Another Ignition Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, bike is at Beach Yamaha and it seems that my Western Service Contract (3rd party warranty) will cover it or most of it. The part is being airmailed out today from the East Coast. According to two yamaha service managers, there is no way to ensure key compatibility with the new lock. I did take the key code with me and the service manager did call Yamaha. It seems that Axeman just got lucky on the key match. As to the 2007 part, I did not see this post prior to getting out the door or I would have done so. I have requested the part back and will provide pictures.
As to the NHTSA complaint, I filed one this morning with all the details that I had at the time. Like Don has said, I am not trying to bash Yamaha, but instead trying to warn forum members about this problem. Someone will get injured as a result of this. It just hasn't happened yet. Yamaha should do a service update or a recall in my opinion. They will protect themselves in the long run.
Yamaha PAID to have the new ignition switch keyed to my old key. This makes a whole lot more sense than rekeying everything else (seat,bags,gas tank,trunk)

I also filed a complaint when my switch went south. It was not to knock Yamaha or my dealer in any way, they did every thing they could to see that my bike got repaired. It was just a the thing that when speaking with the Yamaha customer rep some how I got the impression that the rep I was talking to had honestly not heard of the ignition switch problems and he couldn't look for other failures because their data base would not categorize complaints by failure type.

Filing with NHTSA seems to be the best resource to let Yamaha know that they have issues, and not just a one off failure. Once Yamaha knows they have an issue they do have a very impressive track record for taking responsibility and getting the issue fixed.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.