Back To The Great Lakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my long time riding partner and I ventured back to the Great Lakes. We had circumnavigated the 5 ponds back in 1997, but it had been a while. We had a more restrictive time schedule for this trip but we still wanted a 'goal' to shoot for, and that ended up being the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point in Michigan. It was a good trip overall, although we were plagued by really hot and humid weather to start and we followed a low pressure front and its rain all the way back. Still, it was great to get out and just enjoy the open road for a while again.

I put together a complete ride write up on my web site here: clicky

Here are a few photos (for those who would rather not take the time to read the words ;) ):

IMG_5228.JPG

Ogdensburg_Bridge.JPG

Tim_and_the_Bell.JPG

Bikes_at_Museum.JPG

Bob_at_Lake_Superior.JPG

Tim_and_Bob_-_boots_in_Lake_Superior.JPG

Tim_in_Lake_Michigan.JPG

Tim_walking_on_water.JPG

Riding_-_Tim.JPG

Port_Huron_2.JPG

Bob_s_helmet.JPG

Tim_Riding.JPG

Bob_and_Tim_at_the_Opera_House.JPG

Yea, one of the silly goals of this trip was to walk into as many of the Great Lakes as possible. It would have been great to dip the front wheel of the motorcycles in each, but that can be problematic, so we opted for a stroll with the waterproof boots.

Happy to report that my 7 year old Oxtar boots (GoreTex lined, Sno-seal treated leather) are still waterproof. They were really tested on this trip, not just from walking in the lakes, but we rode through some pretty wet weather.