AE Satisfaction?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastie

Reaction score
I have done a great deal of reading about the AE, and like a lot of what I am reading. It sounds like a good two up mount for the wife and I. But, like any long time bike rider I have some apprehension about trying something new, such as the auto clutch version of the FJR.

I would love to hear from AE owners regarding their satisfaction with the auto clutch, your challenges regarding a learning curve, etc.

I have a line on a 2007 AE with 10k miles on it for only $7200.00 and need to hear some feedback from real world owners before I take the plunge in a couple days.

I know that I will get some feedback from the standard clutch owners who don't think the AE is good, and I appreciate your input, but I really want to hear from those who have actual AE ownership experience.

Thanks for your input.

Take one for a ride or two. I needed a couple of rides before I made my decision.

An AE will require learning some new tricks and techniques before you feel confident enough to ride two up. Lots of people have dropped them because they didn't have those skills mastered. I got mine cheap because the previous owner tipped over at low speed and didn't trust the bike anymore.

I was always intrigued by the AE and learned as much as I could before riding one so that when I did get the opportunity I would be able to determine if it was for me or not in one or two test rides.

It took a couple hundred mi before i felt competent and maybe 1000mi before i felt I mastered it. Lots of parking lot training on slow speed U-turns, starts and stops, as well as high speed stopping practice are a good habit with any new bike and this is no exception.

The heavy traffic around Seattle can be challenging and the AE has been great for that. On track days it's great on hard left hand turns, you can shift without your foot under the shifter. After a while you don't even shift with your foot anymore.

There's an easy way to bleed the clutch fluid without taking half the bike apart. It only takes a few mintue more than a standard clutch, so that's not an issue anymore.

If you are up for all that and willing to take some shit from the penit gallery around here go for it.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Before purchasing my '08-A, I test rode a couple of AE's.

As stated there are techniques to the mastering the AE.

If the Right AE appeared before the A was available to me I would have no qualms about going for the AE.

Just my 2 cents.

I recently changed from my AE to a much lighter bike (Aprilia Tuono), but I honestly miss the quick finger flicking shifter every day in the later part of my commute to work. I did not have much of a learning curve at all with the shifting or low speed maneuvers (except for unsuccessful shifting attempts into second when the finger shifter was disabled becuase of a short stop on the road - very embarrassing, but you learn NOT to do that quickly as well!) I very much enjoyed my bike the two years I had it, but I second that you will take some crap from other folks about having an "automatic" bike... I always thought it should be compared to a sport car paddle shifter, nobody calls that an automatic! Good luck however you choose.

Take one for a ride or two. I needed a couple of rides before I made my decision.

An AE will require learning some new tricks and techniques before you feel confident enough to ride two up. Lots of people have dropped them because they didn't have those skills mastered. I got mine cheap because the previous owner tipped over at low speed and didn't trust the bike anymore.

I was always intrigued by the AE and learned as much as I could before riding one so that when I did get the opportunity I would be able to determine if it was for me or not in one or two test rides.

It took a couple hundred mi before i felt competent and maybe 1000mi before i felt I mastered it. Lots of parking lot training on slow speed U-turns, starts and stops, as well as high speed stopping practice are a good habit with any new bike and this is no exception.

The heavy traffic around Seattle can be challenging and the AE has been great for that. On track days it's great on hard left hand turns, you can shift without your foot under the shifter. After a while you don't even shift with your foot anymore.

There's an easy way to bleed the clutch fluid without taking half the bike apart. It only takes a few mintue more than a standard clutch, so that's not an issue anymore.

If you are up for all that and willing to take some shit from the penit gallery around here go for it.

Good luck
Thanks for stating this. I was at a cross-roads on the AE vs the 2012. After much consideration, use of this forum, meeting people, and seeing the bike, I deceided to stay with the 2012 (non AE).

For me, it was riding style and I was not willing to be forced to "quickly learn" the pro's and con's of this bike - new riding style :unsure: . Again, for me and my style of riding, the driving force was safety and style vs price and learning curve - just MHO ;) .

