Advice on where to buy Z6 tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the OEM Metzler tire has "C" designation to it and the Bridgestone has it's letter designation (anyone know what it is?). Can anyone tell me what really is the difference between the OEM tire and a regular Metzler of the same size / model?

Do I really need to get the OEM? Is there and what is the difference?

And I'm sorry if this has been hashed out a bazillion times here. I did a search and found nothing relating to this but tons of tire info.

Thanks,

A "*BUMP*" after a whole 6 hours?!?! YGTBFKM!!!!

What, you like buying crap or sumpin'? ;)
Like our gerbil loving friend above alluded to, forget about the Metz and try a tire like the Avons, Pirellis, or Michelin Pilot Roads that have more universal appeal.

As for your orignal question, no, you don't need to get the OEM tire. As for a difference, yes, there is one and more than likely it's relatively minor and not something you would notice.

A "*BUMP*" after a whole 6 hours?!?! YGTBFKM!!!!
Yea, sorry if I broke some kind of forum etiquette there. :eek: We're not all forum masters, nor will act or perform as those that are would expect. I use the "View New Posts" link and when the post disappears from the listing page for New Posts then I bumped it. I apologize if that got under your skin. I was trying to get an (informative) answer as quick as possible.

I daily commute, and this stock Metz went south just_like_that. I need a replacement quick and I am curious if anyone knows exactly what the difference between OEM and the non OEM version of a tire is. I can pretty much figure out it can't be much, but thanks for your input. If no one knows, fine. If someone does, please explain it to me as I'm tired of getting the counter guys version, which happens to be different every time I ask.

As for the Avons I'm not happy with the description I get of the grip they offer from my friends whom have used them. I ride rather aggressively when out in the curves, dragging parts and such. I've heard the Avons are good for mileage, better than most of the other offerings out there. Which means they may not offer as much adhesion as the rest, and my friends reports seem to say the same.

If ya'll tell me the Avons offer the same grip I can get with the Metz's or Stone's then I may give them a whirl.

I'd still like to know just what the difference is between the OEM offering and the regular version is please, if anyone knows. :)

No forum breaking of forum etiquette or pissing me off done here. I was just being my typical smart-ass self. No need to apologize.

Hell yes the Avons stick better than the Metz! Of course this is all subjective, but Avons are one of the favorites around here, and not just for mileage. Most will agree that they handle great - better than the OEM tires. Think outside the box, try a set. It's not like you have to live with them forever.

For the answer to your original question, I would recommend trying to contact Metz. Look them up on the net and look for a way to contact customer service. That's how others have gotten good info on the Avons, Bridgestones, and Pirellis in the past.