2005 FJR drains batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Last year when I bought my 2014, I sold my well cared for 2005A to my little brother (he's more like the size of Fred, so he's not really little, but that's besides the point).

I had done many electrical farkles over the 12 years of ownership and never really had a problem of any kind, electrical or otherwise. I did have to replace a relay I had added years before that got wet inside and corroded. I don't think I had even replaced a blown fuse.

Most of the electric goodies I added (lights, electric jacket plugs, horns, heated grips(remember when that was a DIY project?), tank bag outlet, etc) were protected by an in-line fuse and I used a relay to protect original wiring where needed for current capacity. I ran this set up for over 100K miles, no issues with respect to battery life. I did replace batteries every 4 years or so.

This spring brother put a new battery in after last one would take a charge. It was 4 years old. About weeks later the battery is stone cold dead. He attempted to charge with the battery tender and nothing. Light indicate that its not taking charge. He hasn't got in to measure residual battery voltage yet.

I may get a chance to help him diagnose the problem this weekend, I'm looking for ideas on how to isolate potential drain sources for the battery.

One difference between the two brother's ownership environment is storage. When I owned it, she was always stored indoors in semi heated space. He stores it outside under a porch with a Nelson-Rigg cover over it. I did check for signs of rodent/bugs earlier this spring when we put the most recent battery in it and didn't see any evidence.

Any ideas on where to look for trouble greatly appreciated.

Battery tender lead fuse blown?

If the battery will not even take a charge it's not a parasitic drain issue.

Last edited by a moderator: