Autocom Install Questions/advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Got my Active 7 kit last night. Gotta question on which line to tap into in the rear and how to do it - I have ABS (solder/shrink wrap/elec tape)? Also if anyone has any advice on how to stick all that crap into a Shoei RF 1000 - actually 2 x Shoei RF 1000 - helmet I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience. I got the kit from another member of this board and he suggests taking a soldering iron and melting a trench into the helmet for the boom mike and the bundle of wires that reside inside the helmet (junction of all wires). I gotta admit, that sounds like it would provide a nice smooth fit, but I'm a little leary of breaking the integrity of the helmet. I don't mind whacking away at the fairings to install R&G sliders, but our helmets are another issue. Any comments on that would be appreciated. He provided a 15% discount on the kit and I'm sure he'd do the same for other forum members - if you want his name and number email me and I'll provide.

I just put a set of speakers in my Shoei tonigh sounds great!... the front half of the inner helmet pulls right out leaving the helmet proper insitu. It is hard to pull it out but out it comes and you wont believe how simple it goes back together. Just take your time and when you are positioning the speakers get it right the first time. My helmet is a firm fit so there was not much room in there I had to remove some of the plastic and foam to sit The speakers in flush. If you take your time you will be fine. Good Luck!

Thug - don't mean to sound dumb, but when you say,

the front half of the inner helmet pulls right out leaving the helmet proper insitu
I'm assuming you mean the padding part of the helmet and not the rigid part??? :blink:

Jim I originally had my Autocom stuck under the seat and powered off the tail light hot lead (I forget the wire color) but I moved it into the tank bag (Powerlet feedthrough). Not a lot of extra wire back by the lights. Tight working space.

Fitting my Arai Quantum was a piece of cake. Don't know about the Shoei's.

Thanks Penforhire. I've thought of running it through my bag to my powerlet outlet too, but decided I might not always want to ride with the bag. Think I'll start with it in the back and just hide the leads under the seats when not in use. From reading the instructions it looks like with most helmets you shove the speakers under some material. The RF-1000 actually has empty space where your ears go - not a bad idea when you have prodigious ears! I'm going to stick some velcro in there and then fiddle with them until they're in the right place. I'll see what they feel like when done, then may even glue some fabric over them to protect them. Thanks again.

You need about 600 Volts to stop the heart. Will not even feel 12V but, you should make sure not to have the power on when working on the wires or you might accidentally touch the frame, make some fire works, and blow a fuse. Now touch it to your tongue and you can get a snap out of that. :eek:

I prefer to carefully slit the insulation on the wire and pull it off a short section, wrap the new wire around the main wire and solder. Finish off with electrical tape. Go looking in the electrical supply stores for a good premium tape as the stuff from Home Depot or WalMart looses its grip in warm weather and does not seal up against the moisture as well.

JIMLOR

Na mate the front part of the polystyrene inside the helmet there are two parts a front portion and a rear portion...just manipulate the front portion out it takes a bit of pulling (as I am used to that!) it eventually came out no worries and goes back in just as you found it.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
NHFRKLS and Thug - thanks for your posts. I got some silicon tape at Radio Shack that I'll give a try. I do intend to solder the connection. I started playing with the helmet and can see where the front part of the interior will pull out. Wanted to get this done this weekend, but between a buddies retirement on Sat and catching up on chores around the house on Sunday I didn't get to it. Did get "Twist of the Wrist II" however - good book! Thanks again.

If you don't want all those wires in there, get rid of the speakers and get molded ear plugs. Still have the boom to deal with, but at least not that bug bundle of wires. To me, the speakers were uncomfy pressed agains my ears and too much wind noise mixed in with the sound. Molded ear plugs is the way to go.

BTW...I did just put the boom mic in the front without an burning or removing of any inner pieces.

I'll try out the speakers to start with, but if they aren't comfortable - or if they don't let my taxi cab ears sit up straight, I'll look to the earplug/speakers. I'm not going to burn trenches into my helmet either. Since I have two to do, I'll experiment on my install and then do it right for my wife! Thanks.

Life has gotten in the way the past couple of weeks, but I was able to install the bike part of the AutoCom last night. Pretty straightforward - I velcroed it into the center of the rear (also used the strap) under the pax seat. Stripped a portion of the blue wire and soldered the autocom wire into it - tight workspace, but not really a problem. Then ran the other wire mostly under the seats, up past the right side of the tank, and through the hole in the center (over the radiator) and on into the battery (-) terminal. Hooked the earphones and mike up, turned on the bike, and lo and behold it worked! Will work on installing the headsets into our helmets tonight - at least I can do this in the air conditioning! I'm just concerned on what to do with all the doggone wires with this thing. Will probably sew a couple of velcro connectors onto our jackets so we can keep the wires from flapping around in the breeze - I'm not a fan of loose gear. Will post the rest of the story...