2014 horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get horns off a Gold Wing, mine sound like an old Buick do the job quite nicely.
You guys with the Gold Wings, what year are your bikes and what sort of dimensions do they have? I remember an 83 Sabre 750 that had a great set of stock horns.

Here is a review of horns by webbike world, the Hellas won: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

I currently have a set of the PIAA 400/500hz horns on my 07 and recently compared them with stock FJR 07 horns and the db reading was the same, 83db at six feet, so no real improvement. May have to try the Hellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the "Sports Horn." Don't think it's the "Slimline." Maybe that's the difference.
Might be. I'm going to try a set of the sport versions, and there is a choice between the 400/500hz (American car sound) or the 500/600hz (Euro car sound). I'm wondering which frequency might penetrate into a car better or get people's attention, I'm leaning to the lower hz version, make 'em think there's a Caddy there. :)

This has been covered many times before. If you are going to buy one PIAA the 500hz horn and replace the right side horn (sitting on the bike), which is the high tone horn. The 500 Hz is still lower than the OEM low tone, and you will get a nice car-like (and loud) horn tone.

pcarnut - You did something very wrong if your PIAAs measured same as OEM. I put only one PIAA slimline 500Hz horn in and it measured considerably louder.

You didn't use two of the same tone horns did you?

pcarnut - You did something very wrong if your PIAAs measured same as OEM. I put only one PIAA slimline 500Hz horn in and it measured considerably louder.
No, they came as a kit,, one 400hz and one 500hz.

i just installed the PIAA sports horn..definite improvement over the original horn. Sound much more car like (bigger). Ez install, fair price, no brainer for me.

i just installed the PIAA sports horn..definite improvement over the original horn. Sound much more car like (bigger). Ez install, fair price, no brainer for me.
Jay, with sports horn, did you have to do any trimming? Or was it a direct fit/replacement with the single OEM horn on the left side (when sitting on the bike)?

Jay, with sports horn, did you have to do any trimming? Or was it a direct fit/replacement with the single OEM horn on the left side (when sitting on the bike)?
direct replacement of the original horn. I think it was a 4mm bolt holding the horn on. Removed it, unplugged horn (grey wire is hot wire), put new horn up against bracket, put original bolt back on, tightened, connected wires, and all was good.

link to the horn i put on >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003884RDW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51aVmEtARUL.jpg

direct replacement of the original horn. I think it was a 4mm bolt holding the horn on. Removed it, unplugged horn (grey wire is hot wire), put new horn up against bracket, put original bolt back on, tightened, connected wires, and all was good.

link to the horn i put on >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003884RDW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51aVmEtARUL.jpg
Just ordered and shipped to D&H to be added to my new 2014 (when it arrives).

So are the PIAA slimlines using the factory wiring or was a relay used? Are these plug and play for Gen II's as well?

MojoGuzzi, When checking the details on this horn on Amizon.com, it claims dimensions 6.5"X5"X2".. If that is the horn you installed it must block a fair amout of the radiator. Can you post a picture of this on the bike?

Well, I think I found the problem. I was using a sound meter app on my Galaxy S4, did a little research and found out the microphone on the phone won't input past 83 db, so useless for this test and explains why they measured the same. Will have to try and find a real meter. In the meantime, the PIAA Sport horns arrived yesterday from Amazon and they are definitely louder than stock, and probably than the Slim line version. Easy install and don't block the radiator.

Well that makes sense. Both the PIAA Slim Line and the PIAA Sports Horn models are rated at 112 dB individually and 115 dB in pairs, which makes some sense since the sound doubles with every 3 dB. I would guess that the sound drivers inside these two models are identical and it is just the outer package that varies.

I seem to recall the outside of the stock horns being marked 103 dB, which would mean that these aftermarket horns are 10 dB (10 times) louder than the stock ones. Of course specs do not tell the entire story, but I did do some testing of the horns with a real SPL meter a few years back and posted it on here. But I cannot even find my own old posts now so don't imagine anyone else will be able to.

As I recall, the measurements did show a marked increase in sound. Not as much as you'd think based on the specs (10 dB) but it was greater. And the difference in tone is remarkable as well.

Not sure...I'd have to look for the box. You can get double horns and a single horn. Somehow I ended up with the single. So I put it on the right and left OEM on the left...
Oh, found it. Its the 76501 500HZ horn: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003884RDW

There are better prices. Just Google "PIAA Slimline Sports Horn."
I just replaced the single left side horn on my 2013 with this horn. Easy peasy installation and MUCH louder. Hooks to existing wires and uses same single mounting bolt. I like it!