A ride down memory lane ...one year with the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
A year already with the FJR

Tonight I sat at my desk catching up on stuff and in the stack was a renewal from the Battle Born state of Nevada DMV for the FJR. ‘Geeze, nearly a year already’ I couldn’t help but reminisce since I got the bike.

Going back in time, I had a slight interest in the FJR, a buddy had one, he never rode it and babied it when he did. I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it, to let me know. A few weeks later the "like new' bike was in my garage.

I didn’t ride her much at first. She was a neglected step kid in the garage for many months, the other bikes getting the nod instead. I liked the bike, however my biggest surprise was how fat the old girl was -hitting the scales at a quarter of a ton. I should have known this, but for some reason I thought it was a more nimble bike.

I decided that when 2007 rolled around it was time to either ride her or sell her.

I decided since it was a popular bike in the LD community, I should dabble in that arena in 2007, put the bike to use and explore this new (to me) arena of LD riding.

I came into this forum to learn, and found a great amount of info here that helped. I still frequent FJRtech.com and that is the best one-stop place to get basic info on the bike and simple maintenance tid-bits. Thanks Dale for the organized concise info there.

I didn’t fit in well on this forum, got my initial posts deleted and/or closed, couldn’t log in for a while for misbehavin’ LOL. Oh well.

On a ride through the Napa Valley hills one day I ran into Bike Effects and he encouraged me to give it (forum) another try, I came back pretending to be a nice and well mannered fellow. The façade has worked for the most part as I can now consistently log in now and all but a few posts since then are still here.

Since January, I’ve put over 30Kmiles on the bike. From a miles standpoint, that is nearly 60% of the entire street riding that I’ve done so far this year (about 55K year to date). However, hours on the dirt bikes has really suffered.

I’ve had some great fun on the bike. Some nice trips up north, a challenging ride on some of the best roads in northern CA for a spontaneous in state Saddle Sore. Some rides in crazy weather. A couple of fun BBG rides, fun at the Utah1088 and I’ve explored some great areas with ease at rapid pace.

The bike loves to gobble up miles like Mrs. Packman gobbles up points at the arcade and it is fun to open a map, point to a place and 20hours later you can be just about anywhere in the west. A few hours sleep and you’re ready to go further and/or find another route home. The FJR has taken me through some groovy places.

Modestly farkled compared to many: Rick Mayers seat, some cheap (hella ff50) lights, heated grips, some sloppy wiring for the basic gadgets (gps, radar etc), sometimes an aux fuel cel …and that is about it.

Since day one I’ve promised myself that I’d upgrade the mediocre suspension, but now it is worn out and I don’t care, I just ride it. Even with the sloppy and worn OEM suspension, not many riders with bikes over 500lbs school me. Still, suspension upgrade should be the next frill for the fat old girl.

I do my own maintenance which is about nill on this bike. Seems gas, oil and tires are about all I do to her. Of course done TBS, tappet clearance etc …but really haven’t done much but twist the throttle and add gas and tires (a lot of tires BTW). I’m pretty confident that I have a mild ticker that may be getting worse. Ear plugs help me forget about it, I did grab an extended warranty because of this though. Maybe someday I’ll get it checked.

This is a damn good bike. I’m very happy with it. I’m going to ride this fat old girl until her legs go straight out and she dies on the trail. Of course I’ll continue to maintain her as well as abuse her until that day comes …and I have a feeling it will be a while and many miles before that happens.

Thank for the ride along ….I hope you enjoy your FJR as much as I enjoy mine. Riding Moto-Bikes is good fun, and the FJR is a very capable machine to enjoy this great sport that we share.

Here are some pics of our courtship so far:

My fat old girl on an in-state California SS1K …actually started and ended in Nevada but did necessary stuff to document the 1K+ miles in CA

P1010062.jpg

Sometimes she has the thrill of sneaking through chain checkpoints in the Sierras during winter storms

P1010014.JPG

....going through adverse weather to meet up with other riders. ....On the way to Morrow Bay to meet other FJR's

P1010009.JPG

....and an unsuccessful attempt to get home: (had to retreat back to Sacramento. Freeway actually got shut down)

P1010034.JPG

She took me on a great ride up to Prosser WA to meet up with other FJR folks ....Mr. Lisa Stevens pointed us toward this road which my fat gal and I violated on the way home:

Picture%20114.jpg

With Fairlaner across a frozen hwy 4 (Ebbets Pass) in the Sierras

P1020036.jpg

An early morning cruise through Nevada ...on way to an easy Nevada BBG, the girl loves to run

P1010339.JPG

She can be a naughty girl too:

P1010374.JPG

At WFO my girl getting washed for the fist time since I've had herr ....here she is taking a shower with some other fat chicks.

P1010005.jpg

Here we are at high elevation in Colorado ...you've heard of the MILE HIGH CLUB? My FJR gal and I consummated our relationship at nearly 3miles in elevation.

P1010068.jpg

Geeze, sometimes fat chicks are more fun ...and the FJR proves that.

I liked the bike, however my biggest surprise was how fat the old girl was -hitting the scales at a quarter of a ton. I should have known this, but for some reason I thought it was a more nimble bike.

Geeze, sometimes fat chicks are more fun ...and the FJR proves that.

I hate to be the one to break the news to ya Bro, but like so many other fat chicks...she's lyin' to ya about her weight. She'd still be over a quarter ton with all the bodywork off and fluids drained. I put my '04 on the scales when I first got it. 650 lbs with bags on but empty, and a full tank of fuel. But as you said, fat chicks can be fun too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great pics though.

Isn't Mt. Evans just one big smile after another. Just liket he FJR.I'm at two years and a bit and am still having the fun. I did, however buy that DRZ and the DRZ is chipping into the FJR's mileage a little :)

Wouldn't you really rather drive a Buick? Besides, she's not fat, just big boned!

Nice right-up John. Best part is, you survived this joint! :good:

Realy impressed with your pictures in the snow. I go to Lake Tahoe a lot in the snow and know these roads well.

But.... hasn't anyone told you not to ride in the snow???

Roger in Sunny California

FJR a fat chick?

I guess it's all relative... I thought she was a real lightweight after coming off my vtx 1800 (758 pounds) and I thought my VTX felt light after test riding a BMW K1200LT ( light truck) ...now there's a really heavy gal when you come to a stop sign.

Just for a challenge I tried manually backing up the K1200LT, I could save my gym dues, what a workout!

That is a good read RJ. Some people don't want to admit it, but the dirty little secret is, fat chicks can be fun too. Well, this one is anyway...........

I won't tell her she is fat though. I just keep telling her how purty she is, and maybe she will keep taking me where I want to go. End of November will be a year for me and I crossed the 8k mark last week. New tires are in the works. Not as much as you and not near as daring with the weather. A Texas thunderstorm is the worst I have pushed through. I do enjoy this bike as well as I enjoyed your post and photos.

Thanks man,

Bryan

I don't consider myself a fair weather rider, but seeing you ride IN the snow causes me to reconsider what a 'Fair-Weather-Rider' is. That's impressive; not to mention ballsy.

I must ask, what advice would you give, other than "not to", for riding in the snow?

Great write-up! Glad your enjoying the fat girl.

I guess that I would be considered a "fair weather rider" as I have no desire to even attempt riding the fat girl in the snow. Props to you. B)