2 different drive oils?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
So, I'm picking up another Qt of shaft drive oil for the rear end and the parts guy at the local dealer says FJRs take an "exclusive drive oil". Where have I been :unsure: There wasn't two types available when I bought the first QT. So I look into it a little further and they are telling me that only the Gen IIs from 09 and up need the "exclusive" stuff, I can run the regular G-4/G-5 rated run of the mill everyday crap in my filthy old 07. WTF? I searched but only found stuff on matching up aftermarket oils and "Whats the G rateing mean?' the regular oil is $10.99 and the "Good shit" is $21.99. Can somebody break this down for me or am I being misled?

Personally, I think you're being "misled." But I have an ancient '03, so what do I know.

I know of no changes to the final drive, though, for the whole history of the FJR, both gens.

I searched the Internet (yep, all of it) and could only find opinion as to the weight and formulation of the newer spec gear oil that MamaYama sells.

Guess mabe a look at the parts fische is in order to see if the part numbers are the same for '08 and '09 for the final drive.

Personally, I can't imagine what would be in the pumpkin that would require us to put expensive shit in there, but then again I have an '08. My 2 cents worth of the same worthless opinion that I found so much of whilst searching for the non-existent answer.

In my owner's manual they recommend SAE 80 GL-5 for my 2012. I didn’t see 09 and up on the bottle.

IMGP32822iPhone.jpg

All FJRs are supposed to get the exclusive, proprietary, special gear oil. Do a search on the term "Whale Jizz" to turn up many references.

But, regardless of what Yamaha wants to sell you, they will run just fine on pretty much any gear oil. In fact most dealers don't even use that expensive stuff themselves. They just use the regular Yamaube gear lube they have laying around. If you are doing the work, you can use a nice, full synthetic (like Mobil 1 gear oil) if it makes you feel any better.

There are many, many trouble free miles on FJR final drives running all kinds of stuff other than the YWJ.

Just for the F#$% of it, I brought up a parts fische at bikebandit for the '08 and the '09 and compared them side-by-side. They are exactly the same with exception of the "rear axle gear case" (the housing). All of the gears and bearings are the same.

NERPT really? <_< I've never seen this topic before and I'm not alone. Whatever.
Haha...Don't be a baby. We still love you, but it's an oil thread and has been beat to death. Go to AutoZone and get a bottle of the Mobile 1. You get 4 changes for less than $20.

Hell, if you want, I think I still have a partial bottle left.

My '06 has a sticker warning about the need for the magic juice.

My manual simply says: "Yamaha Shaft Drive Gear Oil" and provides a special part number 9079E-SH001-00. The redesigned V-Max also used that stuff.

That changed in 2011, when they changed the specification in the owner's to SAE80 API GL-5. I know that many dealers (not mine, interesting enough) always poured standard hypoid gear oil in the back in spite of the warnings. Perhaps they simply didn't move enough of the product to justify producing the special formulation? But the 'Whale Jizz' is still listed as available on their web site with the original part number.

As it happens, I have a couple of bottles of the stuff that I bought on eBay a while ago - it'll get me to 160,000 miles and beyond - I have it, so I'll keep using it whether the need is marketing hype or not.

I understand what it needs, that wasn't the point of the thread. I had just not heard they had gone to 2 different oils. Anyway, I'm done with the oil change, I'm going riding...............Late! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: