Aftermarket Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriscoJim

Reaction score
I've searched and could not find anything on this. I've always changed out grips on my previous bikes to the Kuryakan ISO grips (cruisers of course). Was wondering if anybody did anything with the stock grips on an FJR - I don't want heated - any suggestions?

Grip Puppies

Grip Puppies just slide on over the stock grip and give you a foam grip on top, which absorbs a little vibration, and adds a little comfort...

I bought them right away when I got my bike and I really like them...

Others have suggested the BMW grips, and again others have suggested the

Tacki grips...

Tacki

Hope some of this helps in your search for the right comfort Zone !!

Warp

I've tried them all....ended up using the Tacki Grip Grand Touring model. It is a personal choice thing though. Everybody seems to have their own pick of what's best for themselves.

I changed to the BMW grips and then added the Grip Puppies. Felt kinda fat at first, but now I'm used to it and haven't had any tingling, cramps, etc in my throttle hand. The BMW grips were an improvement by themselves, the GPs just made it better.

Similar for me, got the slip on foam grips from a vendor called Griptek (I think, or something close to that), put them on over the stockers, and like em.

Thanks for all the responses. Another question would be concerning a throttle boss set-up. I'm not a fan of cruise control but for a break I do like to open the hand up and lay the wrist of my Kury Throttle boss - any comparable item for the FJR?

Do a search on throttle and you will find a lot.

I have the throttle rocker which works well for me. https://www.throttlerocker.com/

Many have the audovox which is like having cruise in your car.

Others have tried the throttlemeister but many seem to either not use it/don't like it whatever.

I have the exact setup you are talking about on my FJR,

The Iso Grips and a Throttle Boss.

So far I like them both....dampens some vibes and lets me

relax my grip.

Have gotten some positive comments on the look too!

I don't like big grips, but the Tacki Touring Grips was my final choice for helping the numb right hand thing. Unhooking the center return spring helped, Heli inserts (latest model) helped very little, throttle rocker helped a little but the Tacki grips did the most good...Later,,, De B)

I've tried all the different grips mentioned also and found that the best thing to do was just put on the Grip Puppyies over whatever grips you have on the bike. I had better results doing this than with any of the half dozen grip changes I tried. The other thing I really like about them is that they are much easier to change/replace than removing the full grip. Just cut off the Grip Puppyie and slip a new one over the grips.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

Personally tried the TACKY GRIPS and hated them. Have tried a couple of others and settled on ProGrip Gel Superbike grips! I love these! Have them on both the FJR and R1. They absorb most of the vibs and very comfortable due to the gel! The tacky grip's were hard too! Package said Med. !

I've had the tacki-grips on my last 4 bikes including two FJR's. As I'm sure you've sumised, grips are a personal thing. Trial and error will reveal what's right for you. Here's a pic of the tacki's on my first FJR

Grips

SPIII-Vista.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my 05 in April of this year and love everything about the bike -- but like many experienced a numbness in my right hand and fingers. Got the Heli risers, Tacki Grips, and a throttle rocker and can say that all of these are a great help. The Tacki grips are a bit "fat", but most seem to like them -- personal preference.

Love this bike more and more with each ride :D

Latest posts