Any Boston area riders?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzzzz

Reaction score
I just took a new position with EMC that will have me outside Boston (I think Milford was mentioned) for two months of training. They're offering to fly me up and will provide access to a shared rental car, but I'm thinking about packing light and just riding up. I've heard horror stories about Boston traffic, the Big Dig, and crazy drivers, but I imagine it's probably the same as pretty much any big city.

Anything in particular to watch out for above and beyond the usual "every cager is out to kill me" paranoia?

Search in Members for speedfreak, he works at EMC. Tell him that Alan sent ya.

Breaking in Bill's '05 at the top of Mt. Washington (note the dealers plate, and also note that Mt. Washington is a dramatic ride)

DSCN6505s.jpg

Bill has since moved on to a later model FJR 'cause he couldn't take the heat.

No matter what they have told you about Boston traffic, let me reassure you that is actually is much worse :fie:

Ping me when you are in the area and see if we can hook up!

Alan

Go west young man, the farther you get from the beltway the better for riding. let us know when you'rr ready to ride. There are quite a few people in the area on this and other forums that like to organize small group rides.

I've ridden through and around Boston alot and its no worse than any other large city. I think if you talk to any rider from NY, LA, SF, CH, DC, etc....they will all claim theirs is the worst for traffic. It is what it is.....The only thing you really have to watch out for in Boston is huge chunks of non-spec concrete falling down from the ceilings of the big dig. :rolleyes:

Jazzzzz, EMC headquarters is in Hopkinton, MA, just off Rt. 495 (42 South St). This area is fairly open and it is generally easy to drive around. Speedfreak is an engineer at the Hopkinton location. The Milford training center is roughly 7 miles from Hopkinton, in a more congested area, but it is so far away from Boston and Framingham that you will not have any real city traffic to deal with.

There are a lot of interesting things to see and do in Boston but not from a motorcycle. Consider public transportation for sure. Going north/west will take you to the Quabbin Reservoir, a very nice area. From there go north to southern NH and VT where the real riding will begin.

Thanks ionbeam - I appreciate the info. I had hoped to avoid taking the bike through the city if it could be avoided, and from your description it can. I will have access to a cage if I want to head into town for a weekend afternoon. Plans are still fluid at this point - if I can't make a deal with EMC on the travel arrangements I may wind up leaving the FJR here in Ohio. I did find a nice Husky SM610 supermoto on Craigslist for sale in Groton, though - could be fun to buy + ride while I'm there, if I can sucker my wife into it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out for Mass drivers as they will pull out in front of you big time, every time. That's the only problem I have had and it is state wide. Seems they train them that way. That's why they call them Massholes. I know you didn't want to hear about driving generalizations but I feel it is so bad I had to share.

Awww come on I commute from Plymouth to Waltham almost every day. Using rt 3, 128, sometimes 495 and 24 depends on my mood and time of day, just watch out like you normally would, and if you're a GPS'er then get a current map! Things have changed so to speak

Keep us in the loop if you make the deal, there are some great web forum's and area's to ride (western mass/anywhere north)

plenty here to show you around.

For sure the driving can be nasty around Boston, but there are some nice roads to be found not too far from the city limits.

Within 3 hours ride you can enjoy some of the best roads and scenery in the Northeast.

And yes you must watch out for the Maasholes. They're everywhere. I passed a woman today on the 2 lane ramp from 128 N to 95N in Peabody(by the stinky landfill- most cagers don't know that) and she was reading a book on the steering wheel- traveling 50mph. I gave a good healthy blast from the Magnum Blasters as I rolled by quickly. She looked annoyed that I would interrupt her reading.

I see shit like that all the time around here. Idiots. But don't let that discourage you. Just keep your senses sharp riding around here during the commuting hours.

Alright, anyone have advice on packing clothes/personal effects/etc. for 2 months along with a laptop and assorted electronics? I've never loaded down a bike with two month's worth of crap before.

I'm thinking I either pack enough clothing for two weeks at the office and ship the rest or buy when I get there (I've been looking for an excuse to clean out my wardrobe for the past couple of years anyway).

Alright, anyone have advice on packing clothes/personal effects/etc. for 2 months along with a laptop and assorted electronics? I've never loaded down a bike with two month's worth of crap before.
I'm thinking I either pack enough clothing for two weeks at the office and ship the rest or buy when I get there (I've been looking for an excuse to clean out my wardrobe for the past couple of years anyway).

Take what you need and ship the rest UPS and ship it back when your done. PS I'am in western mass so if you need a guide out in this area send me a Personal E-mail as stated Hopkinton,MA is not that bad. I can't believe I,am saying there is something good about this state. Anyway you will enjoy the riding anywhere west/north/ of the Boston area. :rolleyes:

Cart

Well I guess I need no introduction as Alan has done it for me :)

I have been off the boards awhile, (busy working at EMC). And I am buying a house in Hopedale.

Riding here in Hopkinton, Milford, area is fine. Framingham is a bit chaotic but the outskirts are fine. Plenty of backroads to ride as well.

We should touch base so we can hook up both on EMC and on the FJR.

-=SF=-

aka -=Bill=-

Regarding clothes, you're about 15 minutes from the Wrentham Outlet Mall where you can buy anything you want. I say bring your favorite stuff and buy the rest. Leave the room in your saddlebags for riding gear. Oh yeah, bring some rain gear and some warm clothes - it never seems to warm up much and rains all the frickin time, especially weekends, LIKE TODAY! :angry2:

I just relocated up here from DC/NoVA and miss the weather bad, but I have to admit the riding out here is pretty damn nice when you get the chance. I'm looking forward to hooking up with some of the boarders here this summer for a ride. I enjoy riding down by The Cape or cruising into Vermont, Maine, etc. There are just so many beautiful places to go around here within a day's ride.

Oh yeah, as for Boston, they suck. And to echo the comment about GPS - the things don't work too well in the city. Use the T. It's much easier.

Hope to see you all out this summer.