Bike Cradle VS Trailers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Reaction score
Since I can't seem to get my wife to ride on the back of any bike, AND since she won't learn to ride a bike of her own... I'm looking for creative solutions for us travelling with biker friends on longer trips. :rolleyes:

Anyone know anything about this product... https://www.abiketow.com/index.html

The cost is $600 + shipping. If it is relatively "safe" for my FJR it would solve much of my problem. When I'm riding with other bikes, the bike cradle would be stored in the car's trunk driven by my wife (so there wouldn't be an empty trailer scarin the s-t out of my wife). I could ride the bike for part of the day, then pull out the cradle, load the bike and share some "quality" time with my wife in the car. :glare:

Usually I just go without her on bike trips, but our group really wants her to join us. We're planning to go to a place near Phoenix in Sept. 5 days ride to get there, 7 days at a rented house, then 3 days returning home. We will be with another bike on the way there, but it's just the two of us returning (others are staying there for the entire month - damn retirees!) :angry:

Just don't want to be posting photos of my wrecked FJR in the future with the title "Don't trust these Bike Cradle Contraptions" :clapping:

A buddy of mine had one of those for a while, and he said it worked well. Just put unecessary KM on the rear tire, but way easier to mount/load up. Give it a try.........happy wife happy life :rolleyes:

Since I can't seem to get my wife to ride on the back of any bike, AND since she won't learn to ride a bike of her own... I'm looking for creative solutions for us travelling with biker friends on longer trips. :rolleyes:
Anyone know anything about this product... https://www.abiketow.com/index.html

The cost is $600 + shipping. If it is relatively "safe" for my FJR it would solve much of my problem. When I'm riding with other bikes, the bike cradle would be stored in the car's trunk driven by my wife (so there wouldn't be an empty trailer scarin the s-t out of my wife). I could ride the bike for part of the day, then pull out the cradle, load the bike and share some "quality" time with my wife in the car. :glare:

Usually I just go without her on bike trips, but our group really wants her to join us. We're planning to go to a place near Phoenix in Sept. 5 days ride to get there, 7 days at a rented house, then 3 days returning home. We will be with another bike on the way there, but it's just the two of us returning (others are staying there for the entire month - damn retirees!) :angry:

Just don't want to be posting photos of my wrecked FJR in the future with the title "Don't trust these Bike Cradle Contraptions" :clapping:

Looks like it would shred a rear tire...... wear doesn't stop just because the engine is off.

I'd look into the trailer in a bag. I also have a friend that has one and it seems to work fine. I personally would hate to drag my bike around by its rear tire. The rear tire would get worn plus just think what would happen if it drops in gear some how. May never happen but I don't want to think of the damage that would cause

We need some of the techies to jump in here. Does the transmission on an FJR need the engine running for lubrication? Some bikes do, even when they are in neutral. The old Honda XL 250 is a good example. We all had a coasting race down a mountain, engines off, and when we reached the bottom, the trany's were nearly toast.

Something to check into.

From the Gen. II owners manual, page 5-2:

"Caution - Even with the transmission in the neutral position, do not coast for long periods of time with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle for long distances. The transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission."

From the Gen. II owners manual, page 5-2:
"Caution - Even with the transmission in the neutral position, do not coast for long periods of time with the engine off, and do not tow the motorcycle for long distances. The transmission is properly lubricated only when the engine is running. Inadequate lubrication may damage the transmission."
+1

Okay for a short trip to the repair shop, not a viable long-distance solution for an FJR.

You should be proud of yourself for asking first, rather than asking later why your transmission is hard to shift, noisy, and something that looks like metal in the oil change.

Look in the manual??... OH!... LOOK IN THE MANUAL!! :good:

Didn't do that - Thanks soooooo much guys. You are absolutely right! I would've been the :asshat2: in about 6 months saying "don't be me".

The FJR Forum ROCKS!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: