600 Mile Check-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably do my first oli change this week. I read through the manual (yes, part of my job is to write technical manuals so I do actually read them.) and it says that the cables should be oiled at the 600 mile check.

Is the throttle cable the only one? How does one oil it?

I am glad to hear about the number of people that want to (or do) their own maintenance. Once you overcome the fear that you will screw something up (propagated by the dealers) most maintenance that will significantly extend the life of your ride is pretty simple. And there are enough excellent forums, like this one, whose members are more than anxious to help a fellow member with maintenance questions.

Given that, I suggest those of you unhappy with the cost/quality of service at your local dealer, write or email them and Yamaha. Maybe with enough negative feedback they will finally get the point. I can tell you that manufactuerers service organizations scan forums looking for issues that the factory is not aware of. A friend of mine with a new Triumph Speed Triple can attest to this.

As I have said before on this forum, you can do something if you vote with your wallet. Don't bitch about it and then do nothing. LET THEM KNOW you can, and will, take your business elsewhere and will encourage those you ride with to do the same.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

The Yamaha dealer in El Cajon wanted a $110 for the intial service so I went with it. I'm going to recheck the TBS myself at 2000 miles.