2014 sighted, 7/23/15 on Colorado Hwy 50 and brief ride report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJudge

Reaction score
This past Tuesday, I was on my '13 leading a mixed group of bikes (a wing, a Victory and three HDs) westbound on Hwy 50 heading toward Mammoth Pass. Eastbound traffic was stopped for a construction zone (of which there were many scattered across SW Colorado). The lead vehicle in the stopped lane was a red 2014. We waved at each other and I gave a few honks on the PIAA sport horns. Anyone from the forum?

The ride up the pass was great, especially where there was a passing lane. Nice sweepers and smooth pavement. Only the Victory (skillfully ridden by a full-time motorcycle officer) managed to stay in sight. Unfortunately, we got jammed up in traffic right after the top which made the trip down just so-so. 2-3 more construction zones awaited before we got to our turn south on CO 114.

The best rides happened earlier in the week. Million Dollar Highway was spectacular, especially Red Rock Canyon between Silverton and Ouray. Got wet heading north from Ouray. We spent Monday night in Delta and jumped on Hwy 92 right after breakfast Tuesday. IMO, Hwy 92 along the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is truly epic and has earned the spot at the top of my list of all-time must-do rides based on a combination of the road itself plus the scenery of the canyon. If you're anywhere nearby, don't miss this one. Another nice stretch on our trip back to our home base in Southfork was Hwy 149 as it climbs to the pass just south of Lake City. We got to wait some more just past the top as they were cutting down a bunch of dead trees near the roadway. The trip down was fun, but the road surface in places was pretty choppy which made everyone a bit more cautious than we would've liked.

Last edited by a moderator: