Airflow adjustment on the 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeld

Reaction score
Having experienced a few hot days, I feel I need more air flow over my body when riding my 03FJR. The 06FJR has some adjustability on its fairing. How practical is this? Is it to vent away more of the hot air from the engine or can I adjust it to pick up more of the slipstream to cool my legs? Is there a vent at the front now for more airflow?

It's always a trade-off on the country roads though - more air flow means more bugs on my visor. :(

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Having experienced a few hot days, I feel I need more air flow over my body when riding my 03FJR. The 06FJR has some adjustability on its fairing. How practical is this? Is it to vent away more of the hot air from the engine or can I adjust it to pick up more of the slipstream to cool my legs? Is there a vent at the front now for more airflow?
It's always a trade-off on the country roads though - more air flow means more bugs on my visor. :(

Thanks
I believe opening the fairing "vents" on the '06 will direct more hot air at the rider. Closing them shuts off the hot air. This is great in colder temps but doesn't answer your need.

I have done some experimenting with the vent positions on the 06.

The hot air from the exhast headers flows out the two forward openings and travels along the edge of the fairing panels. You can confirm this by simply putting your hand down along the edge of the panel at speed and feeling the hot air flow path.

With the panels in the INBOARD position, the hot airflow along the panel is routed around and onto your lower legs, thus warming your lower leg.

With the panels in the OUTBOARD postition, this warm air flow is pushed further out from your legs and body. While it does result in a reduction of airflow, it is the HOT air off the headers that it is reducing.

I have been riding with my panels in the OUTBOARD position in 105-110 degree temps for the past week, and I can tell you my lower legs don't get as hot. So my conclusion is that the INBOARD position is for WINTER riding, and the OUTBOARD for summer.

You may have a different experience, but this is what is working for me. Try it both ways and make up your own mind.

I have been riding with my panels in the OUTBOARD position in 105-110 degree temps for the past week, and I can tell you my lower legs don't get as hot. So my conclusion is that the INBOARD position is for WINTER riding, and the OUTBOARD for summer.
+1 on what Fred said. I have done exactly the same configuration and in 110* ambient temperatures, my result was cooler lower legs.

When riding here in the Midwest on my 05, I do feel some cool air coming up the front forks close to the dash, however that air never seems to make it to the cockpit area.

Seems the only air I get is the stagnant hot air that seems to stay under the rear of the gas tank.

I posted pics of the 06 vent set up sometime in the past on this FJR specific section.

I dawned my rain gear under my riding gear as it was starting to rain as I left work yesterday and feel I'll be doing the same today. Man I feel like I'm wearing a wet suit at times.

It sure did feel like an oven here yesterday, my bike stayed at 3 and 4 bars even at speed.

I stayed at 3 & 4 bars as well, however I decided, I am not going to worry about it anymore.

There was someone who posted an idea of an ideal solution, like a spoiler placed in the vents on the side of the lower fairing, it seemed to pull the hot air just as they are stating the 06 adjustment does.

Then there are these gold wing fab's for under the mirrors to direct some air flow to the rider.

I saw an 85 gold wing pull into the lot of my second job last night the guy happen to have a set of those he stated had been on it since he purchased it. I do not know if that is true, however he did seem to state they do direct air where you want it.

I personally think they are to big for our bike, half size ones would look nicer.

Do I guess the thing do do is to find a way to duct the hot air out from under the tank, almost like fabricating a exhaust just for that purpose. Then install very small fans toward the rear of it and running them off solar power to pull the hot air out and release it behind the folks on board!

maybe I'll play around with that before going to EOM!

+1 on what Fred said. I have done exactly the same configuration and in 110* ambient temperatures, my result was cooler lower legs.
Having read the above I went out and moved the panels outward at lunch. They're above the shin level, but maybe the air flows downward in that area, or perhaps it influences airflow in the lower part of the farings. The ride home should be test enough, though it's relatively cool today in the DFW area - it's only "damn hot".

You may have a different experience, but this is what is working for me. Try it both ways and make up your own mind.
Interesting...I thought it was considered to be just the opposite so I have left mine in the INBOARD position. I will switch to the OUTBOARD position right now.

As always, thanks for the great tip Fred :clapping:

2006 FJR1300A/E - AIR Management System

What is the Air Management System?

The air management system is a series of new features on the 2006 FJR that work to keep the rider comfortable by managing the way that air flows around and through the motorcycle as it moves down the road. There are two main elements of the Air Management System: the first is designed to direct hot air away from the rider and motorcycle keeping the rider cool. The second is designed to direct cool air around the rider, making for a more comfortable ride at speed.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Heat Management

The heat management system was created using computer simulation and wind tunnel testing and is based on the principles of fluid mechanics.

