Any finishing mower experts out there?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
My Woods 72" underbelly mower (front PTO driven) is finally going to have to be retired. I got almost 20 years out of it mowing my 2.8 acre lawn. Thinking of going to a rear PTO finishing mower and wondering if there are any folks here with some experience in this field.

I have a Case-International 4x4 25hp diesel tractor. HP rating just barely in range of this 84" beast (in my research so far, I have favored this one, but.. maybe suggestions from other possible users ? Don't wanna go much over the 4K price range, this Woods PRD8400 lists for $5K but I can land it for $3450 from a local dealer with a receive date of 7/8/13

-------------------------------------------

PRD8400 Rear Mount Specifications
PRD7200.jpg

Woods premium rear discharge finish mowers, the medium-duty PRD-series, are engineered for maximum performance and efficiency. The PRD-Series mowers are designed to leave a smooth cut, with uniform distribution of clippings, on all types of grass, including tough southern varieties. A strong 8-gauge steel deck withstands commercial-duty workloads and our powerful 60 hp gearbox has a five-year limited warranty.

Compare all of the features of the Woods premium mowers, listed below, to any competitor's premium series and you'll find nobody comes close to offering all of these great features on their mowers. The PRD is truly a superior design to other finish mowers on the market.

The PRD-Series mowers are available in 5 foot, 6 foot, and 7 foot cutting widths, in colors to match major tractor brands, including orange, green, blue, and two reds. Combine our engineering excellence and extra durable parts and you’ve got years of worry-free performance. See for yourself why Woods’ premium finish mower is the ultimate “Tested. Proven. Unbeatable.” rear discharge mower on the market.

Return To Finish Mowers
Cutting Width 84" Overall Width 86" Weight 830 lbs Mowing Height 1" to 4.25" Deck Material Thickness 8 gauge Side Skirt 8- gauge x 5.375" deep (with .536" dia. skid rod bumper) Hitch/Quick-Hitch Compatible cat. 1/yes Gearbox hp Rating 60 hp Tractor Horsepower 25 - 40 hp Blade Tip Speed 17,900 fpm Blade Overlap 2" Blade Spindle Bearings tapered rolled, greaseable Blade Sheave cast-iron with taper-lock bushing Blade Crossbar yes Caster Wheels 4" x 10" solid, 4" x 10" pneumatic Tractor PTO Speed 540 rpm Driveline Size cat. 3 Belt B-section Kevlar® with clutching cover Belt Adjustment spring-loaded idler Mower Warranty 1-year Gearbox Warranty 6-years limited Spindle Warranty 3-years limited
Note: Specifications may vary depending on tractor.

Product Brochure

Product Manual

View All Product Manuals

You might need to talk you your BMW buddies about this one...but this forum is so full of old people people with lots of experience, that someone may know something about this...maybe Carver knows something...Carver???

:D

My Woods 72" underbelly mower (front PTO driven) is finally going to have to be retired. I got almost 20 years out of it mowing my 2.8 acre lawn. Thinking of going to a rear PTO finishing mower and wondering if there are any folks here with some experience in this field.

I have a Case-International 4x4 25hp diesel tractor. HP rating just barely in range of this 84" beast (in my research so far, I have favored this one, but.. maybe suggestions from other possible users ? Don't wanna go much over the 4K price range, this Woods PRD8400 lists for $5K but I can land it for $3450 from a local dealer with a receive date of 7/8/13

-------------------------------------------

PRD8400 Rear Mount Specifications
PRD7200.jpg

Woods premium rear discharge finish mowers, the medium-duty PRD-series, are engineered for maximum performance and efficiency. The PRD-Series mowers are designed to leave a smooth cut, with uniform distribution of clippings, on all types of grass, including tough southern varieties. A strong 8-gauge steel deck withstands commercial-duty workloads and our powerful 60 hp gearbox has a five-year limited warranty.

Compare all of the features of the Woods premium mowers, listed below, to any competitor's premium series and you'll find nobody comes close to offering all of these great features on their mowers. The PRD is truly a superior design to other finish mowers on the market.

