Back on the FJR, Almost

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully1300

Reaction score
Well, I took a couple years off my '06 FJR and traded it in for an '09 FZ1. My logic: Since I no longer had a passenger due to my wife purchasing her own FZ1 (another story for another time), I wanted to shed the 200+/- lbs to get a bike very similar in stance to the feejer while increasing the fun factor on the twisty roads. I believe I had it in the FZ1 and to be honest, enjoyed the heck out of it for the first year I had it. The nimbleness and power of the FZ1 was/is awesome. I did all the mods to give it that low end grunt and I truly believed I had achieved the perfect mix of sport and touring. Well, a few long trips later, me, my knees and my arse really missed my FJR. I am definitely not a trailer guy and the only way I know to get to good destination riding is to ride there. As you all know, this is where the FJR is the perfect choice. Yes, the FZ1 steps up the sport side of the equation but to be honest, the fatigue endured once you get to where you're going brings your skill level down a smidge anyway. The luggage capacity isn't even close and to be honest, for street riding, there isn't a huge difference (for me anyway) between the sportyness of the FZ1 compared to the FJR.

Fast forward to last week. I purchased an '08 FJR from "greenman" who had all the farkles that I had on my '06 plus some. He has meticulously cared for his FJR and I will be the grateful recipient of such a mint ride. I fly out this Friday to pick it up from him and ride back home to Indiana. I cannot wait. And I cannot wait to mix it up with you all back here on the forum either. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm!

Welcome back Sully. My Feej still puts a smile on my face every time I swing a leg over the saddle - amazing bikes!

Hey, Sully,

I hear you. I have both too and did all my touring over the past 9.5 years on the FZ1 (tail pack and tank bag) until I added the 'o6 FJR this past April. I enjoy both bikes for what they bring to the table. In fact I just took a nostalgic two-hour blast the other day on the Fizzy, and it was a gas, but I'm spoiled now by the protection, capacity and ability of the FJR on those long touring days.

Congrats on your new addition to the stable.

So... when ya decide to sell the FZ1... keep the mirrors. Then you can keep some of the DNA of your beloved Fizzie with you on the FJR. Best of both worlds!!!

Gary

darksider #44

Congrats on the almost new [to you] bike!

FJRs do so many things well that it's hard to leave the family, welcome back! :)

--G

I also owned an FZ1 before my FJR, I wish I would have kept it along with the Feej. Both are awesome bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm heading that direction. Have had the FZ1 for a year; heading to Santa Rosa tomorrow to pick up my new (to me) 05 FJR.

Congrats! Welcome back. Once assimilated, there is no leaving.
+1! And my left thumb would get really frickin bored and lonely if I went to another bike.

I find it hard to believe that the FJR is hands down, far and away the best looking S-T bike available.