2006 died on freeway on way home from trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have what is probably a really stupid question, but I looked all over for the answer so as not to expose my retardedness any more than I already have and couldn't find one.
The bike WILL run with all the tupperware off, right? I've never tried to start it with the plastic off and the FSM says the fault code will stay on the display until the bike runs and clears the code.

My ECU is supposed to arrive maybe by tomorrow and I want to be ready to find out if we are at the end of this road.

Sorry and thanks.
Tupperware makes no difference to running. There may be indications of "bulbs" not connected, but other than that there is no difference.

But you do need the fuel tank connected!

Last edited by a moderator:
But you do need the fuel tank connected!
Had to laugh at this. Based on my obvious ineptitude, this is a valid point. For the record, I had figured this one out.

Thank you.
I truly hope that the new ECU is the answer to all your woes. I myself, much like you, hate dealing with electrical gremlins. For the most part they usually get the best of me.

Best of luck to you P

SUCCESS!

The ECU appears to have been the culprit. Interestingly, as soon as I plugged it in, the code cleared. Didn't have to start and run it as I had expected.

Fuel tank on
smile.png
and the fuel pump pressurized like it was supposed to and vroom. That wonderful, delightful noise that is a happy FJR ensued. The only thing I'll wonder about is if there is something amiss that caused this that wasn't found that might make it happen again. Don't think so, but we'll find out. Pretty much covered EVERYTHING trying to rule this out and it all looks better than good. Fingers crossed.

One last (hopefully) question. I just started it w/o the PC3 and it seemed to run fine. The bike came to me with the PC3 installed and I have never had any experience without it. Is that something that I should reinstall? I know there are plenty of you all who have experience with and without.

Thanks again to everyone for the patience and the wonderful help and advice. You all ROCK!

Paul

It may seem to be a little more slugish in the low end but other than that your good. Glad you figured it out. Mine is still sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I went ahead and plugged it back in and found out exactly what you described. I'm going to go ahead and leave it on. Seems like the fact that so many people use them should have been answer enough without my asking it. Just laziness on my part. That, and being exhausted over this whole thing. Glad I have other bikes to get my moto-therapy with when one of them is down.

Sorry that yours is collecting dust. Just not right. Maybe replace the ECU.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again,

Paul

Most PCs were to address low-load constant speeds @ around 35-45 mph. Like in traffic behind others; not decel or accel. In those cases, the EFI can be right on the edge of 2 different map settings and jump back and forth creating a surge.

The code "lives" in the ECU so when the ECU is changed, the only codes that could show would have to already be in the donor ECU.

Hope that was the problem. As I said, I think this is the first time I have seen an ECU fail on an FJR.

Thanks Mark and Ross.

Ross, if you knew how infamous I am for asking questions no one has ever asked or for being plagued by things that have never been seen, you would not be surprised at all.

Checked everything again and all seems to be well. I feel optimistic.

Putting everything back together and heading to Jacksonville next week. If I see any of you there, I will be proud to sponsor the adult beverage of your choice. (or several)

Glad it worked out. I was concerned a little when you said you'd bought a used one on-line. There's a non-zero chance of getting a dead one that way.

Wanted to post an update and take another opportunity to thank all who offered suggestions and help.

Got home from the IBA Pizza Party in Jacksonville, FL yesterday. A little over 3700 miles in 3 and a half days of riding and no problems. Bike was flawless, just like it's supposed to be.

Cannot express my gratitude for all your support.

Paul

I hope so. Everything seems great now, but something happens to you when you have to haul your bike home in a uhaul. There's going to be that little niggling doubt that will just be there until it isn't.

I'm really glad it happened when it did because if it hadn't, it could have happened in June, and that would be awful.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

I hope so. Everything seems great now, but something happens to you when you have to haul your bike home in a uhaul. There's going to be that little niggling doubt that will just be there until it isn't.
I'm really glad it happened when it did because if it hadn't, it could have happened in June, and that would be awful.

Exactly. That's why I got rid of my '06 and now have the '16.

Exactly. That's why I got rid of my '06 and now have the '16.
What did your '06 do that made you lose confidence in it?
Had an electrical issue that left me dead on the ride home from work, in southeast DC, twice. Eventually got it sorted out, but always was wondering what was next. Also had the intake air sensor code 14, which turned out to be the dreaded ball of caramel colored grease in the vacuum line.

Nothing like nursing a full-on tourer home with a shot front wheel bearing. Sketchy to say the least. Glad it's worked out and your faith in it will come back as you get more miles on it (even if they start out as local miles). Consider this a learning experience and now you know, no matter what, you WILL get back home.

Also had the intake air sensor code 14, which turned out to be the dreaded ball of caramel colored grease in the vacuum line.
"Dreaded"? Is this a common thing that I've never heard of before?