The PRD-Series mowers are available in 5 foot, 6 foot, and 7 foot cutting widths, in colors to match major tractor brands, including orange, green, blue, and two reds. Combine our engineering excellence and extra durable parts and you’ve got years of worry-free performance. See for yourself why Woods’ premium finish mower is the ultimate “Tested. Proven. Unbeatable.” rear discharge mower on the market.

Return To Finish Mowers

Cutting Width 84" Overall Width 86" Weight 830 lbs Mowing Height 1" to 4.25" Deck Material Thickness 8 gauge Side Skirt 8- gauge x 5.375" deep (with .536" dia. skid rod bumper) Hitch/Quick-Hitch Compatible cat. 1/yes Gearbox hp Rating 60 hp Tractor Horsepower 25 - 40 hp Blade Tip Speed 17,900 fpm Blade Overlap 2" Blade Spindle Bearings tapered rolled, greaseable Blade Sheave cast-iron with taper-lock bushing Blade Crossbar yes Caster Wheels 4" x 10" solid, 4" x 10" pneumatic Tractor PTO Speed 540 rpm Driveline Size cat. 3 Belt B-section Kevlar® with clutching cover Belt Adjustment spring-loaded idler Mower Warranty 1-year Gearbox Warranty 6-years limited Spindle Warranty 3-years limited

Note: Specifications may vary depending on tractor.

Product Brochure

Product Manual

View All Product Manuals
I have that 72" model by Woods, works great. Definitely don't want to stand behind it, it throws the grass out the back like no tomorrow. Does a very nice clean cut. I mow about 2 acres, some on a hill.

I have a LS 30 hp tractor and it spins it just fine. IIRC I paid about $2800. But I also bought the tractor at the same time.

It is very stout and heavy. Without the front loader on the front of the tractor gets pretty light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that 72" model by Woods, works great. Definitely don't want to stand behind it, it throws the grass out the back like no tomorrow. Does a very nice clean cut. I mow about 2 acres, some on a hill.
I have a LS 30 hp tractor and it spins it just fine. IIRC I paid about $2800. But I also bought the tractor at the same time.

It is very stout and heavy. Without the front loader on the front of the tractor gets pretty light.
Wow, good input. My dealer has the 72" on the lot but I already cut with a 72 so I wanted to go up a little (for less time mowing and more time riding-my toyz!)

So it throws grass out the ass end like a monster huh?. Do you have the chain kit on it? I was going to add this later if I felt too much discharge or length of. I don't want the chain links to get all balled up with grass either?

My folks have a 72" rear PTO finish mower. Dad has a Kubota L-series diesel tractor - 30hp 3cyl. I'm not sure on the brand of the finish mower he has - it might be a Woods, I'll have to check It works well, leaves a nice clean and even cut.

It took me a little to adjust to running it as far as watching the turns - mowed a couple of pine tree saplings down because I cut the wheel and didn't allow for the swing of the mower behind the tractor - opps.

Dad keeps the front bucket on the tractor, and that adds one more thing for you to keep track of if you maneuvering around trees and other obstacles. I usually drop the bucket off, as it has built in legs and is designed as a quick detach setup - it only take about 5 minutes to disconnect and drive away.

Lately, my brother and I have been taking care of the yard for them. Typically, I'll use the zero turn for everything, then run the trimmer around what ever needs touched up. With all the small trees and bushes they have, we end up running the zero turn around everything anyways, so it's just less hassle to mow everything with one machine.

Dad has mentioned selling the finish mower; I can find out if you're interested.

Only downside of a rear pto mower is that it's easier to hit stuff with it. On the plus side; easy on off, and all the dust is behind you. Mine is a 48" Kubota with about 25 years on it. Got about 1.3 acres o' grass.

Wow, good input. My dealer has the 72" on the lot but I already cut with a 72 so I wanted to go up a little (for less time mowing and more time riding-my toyz!)

So it throws grass out the ass end like a monster huh?. Do you have the chain kit on it? I was going to add this later if I felt too much discharge or length of. I don't want the chain links to get all balled up with grass either?
Mine came with the chain kit. I thought that was standard with it. I have it set to mow at 3-1/2". They chain links won't interfere with anything.

