17 mile closed to bikes????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rider

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Hey![/SIZE]

I made a couple of calls, planning a ride, and while asking about fees for the 17 mile road around Pebble Beach on the Monterrey Peninsula I was informed that Motorcycles were not allowed??? :(

Anyone know any more info about this? I took my wife last year in the car for our 15th anniversary and all we talked about was going back on the bike...

Any info, please let me know!!

Our plans were to go up PCH and make our way through to San Fran and then back through inland routes to Yosemite and then over the Tioga pass to Mammoth and back to the High Desert.

Thanks!

Motorcycles have been prohibited for a few years now, I don't believe that has changed.

It's them Hell's Angels done ruined it fer the rest of us!!!!!

(Probably not too far off, and since it's a private road they can set their own rules.)

They don't want loud pipes all day, they don't want record attempts by canyon carvers, yada yada.

Thanks for the Google advice, wasn't really needing info on whether is was or wasn't closed to bikes, got that info from the really nice lady who told me it was!

I was more wondering along the lines of why it was closed. I asked the lady and she didn't know. Asked here to see if any veterans knew. I assumed it was one bad apple who ruined it for the rest of the bunch...

Thanks!

When I lived in the area, I would tell the guard at the gate that I had a reservation for dinner at the lodge to get in for free. :ph34r:

Last year I rented a house in Pebble Beach and it was no problem riding the bike in. Check out the Monterey craigslist for reasonably priced home rentals.

I got stopped a couple of years ago also. Now funny thing a truck with load pipes had no issue. They say it's private road. If they get federal funding for it, they're not supposed to be able to keep you out. However, there is a lot of big money in there. 2 sets of rules I guess. Fortunately, there are a lot of better roads in California to ride anyway, and you don't have to pay a toll to ride them.

You ain't missin' nuthing! The most mind numbing 17 miles in all of California.

And that includes Dr. Rich's back roads entrance to the Old Michael compound.

Seriously, you aren't missing anything.

You ain't missin' nuthing! The most mind numbing 17 miles in all of California.
And that includes Dr. Rich's back roads entrance to the Old Michael compound.

Seriously, you aren't missing anything.
Gunny! I was down in Pacific Grove last week, and drove past the entrance to the 17-m.d. $9.50 at the guard shack, for the privilege of driving past these snooty phucks' homes, and they won't even tolerate m/c's? Screw 'em. I only associate with people who aren't so damn full of themselves anyway.

And Mark, "Dr. Rich's back roads entrance" to . . . what? What the heck are you implying there? :eek: