A new kind of poser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
My wife and I and my brother, out for a pretty Saturday ride, stopped at the brewery in Philipsburg (MT) Saturday. The "Brit Iron Rebels Worldwide", identifiable by their matching logo-ed T-shirts, were in attendance - about a dozen or 15 or so, apparently from Missoula. What a bunch of posers, every bit as pretentious as the worst sort of pirate. Modern Bonnevilles and Thruxtons with the little shorty pipes or peashooters and clip-ons, wannabe rockers and mods...living the dream... Excessive noise is part of this culture, too.

They barely acknowledged us, let alone deigned to speak with us - heretics on Asian "prastic and aruminum..." As haughty as any H-D congregation.

We left a bit before that crew, but some caught up to us and passed us out on the open road. We were in a big, open valley with a few big sweepers that could be safely taken at 120 mph, but the Ace Cafe boys were hanging their butts off the seat at 80...! Ha! Funny! What was not funny was one of these asshats passing my brother on the right.

We headed from Drummond up toward Helmville, and another group of Brit Iron boys caught us at the bottom of a set of good twisties. Marilyn and I on the loaded FJR, brother Scott tucked in on his Bandit 1250 S (he's 62!)... I think they planned on giving us some lessons on riding hot, youngsters v. oldsters, etc... Right.

We headed into the twisties and Bro Scott and I rolled it on, running about 85 percent - 1/4-inch chicken strips. When we finished that 2-3 miles, there were no Brit Iron guys in sight in our mirrors. Once up on top, in the big pastures, we saw them again, about 3/4ths of a mile back. Apparently they can ride when the roads are straight, but... I wanted to ask them what sort of problem they'd had back there.

To each their own, I guess...

Lots of
asshat.gif
's out there...don't let'm ruin yer day

The Posers (mostly riding HD's) are thick these days, coming through Salmon. You know, when the temperature gets over 80 degrees they suddenly "hatch" and are all over the roads! Big swarms of them moving slowly and noisily!

I'll have to watch out for the Brit Boys, if they venture this far from Missoula.

Well, at least they are riding. Maybe someday they will grow up.

From my favorite singer/songwriter. James McMurtry

Lyrics to the song Hurricane Party

Some insurance man-biker
Is yellin' out for one more beer
But a part-time pirate just can't get
Much respect around here

Read more: James McMurtry - Hurricane Party Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Even he knows the status level of these clowns.

Love the honesty of these songs he writes.

Some insurance man-biker

Much respect around here

Cav47

Jame McMurtry performed in Virginia City, MT, a couple of weeks ago. Learned about it too late. I heard the show was wonderful, though he's not a commanding showman...

Beemerdons, yup, he was there! Seems he was partial to the porter.

Some insurance man-biker

Much respect around here

Cav47

Jame McMurtry performed in Virginia City, MT, a couple of weeks ago. Learned about it too late. I heard the show was wonderful, though he's not a commanding showman...

Beemerdons, yup, he was there! Seems he was partial to the porter.

I have become a huge fan of his. He spends quite of bit of time out there in God's country. I have a fitness goal to attain and if I get there, I will be heading down to see him either in Tupelo Miss. or over to Nashville to see him in early Sept. He normally plays small venues, Is that what the Virginia City place was? I am not into seeing him in a huge megaplex. He looks a little like Weird Al Yankovic. Not much flare and flash in his concert videos from youtube as you stated.

Thread hijack alert! Yes, "small venue" in Virginia City - about 150 people. Some would call that "an intimate setting." A very distinctive voice, a fine minstrel/story teller, kind of cut from the same cloth as John Prine, Greg Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread hijack alert! Yes, "small venue" in Virginia City - about 150 people. Some would call that "an intimate setting." A very distinctive voice, a fine minstrel/story teller, kind of cut from the same cloth as John Prine, Greg Brown.
Sorry about the hijack, but our ADD just kidnaps us sometimes. The small venue thing is great to hear someone from. I will check those other guys out. I like how youtube makes some suggestions. Some are good matches and some are not. I will have to check out the Prine and Brown connection. Thanks.

Back to our normally scheduled program of hating on posers...............be it the harley kind or otherwise. I actually don't have the same vile distain that ZIlla has recently developed for the Harley identity. As long as they don't impact me directly either physically or metaphorically, to each his own. As long as the bike owners know they are not bike riders, then I don't care. If they spew epic adventures of riding one full tank gas non-stop as something we should all be impressed with, I find other entertainment quickly. Poker runs are not long distance riding............neither is anything I have ever done. I don't know much but I do know that much!!!!

I just do not "get it" I guess. Just exactly what the hell are these guys supposed to be Rebelling against? "The Brit Iron Rebels Worldwide" indeed. Are they rebelling because their brand new retro bikes don't have those wonderful Lucas electrical systems? Are they rebelling because their modern fuel injection systems are disguised to look like old school carburetors? Are they rebelling because their brand new Triumphs are not any faster than they were back in the '60s? Maybe they are just rebelling because they have to grow up one day and get real jobs.

I have some good friends that ride Harleys and those guys are not "rebelling". They are riding. It just seems to me that rebelling and riding are mutually exclusive. You are doing one or the other but not both. Even the costumes are different.

Sucks about the dangerous pass but for me few things in life are more fun than leaving a poser in the dust at the first turn!

I am all for Harley parades...except when they are in front of me before a 50 mile section of twisted. Then I pass them...one way or another.

Fookers.

I met a good HD rider once, in southeastern Ohio. He was okay...not slow enough that I couldn't tolerate riding behind him for a few miles. ...and I'm not a fast FJR rider.

Call me Mr. Impatient.

Posers in restaurants are a pain but the more people who ride, even if its posing, the more likely they are to see you when they DRIVE!... We need to get more people on bikes. Even if it means selling them a lifestyle and throwing the bike in for free like Harley does. Its good for the manufacturers too. Look at what Ducati is doing with their Scrambler. Buy the bike and don't forget the goodies!

Most of the posers are greying old guys anyway.

Hey! I resemble that remark!
uhoh.gif

Long Beach, CA is practically the center of the hipster/rebel/retro universe. In Seal Beach, there's a store that caters to that lifestyle and it's always easy to tell where these guys are headed when you see them on the street, but the store did sponsor a great hot rod show a while back. They're slightly amusing, but not consciously evil or anything. I like to read Motorcycle Classics and Café Racer magazine, and the TV show Naked Speed is fun to watch, if only to point and laugh. Not as much as Isle of Man coverage, but we have to take our bikes on TV where we can find them. I will return "the wave" to anyone on the road, regardless.

Brit Iron Haters just wait until my buddy Jay Leno sells me his Vincent Black Shadow, I'm going to burn brodies into all of your yards! JSNS, Blimey!

54cacd1fd2f7a_-_black-shadow-0811-amar4b-mdn.jpg

Jewellry on one side of the scale and tools on the other, we all register on there somewhere on how we use our bikes.

I'm with Bug, they make pretty passing opportunities.