Base Stickers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFFJR

Reaction score
For all you mililtary/civil service types -- where did you put your base sticker? The PO put his on the plastic right under the tank. Not a bad spot, but made it hard to get the old stickers off. I still have to get goo-gone to get rid of the glue left behind...

Just thought I'd check here for suggestions before putting my stickers on. Pics would be great! Thanks!

AF stopped using them? Are they bringing them back? What I did with my last bike is removed the reflector and made a small aluminum plate on the bike's left side front fork.

Our office uses restricted parking areas. I put the sticker on a backing pience and then insert the backing piece into a clear holder of some kind. I then slide it between the dash and the windshield as I enter the gate.

I made an aluminium plate that is a rectangle the same size as the stickers but with a extra bump in one corner with a hole in it.....pulled out a reflector bolt on the front fork and stuck it behind the reflector....Works great, doesn't stick to the bike. Turns with the front wheel.....PM me if you'd like pics.

Front fork tube. Our post requires it to be on the front fork tube or the windshield, and I am NOT putting it on the windshield.

Alexi

There are a huge number of "Inspection Plates" made for the poser cruiser crowd, it provides a clean way to display the inspection sticker. One style similar to what Big Shasta describes:

62-1055Lg.jpg

Most AFB don't require stickers any more for base entry. There is a 100% ID check making decals obsolete, even on Army posts most gate centuries just check my ID and let me on.

There are a huge number of "Inspection Plates" made for the poser cruiser crowd, it provides a clean way to display the inspection sticker. One style similar to what Big Shasta describes:
62-1055Lg.jpg
They aren't even close to the right format for military stickers....too square, but that is similar to what I made for my sticker...just no angle to the part with the hole, comes off straight so the plate sits parallel with my front tire.

For all you mililtary/civil service types -- where did you put your base sticker? The PO put his on the plastic right under the tank. Not a bad spot, but made it hard to get the old stickers off. I still have to get goo-gone to get rid of the glue left behind...
Just thought I'd check here for suggestions before putting my stickers on. Pics would be great! Thanks!
I made a plate the same size as the stickers and put it the front of the N/Line dash using velcro. It can be seen through the windshield. Although not all Air Force bases require the stickers any more, including McChord where I am, some of the ones I go to on occasion do. So I keep it up to date on all of my vehicles. Also, some bases are going back to the stickers, including mine. We are going back to using the stickers in Jan 2010.

USAF had an initiative in the last couple of years for no more stickers, but I understand not all services are going that way and they still issue them around the the NCR (National Capital Region - Pentagon, Bolling AFB, Andrews AFB, etc). Some bases (like Ft Belvoir) send all non-sticker folks to one gate, so you need to have one to use all the gates. Like others I've got mine mounted on the lower fork tube, below the Va State inspection sticker.

USAF had an initiative in the last couple of years for no more stickers, but I understand not all services are going that way and they still issue them around the the NCR (National Capital Region - Pentagon, Bolling AFB, Andrews AFB, etc). Some bases (like Ft Belvoir) send all non-sticker folks to one gate, so you need to have one to use all the gates. Like others I've got mine mounted on the lower fork tube, below the Va State inspection sticker.
Exactly -- I'm on Hickam AFB and Joint Basing (combing geographically close bases), we are about to be a part of Pearl Harbor. The Navy still requires stickers, so Hickam is going back to requiring them as well. The lower fork tube is a possibility as I had my Bandit's sticker there. Thanks for all the ideas!

I have a heat shield on my exhaust and I placed the sticker on that heat shield. It's not overly conspicuous (which I like) but easy enough to see when I pull up to the sentry. I always click it into neutral and point to the sticker with my left hand (just behind the heel of my left foot) and have had no issues. Well, just one issue. The last time I went for a renewal of the sticker the unfortunate young Marine that placed my sticker on burned his fingers. I thought it had been parked long enough to be cool, but alas it had not. The heat shield never gets hot enough to damage or discolor the sticker. And if I ever sell the bike I can either remove the shield or just scrape the sticker from it. If I happen to scratch that piece in the process...who cares, it was under $20 bucks.

Mine is on the lower left fork tube--had to trim it down slightly to fit, but I find that is where the security guards tend to look for them (at least on Navy bases).

Mine is on the lower left fork tube--had to trim it down slightly to fit, but I find that is where the security guards tend to look for them (at least on Navy bases).
Same here except the moron, excuse me, MA, didn't put it on correctly and I have to turn to the right so that the gate guard can see it correctly.

There are a lot of bases that require the Pass and Decal people to apply them to make sure they are applied in the correct position. On the other hand, it appears to depend on who you deal with and they are usually pretty cooperative when applying them to a motorcycle.

Same here except the moron, excuse me, MA, didn't put it on correctly and I have to turn to the right so that the gate guard can see it correctly.

There are a lot of bases that require the Pass and Decal people to apply them to make sure they are applied in the correct position. On the other hand, it appears to depend on who you deal with and they are usually pretty cooperative when applying them to a motorcycle.
Been in for 12 years and never had someone attempt to put it on any vehicle. Don't think the USAF does that...

I supposed I could put it on the fork (although the heat shield is a good idea). I'm not planning on selling the bike. Ever. Unless I get rich and buy a newer one. :rolleyes:

I also made a plate from thin stainless, cut it to be just larger than the stickers and drilled a hole in it.

Mounted it to the left fork reflector mount.

Sorry, but can't post pics while at sea.