One other thing, it really mows wet grass really well and does not clog up. The blades create so much suction underneath it, that it will straighten up the grass as it cuts it.

My folks have a 72" rear PTO finish mower. Dad has a Kubota L-series diesel tractor - 30hp 3cyl. I'm not sure on the brand of the finish mower he has - it might be a Woods, I'll have to check It works well, leaves a nice clean and even cut.
It took me a little to adjust to running it as far as watching the turns - mowed a couple of pine tree saplings down because I cut the wheel and didn't allow for the swing of the mower behind the tractor - opps.

Dad keeps the front bucket on the tractor, and that adds one more thing for you to keep track of if you maneuvering around trees and other obstacles. I usually drop the bucket off, as it has built in legs and is designed as a quick detach setup - it only take about 5 minutes to disconnect and drive away.

Lately, my brother and I have been taking care of the yard for them. Typically, I'll use the zero turn for everything, then run the trimmer around what ever needs touched up. With all the small trees and bushes they have, we end up running the zero turn around everything anyways, so it's just less hassle to mow everything with one machine.

Dad has mentioned selling the finish mower; I can find out if you're interested.
It took me a couple of times to get use to the swing too. I went from a mid mount to the Woods. But the woods cuts grass so much better.

I'm very impressed with my friends here on a bike forum with their vast knowledge on this :)

So---- No, the Chain Kit is optional at least with the Woods brand. Recommended if you mow with people within any reach of possible projected discharge. I don't have spectators/on-lookers and I thought they may clog up with clippings so I would order that Kit on a "if need" basis.

And--- I was wondering about the whipping around trees etc. With the power steering it may be a problem till I get use to it. I see a few close calls especially since this will be 84" and I will have to learn what that equals to the tractors width (wheels). Was thinking of putting on a couple of thin fiberglass whips on the front angled down to show the width (swath). This is good for straight on mowing of course and I still would have to learn on the swings/turns. Could be tricky especially for the first few mows. Yikes!

So no other brand favorites, seems like Woods is good?

I researched this pretty hard last year for my Massey Fergusson. I have 32.5 HP at the crank and 26.5 PTO HP on a 4wd with front end loader. I was evenly split on the Woods and the Land Pride but I was going to stick with the 72 inch rear discharge. I think that between the Woods and the Land Pride the determining factor would be the closest/best dealer. Either way, you cannot go wrong. Two of my co-workers went with the Land Pride, one behind a John Deere the other behind a Massey. Both were extremely pleased.

My decision? I bought a Zero Turn Hustler Fastrack Super Duty 54" with a Kawasaki V-twin. The easier maneuverability provided a much faster cut time than the rear mount finishing mower. The lighter weight means I can cut when the yard is still soft without making ruts. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Holy crap! This is like my buddies talking golf - a whole new world!

I have a Troy Built, 21" Briggs & Stratton, mulcher - now I have 'mower envy'.
smile.png

Al.

KJ, just my opinion (and you know best for your situation), but sometimes bigger might not be better. But, you are used to a 72 so a step up to 84 might not be bad, how much difference in weight hanging out there....... more to watch out for and whatever you have to go around...... especially making the change from a belly mount to a dragger. Good luck in making the choice.

I used a 72 inch Woods rear PTO for a few years to mow about 5 acres. It worked very well but being at the back of the tractor the rear wheels rolled the grass down some before it got mowed. If I was going to spend three or four thousand on a mower today I would look seriously at the dedicated zero turn mowers. They are fast and easy to use.

I agree about the Zero Turn, that was ultimately the decision I made myself. However, I was at $6900 before tax for the 54 Hustler Super Duty. The comparable Scag Turf Tiger 52 inch was $8200. It was also 300 pounds heavier.

I weighed my options, considered the efficiency of my diesel tractor vs. the gas burning mower, considered another machine to maintain, in short, tried to justify using the tractor. In the end, I use the tractor for the bush hog and lots of other things, but I use the ZTR for the grass. It is also easier to haul to any other yard that needs cutting. With the tractor I need the Gooseneck trailer, with the ZTR my smaller utility trailer is perfect and so much easier.

