Battery Issue ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF99

Reaction score
After a week long trip, I let the bike sit in the garage for several weeks, foolishly, without the tender hooked up. It was dead when I tried to start it. ( I am overdue for a new battery.) After charging it up, it would crank but not catch and start. I hooked up jumper cables to my car, still cranks well, but no start. Is there anything that might have gotten "hung up" when the power died, or any suggestions that might help me avoid trailering to the shop?? I am going to get a new battery and install it but if the jumper cables from the car didn't make it go I doubt the new battery will be the answer. <_<

You may have the dreaded non-start issue. A lot of speculation about the cause including an ailing battery, lined up piston rings, fuel pump issues, and computer.

Having experienced it a couple times myself it's one you need a fresh battery and just hold the starter down until it finally starts back up. Maybe go from no throttle to full throttle every 2 or 3 seconds. It eventually lights. I had it happen once where 60 second of starting finally lit it and another time where I had to recharge the battery once and probably 2 minutes of cranking.

You may have the dreaded non-start issue. A lot of speculation about the cause including an ailing battery, lined up piston rings, fuel pump issues, and computer.
Having experienced it a couple times myself it's one you need a fresh battery and just hold the starter down until it finally starts back up. Maybe go from no throttle to full throttle every 2 or 3 seconds. It eventually lights. I had it happen once where 60 second of starting finally lit it and another time where I had to recharge the battery once and probably 2 minutes of cranking.
Thanks a lot. The no-throttle/full throttle eventually caught it and the bike fired up. I had it hooked up to the jumper cables and it teased a couple of times then went. I'm heading out for a new battery in the morning.

I appreciate the input. It was good to know that someone else had had the same problem, and resolved it.

Paul