Bonding the hard way...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
Well, I just had an interesting experience with my son this weekend. He's home from architecture school and has recently been talking about giving up his cage (Mazda 3) for a MC. I suspect it's a testosterone thing...bikes being chick magnets or some such. He's spent alot of time on ATV's (years) but has never ridden a serious bike, either on or off road. So, thinks I, here's a great chance to strengthen the bonds between father & son. We'll go out to some deserted stretch of southern California road and let him try to ride Big Black. "You're kidding, right" I initially asked myself. Well, he should be able to do OK. He's plenty stout, big enough to handle the size and knows how to shift, brake, etc. and the controls are all the same as the ATVs...ought to be a snap. He'll learn a lot and will appreciate the trust I have in him. These were my thoughts. :unsure:

So off we go to a pretty secluded spot of road, he and I and his 12 year old sister who wants to see her big brother ride the big bike. I swear but she just wants to see the accident...

I tell him that the bike has a jumpy throttle response when you first roll it on and to be careful. That it has more horsepower than his car and weighs about 1/5th as much...that gets a grin. That it has lots of low end grunt and to get the feel before letting her run hard. Then I hand him my mesh jacket and give him the keys. The next 20 minutes were tense. :blink:

As he worked through the first few "laps," both I and his sister noticed his careful approach. Indeed, she said "he looks wobbly" or something like that. He did look a bit overwhelmed but I stuck with the plan because I might just be too cautious. Deep end of the pool and all that. His turns to reverse direction on the two lane road had me cringing. He was carrying a bit too much speed through them and they were coming up wide. Indeed, they were only inches from the edge of the road as he straightened out. :eek:

And it was on about lap 5 when it became clear to me what was happening. Turns out, he was not pulling in the clutch prior to turning. Indeed, he was riding it through the turn in gear and was simply trying to manage what the bike was doing TO him. The resulting display is sometimes called a helmet fire in test pilot speak. He's a bit overwhelmed by the fact that he's on stage & trying to manage a tough problem. He's getting close to task saturation; too many unfamiliar things to do all at the same time. On this next turn, I was going to stop & point out to him what his problem seemed to be, but Sir Isaac got there first. On this turn, he goes wide off the road and now panic sets in (mostly on his side). Accompanied by his sister's comment of "uh-oh" he has both feet down madly trying to sort through the controls to stop the handful of bike but he's now just along for the ride pretty much. He very nearly succeeded though. Nearly. :bye2:

What happened was a slow motion ride into a bunch of scrub and basketball-sized rocks on the side of the road, followed by a tip over. In all, he managed it pretty well, but I was sure there would be plenty of scars left over from this learning (leaning?) experience. I slowly walked over trying to remain outwardly calm ("see, I told you so" my inner demon lamented). I helped him get the bike up and back onto the road without much comment other than "she can be a handful sometimes" or something similar. Little sis is saying something like "wait 'till I tell everyone." I then tell him about the clutch thing and motion him to keep ridin'. So for the next 15 minutes he sorts through his injured pride, his uncertainties and gets the hang of things. It ended up being a pretty good day. We both had a beer when we got home and celebrated his loss of virginity. :yahoo:

Bottom line, we both had a fun adventure, the bike only had a minor scratch on the slider (that's what they're there for after all) and all else was good. Don't know if I'm ready yet to see him out on the road riding an R1 (that's what he wants...) but maybe he'll join us on something suitable before too long.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, your self control is laudable... I'm not sure I would have been able to "slowly walk over" while remaining outwardly calm. More like a "oh shit" and a sprint.. Glad to hear the slider did its job.

Probably thought of this already but I might suggest a motorcycle safety course for him... The ones around here are great and start beginners off with a nice little bike that is pretty easy to handle. Teaching clutch control on a bike you can flat foot and practically bench press is probably preferable!

Great write-up! Grats on being brave enough to "pass the torch."

Now, can you please get the little sister to add HER version of what happened! Although that should probably wait for Friday :)

Congrats on the "bonding" and not freaking out! I know how hard it is to send them off on your pride and joy. You probably have the best scratches ever put on an FJR. Hopefully, he will be open to some classes and a smaller bike for a while.

Greg

Bonding moment? No way in #3!! that's going to happen in my household!

Laudable actions and reactions. You're an understanding and patient father. Good for you sir.

Now, please explain to him the reason one (especially Y-O-U-N-G) riders should begin motorcycling on a "learner" bike with more manageable horsepower, torque and weight. AND, if he intends to own said vehicle as a "chick magnet" he might want to choose something with good 2-up handling and creature comfort provisions.

I see and MSF course in his future.

Bonding moment? No way in #3!! that's going to happen in my household!
Laudable actions and reactions. You're an understanding and patient father. Good for you sir.

Now, please explain to him the reason one (especially Y-O-U-N-G) riders should begin motorcycling on a "learner" bike with more manageable horsepower, torque and weight. AND, if he intends to own said vehicle as a "chick magnet" he might want to choose something with good 2-up handling and creature comfort provisions.

I see and MSF course in his future.
Amen brother. One item I didn't mention here or to him was the basic problem with girls and bikes. Not all of the potential market likes huddling up in the cold, wind (and sometimes) rain. And not all come equipped with the right hardware if you know what I mean (ridin' gear for you dirty-minded fukes).

If he goes to two wheels we'll stress the need (and maybe even pay for) the MSF course.

Thanks Mike.

