2006 FJR Noob/Water pump drip-leak question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uenjoymyself

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice here. Thank you in advance for any help.

As mentioned in my introduction post I have been performing some basic maintenance to the FJR to make sure that everything is as it should be.

I recently did a coolant change (no blow job) and after a 200+ mile ride today I noticed a single drip on the ground under the bike right side under water pump. Rode in stop and go traffic where the bike reached temp and fans came on, 6 to 7 bars. Also long winding mountain roads at lower temps and cooler readings, 4 to 5 bars.

Upon further inspection I noticed a small build up of green crust on the inside lip of the lower faring under the water pump. Closer inspection revealed a small bead of green crust, slightly larger than a pinhead, coming from between the front housing seam just above the larger rubber pipe and between the mounting bolts. After cleaning the crust and running the bike to temperature, 7 bars fans on, it was apparent that small beads of coolant are escaping from that spot at an inconsistent rate and only at the higher temperatures. No coolant is dripping from the water pump weep hole and coolant level in the reservoir remains steady.

Questions: Do I only need to replace the outer housing O ring or is it recommended that both the O ring and shaft seal be done at the same time?

Do I need to drain oil if I choose to change only the housing plate O ring?

Is this just a nuisance at this point or Is there any danger of the seal giving way and and spewing fluid all over the ground and bike?

I have a ride planned for tuesday with my Daughter and hope to avoid both catastrophe and/or a repair before then.
Coolant type: Peak extended life ethylene glycol, japanese spec silicate and phosphate free, for all makes and models.

Sorry for the essay. Thanks for any input!!

Thanks, Uenjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
There does not seem to be a weep hole for the waterpump like many other bikes have, which surprises me. I've never had or heard of any problems with the waterpump on any of the FJRs I am familiar with locally. Maybe someone that has had to go work on theirs will chime in?

There is a vent hose that runs from the area a weep hole would be to the radiator called a "breather hose". So there should be no leakage on the ground if the mechanical seal starts to leak. Your dripping may be a weeping hose or the profile o-ring. If you can identify where the leak is coming from a bit closer that would probably help figure out which issue you have.

Edit - First hand experience to the rescue.

Fred, there is a weep hole.

I posted this back in 2012: I actually had the pump start leaking out the weep hole in May 2011 when we stopped for lunch in Little Switzerland in NC. Wasn't too bad and made it back to the campground okay. Next morning it was pissing like a racehorse. We pulled the pump and did a picnic table dis-assembly. There was some corrosion on the seal and in the housing. Carefully cleaned it up, used some Honda sealant (gasp) and reassembled. Online parts diagrams are invaluable. I've been running it for over a year now without any other issues (knock on wood). Have a box of pump parts for overhaul ready to go if it every is an issue again.

It is still holding together from that original rebuild, with about 75K miles on it (knock on wood).

Excellent. Thanks for posting that, Chris.

That makes more sense that there is a weep hole. I just couldn't find it mentioned anywhere in the FSM and isn't apparent looking at the pump.

Hi Fred, Thanks for your response. As Flyer pointed out there is a weep hole on my 2006. Maybe it's different for the gen III I'm not sure. Anyway, the ride today went off without a hitch. No leak, not a drop. I did order the o'ring from Yamaha and await their call. I'll be replacing it just to be safe!

Uenjoy

Fred, there is a weep hole.
I posted this back in 2012: I actually had the pump start leaking out the weep hole in May 2011 when we stopped for lunch in Little Switzerland in NC. Wasn't too bad and made it back to the campground okay. Next morning it was pissing like a racehorse. We pulled the pump and did a picnic table dis-assembly. There was some corrosion on the seal and in the housing. Carefully cleaned it up, used some Honda sealant (gasp) and reassembled. Online parts diagrams are invaluable. I've been running it for over a year now without any other issues (knock on wood). Have a box of pump parts for overhaul ready to go if it every is an issue again.I actually had the pump start leaking out the weep hole in May 2011 when we stopped for lunch in Little Switzerland in NC. Wasn't too bad and made it back to the campground okay. Next morning it was pissing like a racehorse. We pulled the pump and did a picnic table dis-assembly. There was some corrosion on the seal and in the housing. Carefully cleaned it up, used some Honda sealant (gasp) and reassembled. Online parts diagrams are invaluable. I've been running it for over a year now without any other issues (knock on wood). Have a box of pump parts for overhaul ready to go if it every is an issue again.

It is still holding together from that original rebuild, with about 75K miles on it (knock on wood).

Thank you for the clarification Flyer. I hope you get another 75!

Uenjoy

Thanks for the followup, Chris. I'd guess the weep hole is on the back side of the impeller housing somewhere, based on where the mechanical seal is installed.

I had a few drops on the floor a couple of years ago. Kept an eye on it and it went away. Call it luck I guess.

Dave