2014 BMW R1200RT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the photo comparison that your Papa Chuy Viejo likes the best! Hubba, hubba and hubba! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

600600p3167EDNmain381aaaon-stage-with-the-new-R-.jpg

Having test ridden the BMW, Triumph, and Yamaha this summer, of the three the BMW feels the biggest--in terms of volume.

On the road, it feels about the same weight as the Triumph, and the FJR feels lighter.

All three are nice bikes, but I want something that feels sportier, and the FJR delivers.

Park one next to an FJR and it does look "big". The fairing is HUGE compared to the FJR. The BMW also looks and feels very tall. Comparing the fairing and wind protection from one to the other shows a tremendous difference in design philosophy. The BMW actually has more coverage than my Honda ST1300.
I am not saying it is good or bad. Some riders want to feel more wind, some want less. I can say I found the '08 model R1200RT I rode very warm and unpleasant in the heat of a South Louisiana summer. That is just one opinion and I still think they are great motorcycles.

Perhaps a comparison photo might help:

This is exactly what I was talking about. The newer BMWs are starting to look a lot like a Victory Vision from the front. And no, I do not consider that a particularly good thing...

Victory Vision

victory-vision-2_600x0w.jpg

Which is reminiscent of...

bozo-the-clown2.jpg

Sorry to startle any of you Coulrophobia sufferers...

bleh.gif

I think molding in the mirrors is half of what you perceive as huge. It just fills in a lot of area in the front doing this.

Perception is everything though. The ST1300 has its mirrors molded in partially as well. At least they are located in a usable position. If you notice the RT in my pic has a set of handlebar mounted mirrors added. We could never get the fairing mounted mirrors adjusted to be useable. Then we found that the bar mounted mirrors were very common with RT owners.

I see that Fred W and I are on the same page with this one. Nice post Fred.

Park one next to an FJR and it does look "big". The fairing is HUGE compared to the FJR. The BMW also looks and feels very tall. Comparing the fairing and wind protection from one to the other shows a tremendous difference in design philosophy. The BMW actually has more coverage than my Honda ST1300.
I am not saying it is good or bad. Some riders want to feel more wind, some want less. I can say I found the '08 model R1200RT I rode very warm and unpleasant in the heat of a South Louisiana summer. That is just one opinion and I still think they are great motorcycles.

Perhaps a comparison photo might help:

Thanks RFH.

BUFF

Big Ugly Fat Fooker!

I think molding in the mirrors is half of what you perceive as huge. It just fills in a lot of area in the front doing this.
The entire front faring is massive and bulbous. Same is/was true of the K16. Actually these have been BMW design queues since around 2006. Prior to that the K1200 series bikes looked nice

2003 - 2005 K1200GT (nice curvy lines)

209.jpg

2006 - on K1200GT (slab sided massive farings)

111112628@BMW-K1200GT.jpg

BUFFBig Ugly Fat Fooker!
Big? Yes because of the mirrors being incorporated into the faring. Ugly? A matter of opinion. Fat? Better look into the mirror and say it about the FJR:

Gen II FJR - Curb Weight: 644 pounds

RT - Curb weight (with panniers) 628 pounds

The faring is both a blessing and a curse. Better protection in cold and wet conditions. Gets warm in 90+ degree temps. My Gen. 1 would also cook me in 90+ degree temps.

In addition to being lighter, the RT has a lower center of gravity.

Here is what some of the BMW crowd think it looks like:

rsz_alien_from_the_movie_5294.jpg

szz7lc.jpg

lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
BUFF

Big Ugly Fat Fooker!
Big? Yes because of the mirrors being incorporated into the faring. Ugly? A matter of opinion. Fat? Better look into the mirror and say it about the FJR:

Gen II FJR - Curb Weight: 644 pounds

RT - Curb weight (with panniers) 628 pounds

The faring is both a blessing and a curse. Better protection in cold and wet conditions. Gets warm in 90+ degree temps. My Gen. 1 would also cook me in 90+ degree temps.

In addition to being lighter, the RT has a lower center of gravity.
Before my friend bought his '08 RT we studied the spec sheets of everything out there and he liked the RT best. He bought it and loved it. Until...

We switched bikes one day. I will not lie, I was dying to ride that BMW.

My impressions: Lots of effort to turn. Useless mirrors. Weak feeling motor, has to be in right gear to accelerate. Too much fairing. Feels heavy. Unlimited cornering clearance. Fun in a quirky way. I liked it.

His impression of my ST1300: That MOTOR! You only need 1 gear. Feels light. If more people test rode that bike they would buy it.

I said, "You better not ride an FJR. You will be selling that Beemer."

We all like what we like. It does not have to be the fastest, the lightest or the prettiest. We just have to like it enough to pay for it.

Leak oil? I didn't know HD was making them?

And forget those 2 bangers... I'm staying 6 cylinder balanced-smooooth baby!