09AE | A 250mile run | Observations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
Finally, I was able to make use of a weekend and good weather and went on my Grand Tour of Georgia 2014 - GTGA 2014 - Ramble. Knocked out 2 locations. Oxford, GA and Elberton, GA.

While the GTGA is a ton of fun, I was super excited to take out the 09AE out and let it roam free! What a ride. What a bike! But then most of you know this and don't need me to remind you! :)

Some observations:

1. Suspension: ?

On wide sweeping turns; Left or right; while the bike keeps it line smooth - i can turn using just the right hand, the bike does give a little wibble wobble sensation. I think that might be something to do with suspension. I still need to go through the 'suspension' tweaking on setting. Bike was 1 up with just the TopBox. I left the Side bags off on this run.

2. Engine Heat:

I wear the Aerostich AD1 Pants. Outside temp today was around the 85-95 deg F range. Speeds around 4-5 over speed limit on Interstate. I occassionally felt fair amount of heat on my left leg coming off the engine. Anything I need to be concerned about. I had read that 09's were better at the engine heat flow.

3. Corbin Seat:

Bike came with Corbin seat installed. Perhaps 250 miles (i got the bike with 1620miles) may not be enough yet to 'get used' to the seat. But I did find that the seat didn't really plant my butt into the seat. From a decent speed, when I downshifted and used the engine to slow down, I found myself being slid into the Tank with manhoods' happiness at stake each time. Reverse true when going from stationary through the gears - slid back into the seat. Seat change impending?

4. The Take Off:

This bike should have comms with Air Traffic Control. For sure.

I was riding I20 and I85 this afternoon. Steady speeds at 5mph over Speed Limit and generally in the right lane except to pass and to avoid bad patches. 75mph, vehicle in front to be passed. Look in mirror, signal left, turn head to left to make sure left lane clear, swing out into left lane, twist the right hand to edge past the vehicle..OH MY FLIPPING GOODNESS! Rambler flight 09AE - you are cleared for take off! 75 to 95 in no time! Just awesome. And the bike seems to want more throttle. Needless to say, had to watch the needle. You don't get the sense of the speed the bike is going at.

5. Gadgets:

iphone BT paired with TomTom Rider. Rider BT paired with Scala G9.

Iphone hooked up with a battery pack in the 'glove box'. Need to get a USB adapter to use the socket in the glove box. TomTom Rider mounted on Ram Bar mount on right handle bar, between Reservoir fitting and throttle. This set up worked very nicely. Rider screen clear and visible in bring sunlight. I rode from 11am to 5pm, clear skies, bright sunlight. I need to get the cable to hook up the Rider to the Tender socket that the bike came with on the right fairing. The battery was down to '1 flashing bar'. Each longer stop I made I turned the Rider off. I had the iPhone GPS as backup, but Scala G9 doesnt allow BT pairing with multiple devices. Except for the 'power' issues, this set up certainly worked. Some refinements will be upcoming in mount locations. I will be using Ball mounts in two tapped holes in the Helibar plate and stem mount ball. Work in progress.

6: Helmet:

I have a Shoei Neotec Modular. Big advantage on a warm day. SO many options. Open face. Sunshade down. Sunshade up. Full face, Visor up, Sunshade up, Sunshade down.

At higher speeds though, lid up or down, I had that high pitched 'whistle' which I felt was coming through the helmet somewhere. I tried windscreen up or down. Whistle still there. Didn't feel any 'air turbulence' going through the helmet. Just that continuous whistle. Wonder what could be causing this.

All in all a nice day out on my trusty steed Feej!

Sounds great! On a trip like that, how did you like the ability to go through the gears at the blink of an eye with the AE? :)
At a Red Light. Engage 1st gear. Light turns Green.

Rev, Blink, 2nd. Rev, Blink, 3rd. Rev, Blink, 4th.

Look in mirrors. Eat my dust.

THAT!

Bikers with clutch. My sympathies! :)

Amen, Brother! It's like a Formula One Racer. They use the same paddle shifter. I don't think I'll ever want to pull another clutch lever again. You've got the last and the best one. I've got the first. I love mine more now than I did the day I brought it home new. But, I'm waiting for these Yamaha knuckleheads to come to their senses and bring the Gen III AE over here. I'll be here waiting patiently. :)

On the neotec I find the top vent to be the noisy one not sure if thats the whistle your referring to. If I close it much less noise

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice ride, you've been assimilated!

I'm on FJR #3 and will always have one in the garage.
punk.gif

--G

Love my AE ! Went up MT Evans today for the first time this season. It did good to 13,000' and then not so good ! Road closed because of snow :) Just nothing like having a paddle shifter on the twisty roads if your working the corners hard. . . Ride safe my friends.

A full write up with pics and short vid.

RideLog 20140524 | Grand Tour of Georgia 2014 | Oxford, GA & Elberton, GA | R4Ramblings

Sounds great! On a trip like that, how did you like the ability to go through the gears at the blink of an eye with the AE?
smile.png
At a Red Light. Engage 1st gear. Light turns Green.

Rev, Blink, 2nd. Rev, Blink, 3rd. Rev, Blink, 4th.

Look in mirrors. Eat my dust.

THAT!

Bikers with clutch. My sympathies!
smile.png
Not too much of a problem with the clutch. Light turns green, clutch out, throttle on to redline, 60mph+ oops over the speed limit clutch in shift to second-third-fourth lol