Almost an Iron Butt Saddle Sore...and I just don't get it.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR

Reaction score
Well after a journey of 802.4 miles (nearly 400 of those in the twisties) in a little over 16 straight hours I can honestly say...I don't get it. I don't get the enjoyment of spending that much time on a bike. I love all things moto and really do understand the "to each his own" mentality, but that much time on my FJR was torcherous. :blink:

I should back up and give you the story:

I listed my Ford truck on Ebay and was contacted by a buyer who offered to pay my expenses if I delivered the truck to him. He lived on HWY 36 18 miles east of Fortuna, CA. Now it just so happens I had been researching HWY 36 for a ride that my buddies and I take every year. This is one outstanding moto highway. 140 miles of two (and sometimes one) lane twisties. It starts near the Pacific Ocean and travels through everything from redwoods to oak groves. Anyways, I told the guy no problem.

So I loaded my FJR into a Uhaul trailer I rented one-way from Corona to Fortuna and headed out. I drove straight up Interstate 5 to Red Bluff and took HWY 36 west to the coast. By the time I reached Red Bluff it was well after midnite and pitch black. It took forever to wind my way down the highway. I reached Fortuna at 5:00 am and checked into the Holiday Inn Express. After a 6 hour nap I took a shower, checked out of my room and drove the 18 miles to the buyers house. By the time the truck sale transaction was complete and I unloaded my bike and suited up it was a little after noon. The buyer offered to return the trailer so I was able to ride straight from their house, east out HWY 36.

The ride was perfect. When I reached Red Bluff I opted to continue east to Reno (thinking of those who had just attended WFO) instead of riding down Interstate 5. So I continued east on HWY 36 to the 89 then the 70 and finally the 395 into Reno. I rode through Reno and stopped for fuel in Carson City at dark time (somewhere around 8:00 pm). After fueling up I rode straight down HWY 395 to Interstate 15 and arrived home just before 4:00 am.

I could have saved myself some pain and either stopped for sleep in Carson City or I could have bypassed the scenice route over to Reno and ridden straight down Interstate 5 and stopped overnight in Fresno...but I needed to get back to work the next morning and opted for the self inflicted near Iron Butt. Since I was going to ride it straight through it only made sense to add the scenice ride in for the remainder of the daylight hours.

In the end I can truly say...I don't see the pleasure in spending that much time in the saddle. Somewhere between 500 and 600 miles seemed about right. After that I was just putting in miles...and counting the hours until I was home. :dribble:

I know this was a bit of a ramble, but I wanted to share my experience...my hat's off to you 1000+ mile a day guys. I hope I never have to ride that much at one time... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
honest and i like that . never try the 1000 mile thing myself . next year going to give it a go .

I figure that most travel days can have me hanging around:

1. Yet another gas station

2. Yet another hotel room

3. Yet another tourist trap

4. Riding

The more I do of 4, the less I have to endure of the other 3. During a typical day, I work 9 hours and do various things for another 9 hours. That means an 18 hour day of riding isn't even taking away normal sleep patterns.

It ain't worth it....unless you have a reason. You miss too much. There are things out there that you fly by....day in....day out....with out ever knowing the reason. Stop and smell the roses. Watch that sun rise...or fall. Watch with your own two eyes. Feel that lonelyness sink in. That impregnable solitude that is your own. Feel it take over. Feel it take you back to where you want to be....and where you never have been. Let it consume you....make you want more. Make you want to live.

It ain't worth it....unless you have a reason. You miss too much. There are things out there that you fly by....day in....day out....with out ever knowing the reason. Stop and smell the roses. Watch that sun rise...or fall. Watch with your own two eyes. Feel that lonelyness sink in. That impregnable solitude that is your own. Feel it take over. Feel it take you back to where you want to be....and where you never have been. Let it consume you....make you want more. Make you want to live.
WTF? Odot made sense?

In the end I can truly say...I don't see the pleasure in spending that much time in the saddle. Somewhere between 500 and 600 miles seemed about right. After that I was just putting in miles...and counting the hours until I was home. :dribble:
I agree. The only IronButts I've ever done (SS1000, BB1500) were on the way home from long trips where milage and hours were the only things that counted anyway.

Lifes little wonders.....he's not blitzed all the time....& odot's a lot smarter then he wants anyone to know....& that you can take to the bank....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry renegade.....just started to remember my earlier years...when I rode to ride. Point in a general direction and that is the way I went. When it came to half time(time to back to work) I turned around. Nevermind me.....I was young once....

That's actually very poetic...in a manly kind of way of course.

LD for the sale of LD isn't my favorite thing either.

I have to have a goal, such as riding around a lake, to get to point B from A, or something. I mean slabbing to slab sucks, in fact it's a lot like going to the dentist.

But doing something to say you have, or doing it with a couple buds and going places you haven't gone can be fun.

Now I'm still a rally noob, but there's some shit there that has to be accomplished :D LD or not, and there's more to it than just slabbing your ass around. A whole lot more.

I'd still rather see the country by all the twisty roads, two lanes at a time, 500 miles at a time and stop and smell, well not really roses, but bacon, biscuits and gravy, as well as perhaps see some hooters along the way B)

Git-R-Dun.

Well, like everything else, it's not for everyone. It was never meant to be. If it's not fun, skip it.

As far as smelling the roses goes... I do 1 or 2 distance rallies a year and, over time, I've picked up 5 IBA certificates for various rides. On the other hand, I ride 9 to 10 months a year. Obviously, I'm not going like an Iron Butt rider all the time. I get my share of roses. The distance stuff is fun for me, though, so it's a nice way to add a new challenge to my riding.

And regarding the rallies -- those rallymasters are good. They've sent me down some incredible roads I never would have seen otherwise.

WTF? Odot made sense?
my work is done here. Nice knowing y'all. :huh:

LD for the sale of LD isn't my favorite thing either.
I have to have a goal, such as riding around a lake, to get to point B from A, or something. I mean slabbing to slab sucks, in fact it's a lot like going to the dentist.

But doing something to say you have, or doing it with a couple buds and going places you haven't gone can be fun.

Now I'm still a rally noob, but there's some shit there that has to be accomplished :D LD or not, and there's more to it than just slabbing your ass around. A whole lot more.

I'd still rather see the country by all the twisty roads, two lanes at a time, 500 miles at a time and stop and smell, well not really roses, but bacon, biscuits and gravy, as well as perhaps see some hooters along the way B)

Git-R-Dun.
I agree with you. I'm proud of the "acomplishment" but I will consider that box checked off for now. Besides, 500 or 600 miles is still more than most average riders will do in a month...at least the dress up and cruise the HD to the bar on Sunday afternoon guys.

Git-R-Dun...man, that statement fits into almost any situation doesn't it?

When I get my harley done...(again)...it's going to hit the bars...yes...thanks.