AE shifting question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkrkr4lif

Reaction score
Just picked up my first FJR couple weeks ago, it is a 2007 and the AE flavor. It just turned 30000 miles. What I'm wondering is if I have a problem or this is normal. If I get on the throttle pretty hard and shift the engine revs higher while the computer shifts and after the computer does the gear change the engine goes back to where it should be. If I take off and just slightly relax on the throttle when I do the shift, it makes a nice proper shift. If I get really throttle happy it almost sounds like the clutch slips a little before the gear engages.

You're supposed to let off the throttle some before you hit the button. Just like a clutch bike. If you're in too high a gear, the AE will feather the clutch.

I though that you should be able to just shift without letting up?! I guess I need to work on my timing a little. I went from a DCT honda to this so I got a little learning curve

It will allow you to shift without letting off the throttle, but that's not ideal. You should relax the throttle slightly when shifting and it will be buttery smooth.

Noooooooooooooooooooo, this is not a DCT or an automatic. It is an electronic clutch. Basically, you let off the gas, just like a clutch shift, and punch the shifter, either foot or thumb. The clutch has to disengage. What your doing is akin to shifting a standard bike without ever letting off the throttle. It revs and jumps because of the clutch engagement/disengagement.

Honestly, I don't know if it will hurt the AE because of the electronic clutch doing what it does, but I wouldn't do that to my bike. Others with more AE knowledge will be along.

To my knowledge, there is no momentary ignition kill on one or more cylinders to help engage the next gear, like a electric shift drag bike. You have to let up a bit to give it a chance to shift - then nail it. This becomes second nature anyway with practice. The only time you can shift without letting up is during normal traffic acceleration, the throttle will not be that wide open and the gear shift will happen smoothly.

By the way, these Advanced Edition bikes will easily loft their front wheel. I know, mine came up rather unexpectedly the other day, in second gear. I love long straight freeway on ramps; nothing like decelerating to fit into traffic.

Brodie

hyper.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you'll get used to it. Learning when and how much to close the throttle to get a good quick shift. You'll be buttery smooth in no time.

Once you get the hang of it, post up a comparison on the AE vs the Honda DCT with your thoughts. I've been itching to try one of those and see how well it works. I've read up on the tech and like what I see, but have yet to actually try one.

I had the nc700x dct and I'm 6'1 and 260. I was a little big for the seat so it was never really comfortable. But 65mpg and doing 75 down the highway was nice. I just wanted a bigger bike....I go from 50hp to 144, go big or go home right?! The NC could hold 430lbs but the vfr1200 dct could only hold 380 so when riding 2 up that wouldn't work

I've had my 2008 AE since last November. I had a regular tranny 2005 FJR & put over 30,000 miles on it so I was familiar with FJR's

I too thought you just shifted without letting up on the throttle until I read the owners manual. Now, I shift so seamless you don't feel much change. I don't miss my wife's helmet banging into mine while shifting.

Also, a tip I read on here that helped me a lot was when downshifting, use the same lever you upshift with, just put your finger on the backside. I hardly ever use the foot shifter now. When I get back on my Super Tenere that clutch is somewhat of an annoyance.

You'll figure it out. I'm glad I chose an AE model.

Because it's an AE, do I need to use conventional or synthetic oil? I like synthetic myself and amsoil makes a 20w-40 like it calls for. this is all new to me so just trying to do it right. I have been on this forum for hours and hours just looking around

Use whatever makes you happy. Just nothing with Friction Modifiers or Energy Saving additives. There is nothing different about the build of the bike. Same cases, same tranny and all. Just different parts to actuate the clutch engagement and shift. The clutch pack is the same.

I like the Castrol Actevo, many use the Shell Rotella in standard and synthetic varieties. Sometimes some bikes like one over the other, so find one you like and be happy about it.

You have a LOT of reading to do.

You have to understand that the AE is no different mechanically than the non-AE bikes.

