adjusting idle speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal

Reaction score
After having my head worked on (the bike's), the idle can't be lowered below ~1300 rpm, with the idle adjust screw backed out. I backed off the 4 idle stop screws (hex head and lock nuts) until they had ~5 thou clearance from the throttle linkage. The minimum idle is still ~1300.

Anyone know what the next adjustment is to get the idle to where the idle adjustment screw will function again?

thanks, Jim

After having my head worked on (the bike's), the idle can't be lowered below ~1300 rpm, with the idle adjust screw backed out. I backed off the 4 idle stop screws (hex head and lock nuts) until they had ~5 thou clearance from the throttle linkage. The minimum idle is still ~1300. Anyone know what the next adjustment is to get the idle to where the idle adjustment screw will function again?
Start looking for a vacuum leak.

Though it pains me to be helpful, here goes.

Might even be as simple as the throttle cable being adjusted to tight. I'd start there.

:jester:

edit; In my haste to be helpful I see ya have addressed that part... Shit I guess I better get some beer as this sober postin is making me look stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally you would not want to turn the idle stop screws you mentioned as thos were set by the throttle body OEM to a standard "closed" throttle position.

The idle air bypass screw (the one used to adjust the throttle body sync) is what you wanted to turn. Gently close all of those by turning clockwise and see if the idle comes down. A ballpark setting for those is about a half turn from bottomed out.

There is also a cold fast idle device on the LH side that mechanically holds the throttles open for cold fast idle. Make sure that is not the cause of your problem.

Looking for a vacuum leak is the most likely solution. If the head was off then there are plenty of opportunities for loose lines and vacuum leaks that would cause a fast idle.

thanks for the suggestions, i'll first check tha air bypass settings. If I mess around with it for awhile longer and can't bring it down I'll take it back to the dealer. I mentioned to the mechanic and he said to bring it back by.

Jin

After having my head worked on (the bike's), the idle can't be lowered below ~1300 rpm, with the idle adjust screw backed out. I backed off the 4 idle stop screws (hex head and lock nuts) until they had ~5 thou clearance from the throttle linkage. The minimum idle is still ~1300. Anyone know what the next adjustment is to get the idle to where the idle adjustment screw will function again?
Start looking for a vacuum leak.
Gunny!

A vacuum leak will cause a high idle, but it is usually associated with idle speed 'float' too. Floating is when the idle speed does not change in lock-step with the throttle movement, the engine speed will float down to the idle point rather than drop right down to idle.

Last edited by a moderator: