ABS Needed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super13

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
of us have older models. Many of these bikes have ABS red indicator lights on intermittently. I had a dealer look into this. Blindly, he installed new sensors front and rear. $650. The red ABS light relit on the ride home. Personally, I am not an ABS kind of guy. Would you buy an FJR with intermittent red warning light? Thoughts?

of us have older models. Many of these bikes have ABS red indicator lights on intermittently. I had a dealer look into this. Blindly, he installed new sensors front and rear. $650. The red ABS light relit on the ride home. Personally, I am not an ABS kind of guy. Would you buy an FJR with intermittent red warning light? Thoughts?
Check your rear brake lever is returning properly. A sticking lever will cause the ABS warning light to come on. Not saying that is definitely ypur problem, but easy to check, that bearing does require periodic lubrication.

@Super13 - Sorry to hear of your issue. First, never darken the doorway of that dealer again. If you have deep pockets, sue them.

No, many older FJRs don't have ABS lights on intermittently. Whomever told you that was ignorant. Clean and grease your brake lever and pedal. If it continues, you have an electrical issue. Check the fuses and replace any suspect. (You might replace them anyway with new ones just to eliminate them as a suspect) Then I'd locate and inspect the VSS wires where they are accessible, as people commonly tapped them for aftermarket CC and other accessories. Damage or corrosion could be a root cause. If you need help finding suspect location for the VSS wires, read the installation instructions for CC kits and gear indicators.

You may not feel you are an ABS guy. Ride enough miles and you'll encounter conditions where ABS is very helpful. A dusting of sand before a stop sign, wet leaves or cut grass on the road, etc. Practicing threshold braking was a normal thing before ABS and it's still good to do with ABS, up to and engaging the ABS so you know what it feels like, (and to circulate fluid through the ABS solenoid), on a regular basis. It's a tool. No one out brakes ABS on the first try, and that's all you get on the street.