As you are looking at an 07, you should know that this was drastically improved upon for the 08 model year. The throttle pull combined with the fueling makes for a very short period between off and on the throttle, making it a little more difficult to control. You can learn to deal with it or there are fixes. Most popular are the throttle return spring unwind, Power Commander with smoothness map, and a G2 throttle tube. This problem exists also on the 06 and 07 standard clutch bikes, but when you are controlling the clutch you can deal with it using throttle and clutch, with the AE all you have to work with is the throttle.

I've done all three to mine and it is very smooth and I like it a lot. I haven't any reason for the auto clutch though, so if I had to replace it today and two bikes of the same year, same farkles and same price were presented to me, I'd probably go with the standard clutch.

There's two exceptions to the above statement.

1. Did I just sit through rush hour traffic? If so I'd likely be choosing the AE. Man does the AE really shine in stop and go traffic, but only when the above fixes are applied. It's a dream to handle this stuff.

2. Is the model presented the 2007? Ick, I'll take the AE, I'm not being seen on that nasty color 2007 FJR with the standard clutch. :lol:

(AE) Try to go '09+ as Yami altered the smoothness of the auto engagement clutch that year. In stop & go traffic it will mean alot.

Really like the AE especially after about 200 miles. It so nice to pull up to a stop sign/light and not have to pull or release the lever n wen the light changes just give some throttle n away u go!. This is now a natural act but boy at first... weird!

So once you go AE and get use to it you won't look back.

This is my 4th summer with my AE. There is certainly a learning curve with the AE and low speed riding. I remember the day a riding buddy (ST1300 rider) wanted to try my bike as we were headed from Niagara on the Lake to Niagara Falls. We got to Niagara Falls fine, but when riding in heavy traffic, and downshifting with the paddle shifter, he kept hitting the horn which is the next button up. Needless to say he kept doing it, and with the airhorn on my bike got quite a few looks on the crowded streets. I never use the foot shifter at all anymore. The fella I bought the bike from used to shift up with his hand and shift down with his foot. Nice to have options I guess. I never was able to get the timing right with the foot shift after so many years of riding with a clutch. The one thing I can say about the AE is after 4 years of riding I have never missed a shift!

So once you go AE and get use to it you won't look back.
And when you do, you have to pay attention.

After only a couple weeks with my AE, I went to take my FZ1 for a spin before selling it. I had to sit and really remind myself to use that lever over there.

On my CBR600RR, once I figured out the RPM sweet-spots, I really only needed the clutch lever for getting into first and through neutral into second. Three through six went in smoothly without needing the clutch lever at all.

I just got 2006 fjr AE last Sunday. I also hesitated when buying this AE version. I spent a night researching how to use the shifter online and the next day decided to take the bike motivated by a good deal on the price. I test rode it for a few miles and the shifter is so slick and easy to use. My 55 mile riding home was a smile on my face. It was a smooth ride. I can't believe I get used to the shifter that fast. A few traffic stop and go on the way with no problem. In fact a nice thing about it is when you stop with a first gear on, you can release your right hand from the throttle, and stretch out. The clutch internally disengages until you open the throttle again. Perhaps I come from a cruiser so my style of riding isn't that agressive and thus adapt to the AE easier. Now no more foot and hand coordination on a manual clutch shifting (though I do really well). hihihi. Love the bike so much. I can shift that energy to enjoy the bike more and more. I think Yamaha has made a huge step in the right direction, make riding less complicated. Unfortunately no more AE version starting model year 2011 I believe.

