A Before-The-Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Well, I guess it's not really a ride report, but of my last 20 trips over the Bay Bridge, about 18 have been on the bike, so maybe sorta. And I got a super cool insider's tour of the brand new section of the bridge between Oakland and Yerba Buena Island, halfway across the San Francisco Bay. A separate bridge completes the 3-mile crossing. I weaseled my way into this tour thanks to being able to tag along with someone who actually rated being included. But it was just as cool anyway; they gave me the hard hat and orange vest just like I belonged there.

This is the bridge, of course, that suffered a partial collapse during the earthquake of October '89, just as the SF Giants-Oakland A's World Series was due to begin. Those pictures of the whole section that came down were seen everywhere. The new span is due to open next Labor Day. Then they'll start taking down the old one.

Today's tour took us all over the new span, including up to the very top of the single tower that supports the suspended section of the bridge. This bridge will soon be one of the most iconic images to identify San Francisco to the world like the Eiffel Tower means Paris. Check these piccies:

From the top of the SINGLE suspension tower of the new section of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, with traffic flowing by on the old one just a few feet away.

IMG_2887.JPG

The bridge opens in about a year, then the old one on the right comes down. The off-center Suspension section is higher so shipping can pass underneath

IMG_2884.JPG

The design is unique. Only ONE suspension cable loops all the way around under the bridge on both sides of the tower and back over the top of the tower to support the bridge's weight.

IMG_2899.JPG

Yerba Buena Island with San Francisco beyond. The eastbound lanes emerge here from the bottom of the 2-level tunnel through the island. The bridge beyond the island into S.F. is a double-decker; the new section, from here to Oakland behind, is side-by-side

IMG_2871.JPG

This is what it's going to look like. Very striking.

San-Francisco-Oakland-Bay-Bridge.gif

Even the lighting will be the first of its kind. If you're interested, there are millions of Google hits on this whole project. Impressive!

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WAS A NEW BRIDGE, OR THAT THE OLD ONE WASN'T SIMPLY REPAIRED.

Was it damaged that badly, or was the new one built for some other reason... like it was too old anyway or something??

Thanks for the update. Stuff like that doesn't hit the papers here in the Sunshine State.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

With the charges of doctored data on inspection procedures and questions of it's integrity, it's a good thing you ride a Gen I. I doubt this new span will be able to take the additional weight of a Gen II. :p Oh, and nice to know somebody to get that exclusive access. ;)

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THERE WAS A NEW BRIDGE, OR THAT THE OLD ONE WASN'T SIMPLY REPAIRED.

Was it damage that badly, or was the new one built for some other reason... like it was too old anyway or something??

Thanks for the update. Stuff like that doesn't hit the papers here in the Sunshine State.

Gary

darksider #44
It was old--close to the end of its designed lifespan. The technology has come a long way since then. The new bridge is built to a 150-year standard, twice what U.S. bridges are normally designed for. As for the damage from the earthquake . . .

lp_09.jpg

Cool! So shipping to be re-routed?
No, it will go under the bridge where the central suspension tower is. That's where the channel is deepest too so it probably always has gone that way.

Was it damaged that badly, or was the new one built for some other reason... like it was too old anyway or something??

Gary

darksider #44
It may or may not have needed to be replaced. Technically, only half the bridge is being replaced. The western half still remains.

And, in true California style, it only took 23 years and about 23 design changes and about 23 billion dollars in cost overruns and about 23 suspicious construction snafus to git er done.

Really cool, Mikey. Your report was very well done. You've a journalist's skills, I think.

I've been sorta following the progress, but it's awfully difficult to get a good look at it while you're zooming along the old bridge, trying to keep from being killed by

your fellow motorists.

It's an spectacular piece of engineering. (Was our Wheatie involved in the job?)

The San Francisco Bay ain't no lily pond, an incredible amount of traffic crosses it every day, and the earth moves around here. That hadda make it a challenge.

But, WAIT! Let's get a grumpy old bastard's take on it....
biggrin.gif

...And, in true California style, it only took 23 years and about 23 design changes and about 23 billion dollars in cost overruns and about 23 suspicious construction snafus to git er done.
And of course....

... it's a good thing you ride a Gen I. It gets chilly on the Bay, and that nut-roaster'll keep you warm.
You are wise between your beers beyond your years, CAJW.
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me that not a one of you Californians has mentioned that the construction of the new section is being performed by a Chinese contracting firm.

Why? Cal DOT says they couldn't get qualified US firms to bid on the job. Excuse me here a moment {cough...bull shit.... cough}.

Not trying to be Donnie Downer here, but as a native Californian myself, with a family who was in heavy construction for decades, just had to mention my bullshit meter was twitching there a bit!

Hope it all works out... wonder how any warranty work will be handled?

Don