26K Service Sticker Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankie

Reaction score
Just got an estimate for Valve check and 26K Service from dealer here in the SF Bay area.. 6 hrs labor = $510.00, 3 more hours if valves need adjustment = $255.00, add other listed items to total $1,025.80 out the door if valves need adjustment..

Bike is an 09 with 28K on it.. I can do oil and filter, final drive, brake bleed and it has a K&N filter so can get $82.00 worth

of parts out of the total and whatever labor that would be charged..

Don't have the tools or the space to try it myself... gotta go shopping for an independent...anyone know of one in the

SF bay area or around the Sacrament area?

Venting off....I see from past post that prices have ranged from $350 to $ 650 depending on the area and type of

shops involved..

If you want it done at a dealer the only place I've every paid to have someone work on my bike is

Gilroy Powersports. Talk to Phil (service manager). He's got a top notch mechanic (Clark) that

does great work. They did one valve service for me (I was recovering from surgery and couldn't

do it myself) and they rebuilt a '05 R1 for me (spun main bearing, Phil even got Yamaha to foot

most of the bill for a bike 6 months out of warranty).

As far as independents, I take most of my suspension work to Rob at Evolution Motorcycles in Santa

Clara. He does all bike repairs/maintenance and has very fair prices. They're just getting back from

a long Holiday break so they should be open tomorrow.

If you are further up the Peninsula give Jim at Catalyst a go. He's done a couple of suspension

jobs for and has always been very fair and helpful.

Good luck ...

Gary

Unless you have to satisfy some warranty requirement...... you could think about stretching out that first valve check another year........ most haven't had to do anything on the first one.

Maybe wait for a tech day. Your bike shouldn't need any valves adjusted at the first interval. However, that decision is yours.

Those prices are crazy!!

Sounds high, but not completely out of line. I'd figure 4 hours for the valve inspection just by itself. Have these dudes ever done an FJR valve inspection and [if needed] adjust?... I'd ask before they tear into the bike.

If you can swing the trip, check out Roseville Yamaha. They get good reviews from the Sac area folks.

--G

For those prices you could have a Great weekend in San Louis Obispo & ride around the Central Coast!
Make appointment with Central Coast Mechanics for a est. ($350-450)
Had 3 checks ; no vales adj; going on 96,000mi!!

At the 28K mark I took mine to an independent.

They quoted me $300. to check valves then more if they needed to be shimmed.

All valves checked out so $300. it was.

They were very fair, my wallet was a bit deflated but to me it was worth knowing the FJR was in good health.

Prices are affected by location. Bike service prices will be affected in "high cost of living areas" just like housing, food, fuel, and taxes. It comes with the choice of staying put or moving. Be at peace with your choice of location or make another choice; understanding that lower costs-of-living typically come with lower average incomes. Live in harmony and without stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
9 hours to adjust the valves!!??

I wouldn't think a reputable dealer would take THAT long!

and over a THOUSAND dollars for a valve adjustment is insane, it's not a damn DUCATI.

I'd try to find a Yamaha ONLY dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going price in central Florida a Yami dealer is about $550 if valves need adjusting.

Bill