• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2008 FJR for sale--High mileage--Cheap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
This motorcycle was purchased new from Yamaha of Millington in Millington, TN, by me in March, 2009. I have been the sole owner and rider. This is my second Yamaha, the first being a Vstar 1100. Why am I selling? Because my third Yamaha, a third-generation 2013 FJR, is now in my garage taking its place!

The ’08 has been a fantastic ride for me. I have ridden this bike in at least a dozen IBA certified rides, including the 100CCC, RAT (Ride around Texas), Lap of Florida, SS5K, BBG, and Heaven to Hell. I have also used her in many rallies, including Cape Fear, Land Of Enchantment, Not Superman, White Stag, and the 2011 Iron Butt Rally. She has never let me down mechanically on all of the miles we’ve covered.

I have moved most of my ‘used’ farkles from the 2008 to the 2013, but she still has

..Rostra electronic cruise control–this system has worked flawlessly for 80,000 miles. It does not connect to the vacuum system–it is electronic. You’ll love this feature.
..Datel volt meter
..Breakaway Throttle lock–I installed this prior to installing the cruise control system
..Ready-to-go- plumbing for an auxiliary fuel tank. The aux tank is not included.
..Ready-to-go- switches and electrical connection for auxiliary lighting, connected to be used all the time or with bright lights only. The aux lites are not included
..Brand new 2013 Rider’s saddle (transferred from my new bike since I had modified the ’08 seat to my liking)
..Cal Sci Large windscreen. this is much better than the stock screen
--OES frame sliders
..The Yamaha Extended Service Warranty is in full force until March, 2014

Like all FJRs, she comes with dual hard-case, locking, saddlebags with Yamaha-logoed removable liners.

This motorcycle has been a rider, not a showpiece. Although she has never gone down when moving, she has hit the pavement four times, three of those times in my garage. The out-of-garage time was at a gas station, when, after refueling, my right foot slid on some gravel as I was putting up the side stand, and the bike and I fell over to the right. The right mirror was broken (and has been replaced), and my collar-bone was broken (and has healed nicely, thank you for asking). All of the resultant damage has been confined to paint scratches on the saddlebags, and I have chosen not to repair the cosmetics…since it will likely happen again.

I have done the majority of maintenance on the cycle myself, taking it to the dealer for a recall affecting the ignition switch and to a PRO Yamaha dealer for valve-adjustments, and other ‘serious’ maintenance items. After the break-in period, I have used Shell Rotella T6 fully synthetic oil, with an oil change interval of 4,000 miles. The bike uses no oil.

New Michelin Pilot Road 3 front and rear tires were installed about 6,500 miles ago and probably have 5,000 – 6,000 miles of life remaining. As ridden by me at interstate speeds, this bike averages 44 mpg, using the recommended 87-octane gas. Its 6.6 gallon tank thus yields a range of about 275 miles.

Although the Kelly Bluebook value for this bike is $8,500, I am offering it “As Is” for $4,750, due to its cosmetic scratches and its relatively high mileage: about 101,000. (On the FJR Owners internet Forum, a few FJRs owners have passed the 200,000 mile mark and many are well past the 100,000 mark.). I am sure this bike would have continued to provide perfect service for me (especially with the Yamaha Extended Service Warranty in effect) for many additional years, but I saw the 2013's, and I just had to have one.

2013-04-09+15.48.54.jpg

2013-04-09+15.49.09.jpg

2013-04-09+15.49.22.jpg

2013-04-09+15.49.37.jpg

2013-04-09+15.49.51.jpg

2013-04-09+15.50.19.jpg

2013-04-09+15.50.38.jpg

2013-04-09+15.51.19.jpg

To ask questions and to arrange to see the bike, please call me, Howard Entman, at 901-230-0922, or email me at [email protected].

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos always help sell a bike..........

Good luck Howard, sounds like a great FJR.

The structure of this ad seems...familiar somehow...
winksmiley02.gif

Either way, good luck with the sale! Good price.

Good luck on the sale Howard..... I would definitely make the trip down if I was looking for a 2nd bike. Congrats as well on the 2013.

I've had several inquiries by PM about the cruise control system on this bike. It is NOT the typical Audiovox vacuum controlled system. There are no connectioins to the vacuum system. Rather it is a fully electronic system that gets its speed signal from the ABS sensor. The cruise control is manufactured by Rostra and has worked flawlessly for the past 80,000 miles.

I wish you had this for sale about a year ago when I bught my 08. It sounds great!

I have also been considering the Rostra cc. I am curious, How much does it drift from set speed with the electronic actuator?

I've had several inquiries by PM about the cruise control system on this bike. It is NOT the typical Audiovox vacuum controlled system. There are no connectioins to the vacuum system. Rather it is a fully electronic system that gets its speed signal from the ABS sensor. The cruise control is manufactured by Rostra and has worked flawlessly for the past 80,000 miles.
How hard is it to set up the Rostra?

The Rostra 'computer' has a set of adjustable settings, one of which is 'sensitivity'. This adjustment controls the speed at which throttle changes will respond to any speed changes, like from starting up an incline. If the adjustment is too 'sensitive' then you might get jerking and erratic throttle movements. If the adjustment is not sensitive enough, then you get speed drifting.

I have mine adjusted so that the throttle action is smooth, and the speed drift is about 2 mph when starting up, or going down an incline on the highway.

The installation of the Rostra is not complicated, but it is also not intuitive. It took us about 8 hours for the install and another two hours of riding and testing to make the 'computer' adjustments. After this process, I haven't touched the 'computer' in 80,000 miles.

If you decide to install one of these, get in touch with me. I'd be glad to steer you in the right direction.

I have been asked if the Yamaha extended warranty stays with the bike. YES! The warranty goes till March, 2014, and is the factory Y.E.S warranty.

Two months ago:

“I want to buy a new FJR”, I said to my wife.

“Okay, buy you’ll have to sell one of the other two bikes in the garage. There’s not enough room for three bikes”, she said. My wife is great!

“No problem dear. Even though the dealer won’t take my 2008 FJR in on trade, I’ll sell it outright to some other long distance rider who knows that an FJR with 100,000 miles is just middle aged”.

Last night:

“Hey—I thought you said that you’d sell the 2008 FJR when you bought your new one. It’s been almost two months now and there is still three bikes in the garage”, my wife said over a glass of wine.

“Well, I have it advertised but nobody’s made an offer. The weather has been crummy until this week, so it’ll probably sell real soon”, I replied confidently. I smiled at her lovingly. She didn’t smile back.

She looked at me with a stare as cold as ice. “You just said ‘probably’. There was no ‘probably’ about selling the old bike when we agreed you would buy the new one. You said that you WOULD sell the old bike. So do what you have to do to get it sold!”, she said as she stabbed a few breen beans from her dinner plate. I looked at the juicy steak in front of me and thought that I would be ‘dead meat’ pretty soon if that bike isn’t gone, so---

I’m lowering my price to $4,000! This is for a bike that runs fine, has many added farkles, AND almost one year remaining of manufacturer’s warranty. (I won’t post this price anywhere else for one week.)

Please fellow riders, help me make good on my pledge to my darling wife. Somebody buy my bike!

That's a mighty fine bike, and you are all but giving it away. If it were me, I would take this opportunity to reexamine the quality of my marital relationship.
fool.gif