A Saddlesore virgin gives it a try -- LONG POST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One heck of a report, sorry for the crap you encountered, dang. What a story tho.... 2 full cups of coffee for me to get thru it.

Congrats on the ride finish.

yess.gif
clapping.gif
Yippeeee!!!!!!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
yahoo.gif
drinks.gif

Cheers!

Welcome to the asylum club!

Just seeing this - congrats Hud on your accomplishment. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of an Iron Butt ride, but I'm not knocking it until I try it.

Top_Speed obviously has set the standard for STAR (Sport Touring Amphibious Riding)- from the read of this report, I suppose his mark is safe.

Glad you were not hurt. Before I read the outcome, I knew the bike was going to start.

Why in the world would a sane person plan to ride 1000 miles plus, all on the "slab"? 1000 miles of exit signs, semi-trucks and nascar wanna be's. That would make me hate riding for sure. I've done 3 and with very little slab, maybe 300 miles total out of the 3655 miles ridden. Come on fellas challenge yourselves, It's really not that hard to ride an SS and enjoy the ride too. Get off the beaten path and test yourselves. The accomplishment will be worth the extra effort.
punk.gif

Why in the world would a sane person plan to ride 1000 miles plus, all on the "slab"? 1000 miles of exit signs, semi-trucks and nascar wanna be's. That would make me hate riding for sure. I've done 3 and with very little slab, maybe 300 miles total out of the 3655 miles ridden. Come on fellas challenge yourselves, It's really not that hard to ride an SS and enjoy the ride too. Get off the beaten path and test yourselves. The accomplishment will be worth the extra effort.
punk.gif
Realizing of course that we here on the east coast don't have the open spaces. To travel 350-400 miles here on US hwys is usually 9-10 hrs in the saddle. If a SS is to be done over thisaways the slab is generally the only way to accomplish it.

Of course, in places like West Texas, you can't tell much difference between the side roads and the interstate, be it the scenery or the speed limits.
biggrin.png

Let's get together at NAFO and run one "out west" I'll show you some riding country you'll never forget. And to be honest with you, and I've said it here before, I probably wouldn't own an FJR or ride if I lived on the east coast. There is a huge difference between the two, and I have lived in the east so I can make the comparison.

Holy hell! Not sure how I missed this thread prior to meeting you at Hooterville. Had I read it before then, I would have been much more inquisitive. Now you know why I did not ask a single question about your SS1K adventure.

Glad you you and Ester survived the adventure and both are eager to continue many more!

Last edited by a moderator:
NMRoadRunner: NAFO 2016 is on my schedule, but I am already familiar with Rocky Mountain emptiness thanks to living in Idaho Falls, and dozens of ski visits to Utah and Colorado -- including Puragtory/Durango. Of course, locals like you know where the good stuff is located, so I'll look for you.

Allen_C: No biggie. That incident was one of the reasons I rode in the "grandma group". Don't kid yourself: the grandma group rode through Hooterville at a spirited pace.

From the Hooterville 2015 thread: Special thanks to Steve, who demonstrated that even though the signs say "One Lane Bridge; Yield to Oncoming Traffic" ..... if you're going Mach 3, you can just ignore that shit.

Last edited by a moderator: