Having said all of the above, I AM happy, it's just plain different. Now I am off in the am up North for a ride with my brother. I LOVE MY FJR!

Nice write up, and thanks. Having put three times the miles on my 05 FJR as you had on your 04 R1 may be the biggest difference you'll notice. Going places is more fun because at the end, you aren't in pain so you'll stack on the miles! Now you can think in terms of 4-500 mile days instead of 100. Welcome to Sport Touring Heaven!

Nice write up and I agree. The FJR most definitely has sportbike DNA, just a little more meat on her bones.

I regularly ride the FJR with the sportbike club and love to harass the sportbikes and be comfortable.

I love my R-1 and just brought home a new 06. My '02 R-1 is now track only.

As a LA Crest rider, I am sure you know Big Tujunga as well. The Crest is too CHP and Sheriff and we, my group, have found Big T up and left at the stop sign and over to Palmdale a lonely ride with little to no regular enforcement. Newcombs has new ownership but we still stop there on the rides.

See you up there, and glad you like the FJR like the rest of us. :evilsmiley03: