AE vs Standard Clutch Pro and Con

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if I stop put it in nuetral, peg it to 11.5k and step on the shifter or hit the paddle shifter. Will it wheelie, I like to wheelie, wheelies are cool and I was going to stunt the bike like a real gansta stunna. I was goinz to putz da heavy duty chain and big ol 72 teeth sprocket soz i can be badz on de fwee ways wheeling in front of the PoPo hoping they chasez mez cuz/
So is this your R1?

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3909591074.html
No but dat guyz badz azz, he is doowing a big wheelie. I bet stoppies r easy scheemzy too, I amz going to modz the FJR fo schnizzle

This is my biatch I dooz all kindza stunz on dis, she sho badz

Lacy_Single_Sided_Swingarm.jpg

IN all seriousness, the last few posts I did are puns and funnies against the rash of bombastic replies with regards to the original inquiry. Funny that I see the same type of I know it all your all wrong posts even on a forum as sophisticated and civil as here
fool.gif

A lot of great info, as I said I have learned a lot and will more than likely go AE when I am ready. The clutch has a 5% chance, just depends on some things (Personal Choices)

Sounds to me, the clutch works no different (Conceptually) than a rekluse, so I would feel very much at home as an entirely new technique is used.

I asked a simple question, many of which answered with honest sound experiance
punk.gif
the others, well they are a dime a dozen
bleh.gif
haha.gif

Here's my unique take on the AE. For stop and go traffic and endless red lights in the city, it takes more mental energy to be smoother or as smooth as a normal bike. Out side of the city and especially in the canyons, it's awesome beyond belief to click around the gearbox with one finger and it's as smooth as can be. I hope I haven't spoiled myself for future bikes, because I will go back to a regular clutch eventually.

The FJR's that I've seen at dealers, when I pull in the clutch, I'm amazed at how stiff the pull is. For this particular bike, especially for touring, the AE is the only way to go IMO.

However If the YCCT breaks, I'll ghost ride it off a cliff if I can even get the stupid thing to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I purchased the AE was I got out the door with a brand spanking new FJR for just over 10K. 20k miles later I have no regrets, but if both the A and the AE had the same price point, I would have bought the "A".

Now that I am drooling over a new blue Gen III. I am considering trading in my 2008 AE. After moving my goodies over from my AE. Trade in or sales value will be just 2K less than when purchased in 09 ;)

I just got back from California and I was surprised by how much jerkier the shifting was at sea level. Seems much smoother up here in Colorado. The throttle was also waaay snappier when opening it from closed and not in a good way. Runs like a bat out of hell though

Lack of Cruise Control choices is a (-minus) with the AE
Nothing like a thread such as this to remind me how totally full of shit some people really are.
I think it has more to do with the factory heated grips. I bought a set; https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7755]https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7755[/url]

Clearly states in very first line (my fault as I had everyone else's mentality on this!)

Fits Yamaha FJR1300 '03-'13. Will NOT fit AE model or models with heated grips

Then in my research to replace, I found a few more with the same results. Hence my warning.

Nothing like a thread like this that brings out reality. Now who's full of shit?

I thought so.
I sure hope you're not talking to me. I hadn't even posted in this thread. Some jackass took what I said in an oil thread and posted it here. I wonder who that was...Fukin' Howie!
I have no opinion on this, as I honestly don't give a crap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack of Cruise Control choices is a (-minus) with the AE
Nothing like a thread such as this to remind me how totally full of shit some people really are.
I think it has more to do with the factory heated grips. I bought a set; https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7755]https://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7755[/url]

Clearly states in very first line (my fault as I had everyone else's mentality on this!)

Fits Yamaha FJR1300 '03-'13. Will NOT fit AE model or models with heated grips

Then in my research to replace, I found a few more with the same results. Hence my warning.

Nothing like a thread like this that brings out reality. Now who's full of shit?

I thought so.
I sure hope you're not talking to me. I hadn't even posted in this thread. Some jackass took what I said in an oil thread and posted it here. I wonder who that was...Fukin' Howie!
I have no opinion on this, as I honestly don't give a crap!
Oh your buddy Howie did ya in? lol.... it's all good, he's probably near full-throttle-senile-mode anyways.

The AE is awesome for daily commuting. No more hand cramps from being stuck in hours of stop 'n go traffic. I am curious about the bump starting as I'm not clear on how you can re-engage the clutch when the battery is dead.

...I am curious about the bump starting as I'm not clear on how you can re-engage the clutch when the battery is dead.
Can't be done. Carry jump leads if you are worried.
Sure would of been nice if Mama-Y included that w the AE. Definitely one of the biggest AE gripes but the upside is so good, it makes you forget about these lil flaws quite easily.

Battery Tender wire. Cheapest and one of my first add-on farkles.

If only you would make me one . . . .
I posted a parts list, schematic, and basic instructions a while back in this thread.

The parts should cost about $3 if you have to buy everything, and then it's just a matter of connecting everything up, which might take an hour or two if you work really slowly (I mean carefully). I predict this would very quickly become one of your favorite upgrades.

Had my 08 AE for almost 4 years now. Also have a FZ1, and two other bikes all regular shift. Completely satisfied with the AE. Minor differences with ultra slow speed turning, but very managable.

I'm consider'in one; kinda scared though since I used to feather the clutch a lot on mah '07A whilst ride'in in rain, sleet, snow 'n on black ice.
tongue.png

Has anybody had an AE and reallt hated it?

I just picked up an AE a month ago. No regrets so far. I do NOT miss the clutch lever at all. If they offered a full auto (with reverse of course!) I would buy one of those!

It has made me take a look at the other types of DCTs and such from Honda, but they can all wait for a while.

I only have about 300 miles so far, I have not really been bothered by all by the usual complaints. As soon as the snow and ice disappears from OK, I will pile more miles on.

Bottom line, I do like it, and don't see any reason in the future to not like it.

If only you would make me one . . . .
I posted a parts list, schematic, and basic instructions a while back in this thread.

The parts should cost about $3 if you have to buy everything, and then it's just a matter of connecting everything up, which might take an hour or two if you work really slowly (I mean carefully). I predict this would very quickly become one of your favorite upgrades.
Cool just saw this response. Will build one when I have a second. 1/4 watt resistor ok?