I agree about the Zero Turn, that was ultimately the decision I made myself. However, I was at $6900 before tax for the 54 Hustler Super Duty. The comparable Scag Turf Tiger 52 inch was $8200. It was also 300 pounds heavier.
I weighed my options, considered the efficiency of my diesel tractor vs. the gas burning mower, considered another machine to maintain, in short, tried to justify using the tractor. In the end, I use the tractor for the bush hog and lots of other things, but I use the ZTR for the grass. It is also easier to haul to any other yard that needs cutting. With the tractor I need the Gooseneck trailer, with the ZTR my smaller utility trailer is perfect and so much easier.
I like the power steering (wheel) better than the sticks. I own a bobcat skid loader also, for that it's perfect but I don't wanna have my hands on the sticks with all that riding. Just my preference especially for long/big yards. Now for a lot w many trees or smaller area's?... hell yeah, ZTR all the way!

I used a 72 inch Woods rear PTO for a few years to mow about 5 acres. It worked very well but being at the back of the tractor the rear wheels rolled the grass down some before it got mowed. If I was going to spend three or four thousand on a mower today I would look seriously at the dedicated zero turn mowers. They are fast and easy to use.
Dealer swears there is so much "lift" in the mower that it sucks the grass straight up and the wheel pouncing effect is negated. One of my 1st questions was about this.

ZTR's are nice but w my diesel tractor the efficiency is unbelievable. It's a Case/International with a 25hp (3cyl Mitsubishi Diesel). I literally get 5-6 mow jobs from the 5.5gal tank. My lot size is 4acres but minus the house, drive and some back wooded area I mow just under 3 acres. My neighbors ZTR's can't come close to this efficiency (but they are gas jobs, probably the diesel ZTR's are closer to my stats).

Just to back up your comments on efficiency, here is my experience. My Massey Fergusson will burn less than 1 gallon per hour when bush hogging (in 2wd) with a 5 foot bush hog. My 54 inch ZTR uses about 2 gallons per hour. There are of course other back and forth trade offs.

Have you checked into the Land Pride? It is a first class mower quite on par with the Woods. As a bonus, the Land Pride comes in colors to match your tractor brand!

After thinking on this more (mower?) I remember that both sets of Grandparents had Woods mowers. One was a 54 inch behind a Kubota, the other was a 60 inch belly under a John Deere. Both of those are still functional even though the Grandparents are long since gone. I cannot think of a single good reason not to run a Woods but I will say that it sounds like you are getting on the edge of your tractor's HP capability with a mower that big.

My input: Plant some fast growing harvestable trees and stop all the brutal mowing. Then claim you are a tree farm and save on your property taxes too. Unless you are charging people $100 each to chase little white balls around, what good is having so much damn mowed grass that you need one of these monster mowers?

I've got about a 1/2 acre of mowed grass (rest of our lot is wooded) and I can cut it in about a 1/2 an hour with my little John Deere lawn tractor and that is still too much, IMO. Wife likes the grass. I'd let it go to hay if I coould.

YMMV

My input: Plant some fast growing harvestable trees and stop all the brutal mowing. Then claim you are a tree farm and save on your property taxes too. Unless you are charging people $100 each to chase little white balls around, what good is having so much damn mowed grass that you need one of these monster mowers?
I've got about a 1/2 acre of mowed grass (rest of our lot is wooded) and I can cut it in about a 1/2 an hour with my little John Deere lawn tractor and that is still too much, IMO. Wife likes the grass. I'd let it go to hay if I coould.

YMMV
The way my house sits back and on a corner lot also, the lead-up grass makes up some of the curb appeal one might say. With a large swath mower it's not all that bad and if I go up to 84" it should be even a little shorter. It's now starting to take form of a hay field as it's been now almost 3 weeks of non-cut down time.

wow a 72" underbelly! no wonder he was hurting on the rides
sick.gif
Now that's a new one, I'll have to tell g/f about this one! ...Within my friends she has been taking a lot of riff as the Dr. Kuttnutt was ALL her idea. She will be releaved that it's now the tractors fault ;)