4x8 utility trailer haul a FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttreewalkerr

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a 4x8 from Lowe's to haul my FJR to northern michigan to ride with wife on back. Will a fjr fit on a 4x8 with fold up rear mesh ramp?

I don't see why you couldn't use a 4x8 to haul your FJR. Make sure you have a wheel chock and proper tie-downs.

Been able to load Dual Sport bikes with the 33" long mesh ramp on my 4X8 trailer without issues, trailer deck is 12" high where ramp rests. The engine will contact the trailer using the 33" long mesh ramp with some bikes, probably would with my FJ09.

Removed the mesh ramp and started using a 6' long aluminum ladder type motorcycle ramp purchased at Harbor Freight and have not had any problems with any bikes loaded so far, use it with my FJ09, too.

Also mounted a removable front wheel chock. When buying a chock, make sure it's low enough to clear the front wheel rotors.

Used this trailer with side boards today to transport a 1/2 yard of gravel. It gets plenty of use, not just for motorcycles.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a similar trailer to pick up my bike in PA. The back gate acted like a sail. I could feel the drag on the car. I stopped on the highway and folded it down flat. I could feel a big difference. I would go with the largest tire possible too. When returning back home the ramp had to be in the up position. My gas mileage went into the toilet.

I should have used my F350 it wouldn't have cared. Gas mileage would have been the same most likely.

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the above are good advice.. Use good ratchet straps and recheck often.

I don't think wife will like to ride on the back of the trailer though.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I have a 6' x 8' trailer from Tractor Supply; the FJR will sit on it and the ramp will not touch the back of the bike. I've hauled the FJR and my DRZ on the trailer together.

I'm in SE Michigan - pm me if you want to take a look at it in person.

Wayne

I've hauled an FJR on a 4 x 8 HF trailer, bike fits fine. Used a condor wheel chock, that worked well too.

I wouldn't trust a mesh ramp to support a 630lb motorcycle. I use an 18" wide x 7' aluminum ramp. works nice.

good luck..Baz

A 4x8 trailer is plenty large enough to haul an FJR. Just make sure the trailer is designed for the weight. It will make it easier if you buy a chock for the front wheel. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive one which works well.

If you're going to trailer the bike with your car/truck, I think a gentleman would let the wife ride in the vehicle.

tonguesmiley.gif

As others have stated the FJR will fit a 4x8 trailer, but the gate you may not like for long hauls. The mesh type ramp gates are pretty much made for loading lawn equipment. I have a Carson 4x8 flat bed utility with a HF wheel chock that works well. Instead of a gate I have the HF 7 foot tri-fold ramp. I can ride the FJR up and on and ride it off making it easy to load/unload. You may need to spend some time figuring out how you are going to strap to the front end.

I don't see that mesh ramp working well. I think you'll high center when you try to load, and I am not sure i"d trust it anyway.

I looked around and got a 9 foot arched ramp because my Dodge Ram was pretty tall, but for a shorter trailer, even a 6 foot ramp would be an improvement.

20140717_072939.jpg