My 07 AE has a bit over 30K on it and I dread the day I have to go back to a standard clutch. I will most likely keep my eye out for an 09 AE after I put a lot more miles on this one. It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out...just made sense to me. There are some additional tricks to learn, but you don't have to know those from day one. I never used the foot shifter on the AE and I shift both up and down with my index finger. The bike is so simple to shift that I use the clutch way more than the brakes to control my ride. In fact, you have to be careful to tap the brakes when slowing down to let others know what you're up to. I have often come to an almost complete stop before using any brake. There is nothing better in rush hour traffic, although I try my best to avoid it in the first place. :) Give it a shot...you won't be disappointed.

Coastie - I'm now in my fourth year on my '08AE. I've put 58K almost trouble free miles on the bike. It took me all of about 10 minutes to get used to the paddle shifter. I only use the foot shifter when I'm screwing around with my left hand. Also, the front of the paddle shifter can be used to shift up or down, as it is a rocker type design. I don't use my thumb to downshift because I honk the damn horn instead when I try. It's much easier for me to use my forefinger for up and down shifting. There really is a very short learning curve to this.

As for slow speed / parking lot turns, it takes a little practice and you learn to use the rear brake against the throttle input to control your speed, much as you would feather the clutch. There's really nothing to it after a little practice.

IMHO it was a sad day when Yamaha announced they were ending production of the AE. As for the ribbing - who gives a shit? They're just jealous! :p

Like the Gix said, there are fixes for the throttle control on the '07 so that's a non issue if you are getting a good deal, which it sounds like you are. You spend a little of your savings on doing the fixes mentioned.

Good luck!

Coastie - I'm now in my fourth year on my '08AE. I've put 58K almost trouble free miles on the bike. It took me all of about 10 minutes to get used to the paddle shifter. I only use the foot shifter when I'm screwing around with my left hand. Also, the front of the paddle shifter can be used to shift up or down, as it is a rocker type design. I don't use my thumb to downshift because I honk the damn horn instead when I try. It's much easier for me to use my forefinger for up and down shifting. There really is a very short learning curve to this.

As for slow speed / parking lot turns, it takes a little practice and you learn to use the rear brake against the throttle input to control your speed, much as you would feather the clutch. There's really nothing to it after a little practice.

IMHO it was a sad day when Yamaha announced they were ending production of the AE. As for the ribbing - who gives a shit? They're just jealous! :p

Like the Gix said, there are fixes for the throttle control on the '07 so that's a non issue if you are getting a good deal, which it sounds like you are. You spend a little of your savings on doing the fixes mentioned.

Good luck!

I completely agree. My 08 AE has been just about perfect, 22,000 miles.

In my case I hadn't owned a bike for 33 years since my Honda F2 back in England, or ridden one since I rented in Majorca 20 years ago.

The motorcycle test course I took here in February convinced me I could still handle a bike and the first sight of an FJR in the flesh seduced me. I wanted one! But wait, the subject was minus a clutch lever!

Like you I researched owners and detracters alike and curiosity got the better of me so after a few laps of the dealer's parking lot I went for the full blown test run.

Many hits on the horn button yes but maybe as I hadn't ridden a stock clutch bike for so long I wasn't feeling there was something missing in my left hand quite so acutely.I think the time away has actually helped me.

After nearly four months of ownership I'm loving it more and more. I've settled into the habit of up with the paddle, down with the foot and as others have said , that paddle is damn sweet and faultless. I too practiced the slow turns, dragging the rear brake to maintain stability and a couple of weeks was enough to feel confident. Now it feels natural riding this way.

With the help and guidance of the forum guys I've done the throttle spring unwind-a big improvement-also done a TBS and fitted Grip Buddies for more comfortable grips.

Sure there is still room for improvement ie Power Commander, G2 Throttle mod etc but my feeling is that it's possible to live with some of these things, it's a motorbike after all and concentrating on what needs to happen is not such a bad thing.

Just MHO. Go for it, keep coming back here and you'll never be alone!

Yamaha did a really piss poor job documenting how the AE system works. Let me first say that I really really like my AE. It only took a quick trip around the dealership parking lot to feel comfortable enough with it to ride home. However, I am now in my third summer with this bike and I'm still learning little things that make me smoother on it.