2013 Gen 3 Start/Stop/Mode switch - replace or swap out Mode button?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdclaiborne

2013 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The mode switch button is broken off my 2013 FJR. I have a new switch. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the entire switch or simply open the switch and replace the Mode switch mechanism. I have the FSM and see the circuit diagram. I have the front left lower fairing panel off (other reasons), but I can't easily determine the start/stop/mode switch routing and endpoint connector(s) location. If anyone has replaced the switch, can you help me with the electrical routing? Do I need to remove the front nose panel? Or would it make sense to open the switch and just replace the Mode switch mechanism? Thanks for the usual help gang.

Since you have the switch assembly, I'd replace the whole thing. Not exactly sure when the pigtail terminates, but on GEN IIIs much of the handlebar wiring connections are in the nose under the windshield. Getting to the under-windshield connections isn't too bad a job.

Good luck!

~G

Edit to add...remove the under instrument panel, windshield and black center piece and the connections are exposed.

Since you have the switch assembly, I'd replace the whole thing. Not exactly sure when the pigtail terminates, but on GEN IIIs much of the handlebar wiring connections are in the nose under the windshield. Getting to the under-windshield connections isn't too bad a job.

Good luck!

~G

Edit to add...remove the under instrument panel, windshield and black center piece and the connections are exposed.
Thanks escape, I'll give it a shot. I have the inside dash panel and left lower outer fairing off already. I try to chase down the spaghetti mess from the switch to it's endpoint.

Excellent! As you fish in the new pigtail, there's one or two loom guides that can be opened to make room for the end connections. It's tight in 'thar.

~G

Excellent! As you fish in the new pigtail, there's one or two loom guides that can be opened to make room for the end connections. It's tight in 'thar.

~G
Yessir, actually 3 guides. Two black similar to zip tie that can be opened and re-closed and a white one under the nose that opens and re-closes. I rerouted a couple weird harnesses from throttle side and massaged everything so I have better slack after my MV Motorad rise install. Got my R-Gaza engine guards installed as well! Need to adjust and re-torque tomorrow.