Identical engine, identical transmission, identical clutch, identical ratchet shifter. It just has a gizmo that works the clutch electronically, instead of you having to inconvenience yourself by using your left hand, and it has motors to move the shifter instead of making you inconvenience yourself by moving your left foot.
smile.png
It even works the clutch with the same hydraulic slave cylinder that a hand lever would work through.

Oils and plugs and stuff are the same as the actual motorcycles the rest of us ride! Nothing special about the AE where that's concerned.

Yes, breathe the throttle during the shift! You will destroy the clutch with what you've been doing.

And I see 'Zilla beat me to the punch with the "it's all the same inside" line. How embarrassing.....

What happens with your up-shift if you keep the power on is the clutch disengages, the engine revs rise (possibly hitting the limiter, won't harm it).

The gear-box selects the next gear.

Now the MCU starts to engage the clutch. It is measuring the speed of both sides, decides the differential is too great, so it signals the ECU which retards the ignition, so reducing engine power a little.

The MCU continues to let the clutch slip while the engine revs reduce, gradually increasing the clutch engagement, finally fully engaging when the revs both sides of the clutch are close enough.

This gives a very sluggish-feeling up-change (accompanied by amateurish engine revving).

You should unload the gearbox while you flick the gear change switch, it only needs a momentary dip of the throttle. Time it right, you get a very fast and smooth change.

Goes for down-changes as well, but with a momentary increase in throttle; again, all you are really doing is unloading the gearbox during the change.

Now, on my Gen III YCC-S (unavailable State-side), it does properly deal with the engine speed. Its smoothest changes are made by not moving the throttle, smoothest of all if in touring mode, but I rarely use that. (Found that out when taking a passenger.)

I was going to share some words of wisdom about the AE but, they have all been covered. I agree with all the replies. Enjoy that trigger shifter. It's wonderful. :)

When you are in parade/town riding w shifting, then you don't blip the throttle down very much at all (if any sometimes). Harder on the throttle? oh yeah, you have to blip off the throttle just like a hand lever clutch model.

It's quite slick, but there is a slight learning curve and you have to get the "automatic" thing outta yur head.

Now, on my Gen III YCC-S (unavailable State-side), it does properly deal with the engine speed. Its smoothest changes are made by not moving the throttle, smoothest of all if in touring mode, but I rarely use that. (Found that out when taking a passenger.)
Nobody likes a showoff.
biggrin.png
+ 1 Jasen!
no.gif
grin.gif
If the 3AE were available Stateside, there would be one in my stable! Luv the AE! But then again, I guess Mactrophy doesn't really have an AE - he has an ES, so is he really "showing off"?
flirt.gif
Whatever it is - please Mama Yama let us have the AE/ES, whatever you want to call it, call it the FJR SCOOTER - we don't care! Just let us have the damn Gen III AE!

To the original poster, just as most everyone else has said, simply blip the throttle when under a hard pull and it'll (should) shift like butter. If it doesn't, pay your local Yammie dealer a visit. But that should do it for you. Welcome to the Forum - plenty of AE info here, just dig around a little.

Now, on my Gen III YCC-S (unavailable State-side), it does properly deal with the engine speed. Its smoothest changes are made by not moving the throttle, smoothest of all if in touring mode, but I rarely use that. (Found that out when https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160450-what-a-wonderful-bike/]taking a passenger[/url].)
Nobody likes a showoff. :D
+ 1 Jasen! :no: If the 3AE were available Stateside, there would be one in my stable! Luv the AE! But then again, I guess Mactrophy doesn't really have an AE - he has an ES, so is he really "showing off"? :flirt: Whatever it is - please Mama Yama let us have the AE/ES, whatever you want to call it, call it the FJR SCOOTER - we don't care! Just let us have the damn Gen III AE!

It's officially an AS in the UK (and some other markets). And it does have the suspension of what you call the ES.
For some sort of explanation of the designation, read my post here.