08 ignition switch failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
INFO ADDED to original message at the bottom

Apparently it's a problem for 08s too.

I go for a nice ride in the mountains, bike runs perfectly (only 1600 miles on her), and I stop for a hot dog in Creede.

When I come out it is pouring rain but I want to get on the road. Key in, switch on, dials sweep, light come on, all is goo. Turn key, crank, crank, crank... battery doesn't sound so strong after a while and I'm getting worried.

Eventually I remember the threads I've glanced at about switch failures. I reach down to the loom, give the bundle of wires a little press upward and VRRROOOM she starts. No problems on the way home and it starts just fine twice for stop I had to make.

I remember that I've had a couple of other very brief no start incidents.

So the symptoms are:

1) lights come on

2) cranks just fine

3) no ignition though

From what I read here, this is possible. Correct?

I'm gonna look at the parts of the next couple of days, maybe disassemble, clean and solder, etc. And thanks to reading I know how to do an emergency hotwire.

Thanks to all.

NEW INFO

- bike has no mods except for painting the tank collar and adding a luggage rack and backrest. I don't think these caused it

- YELLOW LIGHT came on during failed attempts to start (sorry, I just remembered this). So I'm going to read about this and I'll get back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you do anything, I would have a dealer have a look at it and make sure it gets recorded.

Not sure about the particulars but there is a way to check for error codes. Maybe someone with more know how could chime in. Ditto on having the dealer check it out if you can't do it yourself. Hope it gets worked out. PM. <>< :D

Note: Did a search after first responding to this and came up with this..... Ignition Switch Repair/Emergency Fix

There are others. Don't know if this is your problem because in the ignition swith problems I've heard of in the Gen II's the power goes completely away when the problem occur's. And you say your's had power and cranked but didn't start. Could be another issue altogether.

Also, don't know if the 08 has the same issue of the 06, 07's but the wire loom on these two years are tie-wrapped too tight/too close to the ignitions switch causing undue stress on the wires entering the ignition switch. Most have cut the tie-wraps and moved them down farther away from the swith or loosend the tie up. After doing this some have still had switch failures. Check this link out as well.... Ignition Switch Failure Gen II

Seems most failers were 06 with an 07 but would be interesting to have a poll with failures and years up to date. One was taken but its been a while. Here is another excellent post about this issue of switches.... Clicky

Keep us updated on your issue and if any other 08's have your issue so it could be tracked as well.

PM. <>< :D

I don't think yours is an Ignition Failure. Like Painman said, when you have an Ignition Failure, everything goes out. No lights, no gauges, nothing. That's what happened to me.

Again, doesnt sound like an ignition failure. I've had that happen to me once. I had turned the key to what I THOUGHT was the normal running position and the speedo swept and all looked normal. The bike cranked but wouldnt start. I then realized that the key was slightly short of the position it supposed to be in to run. A tiny adjustment clockwise and it clicked into place and the bike started no problem. Did you possibly recycle the key before you reached down to fiddled with the wires? You may just think that touching the wires was the fix when actually recycleing the key did the trick.

PROBLEM SOLVED - operator is an idiot!

Rondo had it just right, key wasn't turned far enough.

An interesting little quirk.

Hopefully it isn't relevent but ......

On my '03 that behavior was a pre-cursor to the tumbler/lock bits failing. The lock switch assembly should not stop at any position except Lock, Off or Run. Keep an eye on it.

Tinker

Strike two today...exactly the same behavior

1) lights come on

2) cranks just fine

3) no ignition though

The key was in the proper position, and in fact I inserted, removed and turned it a couple dozen times before eventually it did start. I road without stopping just to be sure I got home. I'm going out to wash it and wiggle the wire now, but who knows

Hmmmmm...

Well, I just learned a lot and now have a reproducible problem

1) Bike running in neutral

2) I'm holding the bike upright

3) Turn bars to almost full lock right, engine shuts OFF

4) bike will not start with bars almost full right

5) turn bars to the left and bike starts right up

6) turn bars to the right, engine shuts OFF

Happens EVERY time. Actually getting WORSE with more trials, as I don't have to go to full lock right now, just about 3/4 to the right.

I pulled and wiggled wires, lightly, no change in behavior and couldn't make it die except when turned to the right.

I guess the solution is to only take left turns. Maybe the bike wants to vote for Obama.

Thoughts?

A kill switch did that to me once! It's worth a check.
Kill switch looks good, I opened it up and everything appears solid. Also, the exact same problem occurs with the kill switch apart.

One more possibility - tipover switch. Maybe when I turn the bars somehow it gets activated. But I don't have any idea where that is or what it looks like. Any help?

Best bet is the ignition switch.

Progress...

It's the wire loom that leads from the ignition switch to under the tank. If I give it the tiniest pull then engine shuts down. Give it a tiny push and engine starts up.

Got the tank up and pulled the electrical connectors underneath, they are solidly attached.

Does anyone know where that wire loom goes to? I'd like to know before I pull the tank and all the assorted stuff. If I wait for the dealer it's gonna be a week and I don't won't to wait that long.

Thx

Not trying to tell you what to do here but if it was me and my bike is that new, I would have the dealer correct the situation. Even if I had to wait a week. Unless your a top notch electrical trouble-shooter.....and even so you could cause another problem and if so they could say "you" caused the problem. Just saying that is.....PM. <>< :blink:

I appreciate the concern. I'm not really gonna try to debug an electrical problem beyond looking for a loose connector or cut wire.

I'd planned to get under the tank anyway to do the throttle spring unwind.

Maybe I'll just wait a week.