09 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on riding the bike for several hundred miles before making major changes. Its a great bike off the showroom floor IMHO. Before spending a ton on an expensive throttle lock look at the Vista Cruise and a Cramp Buster (Less than $40.00 bucks). They both were cheap and helped alot. Disconnecting the windshield return helps alot on long trips (FREE :yahoo: ). It drove me crazy having to constantly readjust the windscreen every time I turned the bike off. I have a PCA Rack with a Givi E52 on the back. I love the E52 for around the town and it fits two helmets. I do get concerned that I might over load it and break the back half of the rear subframe. There are several posts about this issue on this fourm. I have thought about adding a Grand Touring Bag from Magsbags for camping trips and heavy loads. https://www.magsbags.com/grandtouringbag.html They look like a good solution to keep from overloading the back of the bike. Enjoy the bike and ride it often.

2009 FJR 10,000 miles in Michigan. No problems. Givi e52 with admore light kit (super easy install). Raised triple clamp. Vstream windshield.

This bike is fast, reliable and fits the daily driving guy great.

Happy Riding,

Denny

For the tail bag responders, I really phrased my question poorly. So let me try again...
For a cross country trip, (hopefully you have done a long trip at minimum), would the Yama bag be enough, or should I really look at the Givi E52 monsters out there? Remember, I am doing a portion of this 2up, and yes I'll have a tank bag with my laptop, GPS, cell phone, etc. Will the 2 side bags and tail bag be large enough?

Should i force myself to pack small with the (smaller) stock cases?

Is the benefit of a big sail on the back worth the nuisense due to the carrying capacity? <----finally, the real meat of what I really want to know.
verranth

One thing about your laptop, You may not want it in a tank bag, they tend to leak a bit when it rains. That relegates it to the hard luggage. You need to take your laptop and case to the dealer and try it in the saddle bags and the Yamaha trunk. I have a 15" MacBook Pro and it just won't fit at all in the side bags. The Yamaha trunk is a bit deceptive, it's way smaller on the inside than on the outside. The Yamaha luggage have a double wall construction, somewhat thick in places. I had to go aftermarket to get a trunk large enough for my laptop with case. I ended up with the V46. There are others out there that will also accommodate a laptop case. The best thing you can do is take your laptop and case to the place where they are sold and try them out.

In the end, you have to be happy with the way it looks.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
My laptop won't fit in the side bags and will only fit in the Yamaha top box if its not in the case. I solved that problem by getting one of the notebook size computer for traveling. Like has been said the luggage isn't as big as it looks. Learn to pack lite. I take old clothes and throw them away when dirty and If I run out then hit the store for new undies.

Some pull a trailer and swear its the way to go. I am going to try is cause I got a trailer I can't sell until I get the title and who know how long that will take in Cali.

After all the above advice, about the only thing left to look out for is the cops ! Seriously, the bike cruises so effortlessly its easy to miss speedo creep until you have a set of gumballs going in the mirrors.

Hope you both have a blast, be safe.