W2

If he goes to two wheels we'll stress the need (and maybe even pay for) the MSF course.
You might also stress the "Dad will kick your sorry butt into the next state if you get caught with a passenger not wearing ATGATT." The R-1 would be a death sentence. Way too many kids wearing gear, but with little suzy on the back w/only a helmet. That's a painful lesson to learn the hard way.

You might also stress the "Dad will kick your sorry butt into the next state if you get caught with a passenger not wearing ATGATT." The R-1 would be a death sentence. Way too many kids wearing gear, but with little suzy on the back w/only a helmet. That's a painful lesson to learn the hard way.
Amen again.

It's hard to get them to believe the reality of the risks they're running without a historical event to bring it home (Gawd forbid). Now, as I look back over what I wrote and consider the really stoopid things I've done, well, it's hard to be too critical. Know what I mean?

Cheers,

W2

It's hard to get them to believe the reality of the risks they're running without a historical event to bring it home (Gawd forbid). Now, as I look back over what I wrote and consider the really stoopid things I've done, well, it's hard to be too critical. Know what I mean?
Yes, but WE always hope they'll apply our vocal lessons because of bad experiences we shouldn't have survived but are here to warn them about.

S'okay, fearful praying keeps us humble.

Great Family Story, Hind sight is always 20 / 20, but I would have made sure Jr. was comfortable with clutching at low speeds before the solo run. We take it for granted because we probably can't remember what it was like the first time for us. For me , it was a friends mini bike with clutch, back in the early 70's. But your attitude is great and good for you for handling it the way you did.

Great write-up! Grats on being brave enough to "pass the torch."
Now, can you please get the little sister to add HER version of what happened! Although that should probably wait for Friday :)

+1. Friday would be the best time to hear sis's version of the story.

Loved reading the story and what was between the lines. No greater love has a father for his son, than to loan his FJR to a rookie.

Is he enrolled for an MSF class yet? My son and I took the class together. As a reentry rider, I wanted to borrow a small bike for the test, and figured a skills refresher couldn't hurt. The boy was sixteen and enjoyed the concept of a Mommy-and-me outing that involved motorcycles. He of course, took to it like a duck to water. He didn't follow up with the riding though. I wasn't as brave as you, and my son was younger. He didn't get to ride the FJR. We had several bikes in the garage and offered him the oldest, lowest displacement one to practice on. He chose not to ride it. But he did mention a couple of years later that he'd borrowed a friend's R1. Thankfully, he survived the experience.

Clutch is always the first thing I show a new rider. Granted, his ATV experience should have made him aware, but I always tell a new rider that if they're not comfortable with what's happening, just sit up (no lean!) straighten up and squeeze both levers. They don't have to remember which is which, and a real n00b probably won't, but they can usually handle "both."

Almost all of those "first ride" disasters you see on youtube would have been avoided with "squeeze both levers."

My familiy situation was different. My kid got the fever, found a bike, asked me to come with him to look at it. It was junk, scored rotors and worn pads up front, no pressure in the rear brake, and I told him not to buy it. What I said was, "This is junk. Run away." What he heard was "You ain't gittin' no motorcycle" so he bought it anyway to show me who's boss.

I actually wasn't riding at the time, never having had my own bike and having only occasional opportunities with friends' bikes, so we never had the "Here's how you do it" day. We've since had several chances to ride together for an hour or a day, but that was one of the most expensive starter bikes I ever heard of.

Awesome day pops.

Quite an adventuresome day for all involved, one that won't ever be forgotten.

Great read and thanks for sharing your story.

Here's Katie's side of this story [edited ever so slightly for readability-ed.]. She's 12 .

Katie: I hoped that Billy would not crash and knew that dad might be uptight or tense for this. I rode out in the car with Billy, he looked a little nervous, so little conversation was going on. Finally when we arrived on the side street, I stayed in Billy's car doing my math homework, yet I was looking out the side view mirrors and windows watching. After two problems or so, I got bored and went outside to watch what was going on. Nothing special, Billy was puttin' along, sitting strait up, and not wanting to disappoint Dad. When Billy would go around the curve in the road, the hillside would block what was on the other side so Dad would have to walk around it to see what was going on. On the middle lap or the "fun lap" I didn't follow Dad this time, and headed back to the driver seat of the car to listen to music.

I did another three or four problems then went back outside to see if anything changed.. it had. The bike was off the side of the road in the weeds, Billy and my dad were looking and poking around its sides. I walked over not knowing what happened. Billy looked even more tense now. As I looked more closely, they were trying to start it, with no luck. " What did you do?," I casually asked Billy. "Its not me, its the motorcycle." He replied. I went down into the wash [to play] while they tried to start the bike. Dad said it was probably flooded. Finally they started it, and I watched as Billy wobbled down the road again the bike shaking from side to side on his last laps before he decided he was done. When we were headed back home, I asked Billy how he was doing, got a grunt, then he changed the song. We pulled up the driveway and I went inside where my mom met me. I told her that Billy was fine even though he crashed. Then she started asking a bunch of questions and I was glad when Billy and Dad came inside to finish.

================

And there you have it.

Cheers,

W2

Man, I can't wait for my son to be old enough to ride with me. He's three and is already in love with bikes. Right now, KTM is his favorite because orange is his favorite color! One day...........

Good on you for not losing your calm!

I would suggest (for his safety and your piece of mind) a smaller bike to start. An FJR is no bike to learn on. I started on 650, went up to an 1100, and then to the FJR. I can't imagine being a new rider and having to boy-handle the weight and power.

A Suzuki Vstrom (the small one with ABS) would be a good beginner bike.

You are a braver man than I. I would have started the kid in a beginning level MSF course, but that's just me.