2008 FJR1300A 3000 Miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjammer

Reaction score
OK, need some advice. I found a 2008 FJR1300A for sale at a Dealership and they are asking right at $10K. Bike has 3000 miles. All I was told was that it was purchased by an older gentlemen who felt the bike was too much/big and traded it in. Keep in mind this is not a Yamaha Dealership, so I'm sure they just rolled out when it was traded. When you first see the bike you would swear it's brand new. I don't think it's been driven in rain because the front radiator grill and headers had that "like New" look.

A rock or other debris chipped about a nickel size piece from the lower cowl (right about where it joins). Also, it appears the original owner touched up a spot on the rear cowl (piece around the back seat). My big concern and maybe it shouldn't be is that the oil sight glass was black. I tried to remove the oil filler cap to judge the oil but it would not budge. I mean I had a death grip on that SOB and it wouldn't go!....and yes turning left. I even tried turning to the right just to see!!

Also, (maybe this is a FJR thing??) the clutch shift linkage and where the drive shaft mates with the motor had what I called oil "weepage". Not dripping, but just oily.

What do you guys think?? I can't imagine or I would hope that isn't the original oil???

Other than the price being a little high, the bike is definitely worth a look. The oil color in the sight glass wouldn't worry me that much as long as the initial 600 mile change was done. Keep in mind that oil will discolor within a 1000 miles or so and there isn't any light behind the sight glass. The oil will look darker than it really is.

With the bike being at a non Yamaha dealer, your negotiating power is good. Look up trade in values from either KBB or NADA on the bike because you can bet the dealer didn't pay a cent more (probably much less) than that. Based on the market, a good deal would be no more than $9K.

Good luck.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I see dirt adhering on the front end of the drive shaft tunnel, but it is not wet at all. Ditto on the plug cover for the rear end gear plug. But no weeping anywhere.

$10K is a fair price for a bike with such low mileage.

However, my guess is that the dealer has less than $8,000 invested. Heck, he didn't even change the bloody oil.

If you want to get it for less, do this: Offer $9,000 and stand firm. If they waffle, then use your most powerful negotiating tools... your walkin' shoes. Just spread your hands in a peaceful gesture and say, "Look. The bike's worth 9. I've got 9. Do you want it?" If the sales guy says no, you shake his hand, smile, look him right in the eye and say, "Thank you very much. I'm taking my 9-thou down the street to see what THEY have for sale." Then you turn and walk cooly toward the door. DO NOT tarry along the way looking at other bikes, and most of all, DO NOT plead. DO NOT say, "Here's my number, please call me." None of that crap. The guy has to see you and your cool $9K walking right out the door. Unless he's an idiot, he will call you back in before you get away. Remember now. YOU are the MAN. Stick to your guns. You will get what you want.

Good luck.

In this market, no more than $8.5K. I bought my '07 with 3K miles about a year and half ago for $8.4K from a non-Honda dealer. Also have them change the oil and final drive oil as part of the deal.

Really is it worth it to you? That's the bottom line, what you're willing to pay.

It has real low miles, but no real farkles.... It's at a stealer too, so go low. ;)

Oil should have been changed once I belelive after break in. Mine turns dark rather quickly, it's still good. People like dark coffee and dark beer, so dark oil is good too. ;)

Good luck.

I paid 9500 for a 1 year old bike like new, 1400 miles - you should be able to get this bike for $8500 - its 3 years old and the dealership can't offer you anything that a private owner can't as they aren't a Yamaha dealership.

10k is a little high for an '08. I'd go with the 8.5 offer and mean it.

as for the oil, hell, even if it had NEVER been changed it still only has 3k miles on it so that is not something to worry about.

Make the dealer remove the oil filler cap BEFORE you sign any papers so if there is a problem its theirs, not yours (yet).

I agree with the comments above, but it all worked out for the best anyway. Passed on the '08 and got a new 2010. :yahoo: I'm sure I can't be the only one on this site with OCD, but the oil thing and nick on the front end would have eat at me like cancer. I'll be like the abominalble snowman on Bugs Bunny with the new one..."I will hug him, and love him, and pet him, and take care of him"

I agree with the comments above, but it all worked out for the best anyway. Passed on the '08 and got a new 2010. :yahoo: I'm sure I can't be the only one on this site with OCD, but the oil thing and nick on the front end would have eat at me like cancer. I'll be like the abominalble snowman on Bugs Bunny with the new one..."I will hug him, and love him, and pet him, and take care of him"
Grats!

Good for you Jammies! :yahoo:

Congrats on the NEW bike! Sounds like you made the right decision.