Part of the heat management system is the use of a new curved radiator with twin ring fans that work to push the majority of air, heated as it passes through the radiator, out the sides of the motorcycle and away from the rider. In addition, the heat management system directs cool air through a vent above the radiator. This cool air mixes with the warm air that has passed through the radiator and mixed air then passes below a new formed heat shield located above the engine. This mixed air then exits the motorcycle below the engine.

The heat management system also directs low temperature air through vents on the sides of the headlights. This cool air enters the area between the fairing and frame creating a high pressure area. This high pressure pushes the air through a cool air inlet at the front of the frame. The cool air then passes above a new formed heat shield located above the engine and absorbs any heat that escapes above the heat shield. The air then exits the motorcycle between the fairing panels below and behind the rider.

Rider Airflow Management

The rider airflow management also manipulates air pressure to ensure the rider is comfortable. Two new vents located at the base of the windshield are opened when the windshield is in the highest position. These vents feed air up the rear side of the windshield to dampen the air vortex that is formed as air passes over the top of the windshield. This reduces helmet buffeting.

In addition, a new vent located in the fairing below the windshield feeds air through the fairing and out a vent located below the instruments to reduce the low pressure area behind the windshield. This reduces the helmet pulling sensation that most motorcycles experience when the shield is up. Adjustable side vents also allow the rider to direct warm air on or away from their legs, depending on outside temperature.

Adjustable side vents also allow the rider to direct warm air on or away from their legs, depending on outside temperature.
This is the key sentence. The vents allow you to direct the warm air that flows out from the headers away from your legs when they are in the OUTBOARD position.

Adjustable side vents also allow the rider to direct warm air on or away from their legs, depending on outside temperature.
This is the key sentence. The vents allow you to direct the warm air that flows out from the headers away from your legs when they are in the OUTBOARD position.
This is true. In the outboard position the hot air from the engine is diverted further away from the rider. You would think that Yamaha might have mentioned that in the section of the manual that explains how to adjust them. :dribble:

I noticed a big difference when I moved mine out.

My approach wasn't nearly as scientific.

1.) I couldn't find any info on which position drew more heat away from the engine

2.) I tried 'em in both positions and could detect no difference.

3.) I figured I had even odds of getting it right, so I left 'em out.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their indicated temperature?

I'll be damned, who would of thunk it...thanks Fred, I probably would have been riding around this fall, vents open, thinking 'it sure got cold quick this year'.... B)

My approach wasn't nearly as scientific.1.) I couldn't find any info on which position drew more heat away from the engine

2.) I tried 'em in both positions and could detect no difference.

3.) I figured I had even odds of getting it right, so I left 'em out.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their indicated temperature?
I didn't take notice to the temp gauge ,but moving the fairings outward doesnt change the amount or flow of air over the engine, just where it goes after it exits the engine bay.

This is true. In the outboard position the hot air from the engine is diverted further away from the rider. You would think that Yamaha might have mentioned that in the section of the manual that explains how to adjust them. :dribble:

I noticed a big difference when I moved mine out.
Are you guys sure that the outboard position directs warm air further away from the rider? Or, does it just route it away from your legs and re-direct it toward your torso and upper body?

Are you guys sure that the outboard position directs warm air further away from the rider? Or, does it just route it away from your legs and re-direct it toward your torso and upper body?
Yes, I am quite sure. The vents are way too low to affect anything above your knees.

If you look closely at how the panels are designed to swivel OUT and look at the opening to the radiators and engine bay just in front of them, it becomes very obvious that they are designed as DEFLECTORS. The mistake many make (including myself) is thinking that the vent action come from opening them outward to let heat in between the frame and the panel, but if that is what they intended them to do, the whole panel wouldn't need to swivel out like it does. The purpose of them is to deflect the hot air that comes out of the large vent in front of the panel off your legs when the panels are extended.

medium.jpg

Another thing I noticed, is that I think I know why your left ankle gets hot. If you look right in front of the shifter and oil filter, you can see a gap all the way through to the exhaust headers. This allows hot air to exit right onto your left foot/ankle area. If you look on the right side of the bike, you will see that same gap is blocked by the water pump and hoses. This explains why the left ankle gets warm. A simple deflector could easily be fabricated to push this air away from your ankle, and in fact, I saw some sort of toe deflectors shown here on a Canadian model that might do just that.

Here is a photo of the left side by the riders ankle. You can clearly see a clean shot to the exhaust headers.

large.jpg

Here is the right side, where you can see the water pump blocks the air flow.

large.jpg

I think it made a big difference. It takes about 1 minute to move them either way, probably the best way is to try both ways and stick with what works for you. All you need is a screwdriver.

I think it made a big difference. It takes about 1 minute to move them either way, probably the best way is to try both ways and stick with what works for you. All you need is a screwdriver.

BALONEY!!! It takes one minute to move them out, yes. But then you have to spend half an hour on the garage floor looking for the one you removed to examine the "screw" mechanism, and then you have to spend another hour driving to the dealer, asking the moron to please just look at the fiche, then drive home, and look at the empty hole and...well...you get the idea.