Brand new 2008 idle problem + oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 08 also had a low idle. I increased it to 1100-1200, no problems. My first TB sync made no change in idle. After I removed all the PAIR crap under the tank, did another TBS and idle dropped to 900 or so. Raised again to 1100, and it's a champ.

Sorry to hear about the drop. Keep us posted on progress with your dealer. Remember to add to the Dealer and Vendor Feedback area here with your experience at that dealer.

Pull,

What a bummer! As I read your post and you said that you leaned over to take off when it died, I thought, "Geez, I probably would have dropped it!" Of course, your next words were that you did. I feel your pain.

Being I have a well-behaved '06 I can't add much to the "it dies" question. I do hope you get everything resolved.

Could possibly be some sort of a TPS problem.

One thing I'm not sure of is how one drops a bike due to a stall.

Did it start out like it was going to accelerate at first and then cut out?

It's no more difficult than dropping it in the garage. :dribble: I have almost dropped bikes when waiting to turn right, my handlebars turned, and I start to pull off and stall it. Your momentum is forward and to the right and all of a sudden it locks the rear wheel and the moving force tips you over. It really is easy. It's a great way to initiate a bike properly. <_<

Slight update. Yamaha corporate is involved as I won't take the dropped bike back. They are like talking to brick walls.

BTW it took 3 days and they had to use the CO jumper mod just to get the bike to run and not die at throttle twist.

I refuse to take back a 13k+ bike that can't run out of the box without mods that are locked out in the US. is it still emissions legal? They are locked out from the DEALER for a reason.

Also bike was never test driven. No sign off on that. Might have caught the problem if they actually drove it.

So here I wait. 2+ weeks later.

Starting a lawyer on Friday (he is in the wings already, just waiting to make that decision) and I'll wait till spring for my bike.

Better luck to others with '08's.

When do '09's come out?

My 08 also had a low idle. I increased it to 1100-1200, no problems. My first TB sync made no change in idle. After I removed all the PAIR crap under the tank, did another TBS and idle dropped to 900 or so. Raised again to 1100, and it's a champ.
Sorry to hear about the drop. Keep us posted on progress with your dealer. Remember to add to the Dealer and Vendor Feedback area here with your experience at that dealer.
My idle is also a little low but I can’t find the idle adjustment on the ’08 model. I’ve searched the forum for this topic and found info on earlier models but not the ’08.

Care to share the location of the idle adjustment?

John

Searching +idle +adjustment site:fjrforum.com on google found MANY hits, among them the illustrious fjrtech article

see post #8 on this thread, unlike the article posted above it is not located there on the 08. It is behind the right side fairing about half way up. It has a phillips head for adjustment.

Here's a screen capture from the Gen 2 FSM:

2824638810098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Now I don't know... if I got the screw.
wouldn't worry, just speed up the idle and enjoy.
Then turn the throttle while stopped and very intermittently it just dies.

I really want to know what they find on that. I too have an 08 that is having similar problems. I've yet to drop it but I understand the frustration of the bike stalling with the crack of the throttle. I've yet been able to duplicate it as regularly as you and have about 3500 miles on it now. Can you PM me the name of the place you took it to? I would love to check with that service manager and see if they are going to try to find the cause of this issue.

Then turn the throttle while stopped and very intermittently it just dies.

I really want to know what they find on that. I too have an 08 that is having similar problems. I've yet to drop it but I understand the frustration of the bike stalling with the crack of the throttle. I've yet been able to duplicate it as regularly as you and have about 3500 miles on it now. Can you PM me the name of the place you took it to? I would love to check with that service manager and see if they are going to try to find the cause of this issue.
I have also had the stalling, but my idle was at 850 even after the 600 mile service. After reading the forums a few days ago, I found mine up about four inches under the right side flip out panel. It took several turns before the idle moved up to 1100 and runs better, but is still slightly choppy when warmed up. Currently I have 2700 miles on my 08, but gets around 40 in town, so it can't be too far off. Sorry to hear that you dropped yours. I have come close a couple of times. The only time it seems to stall now is when it has set for a little bit of time after running, (heat soak?) then I try to take off without letting it idle for 30 or more seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insert screw here!

Found the idle screw, easy enough, warmed up , rode 5 minutes, adjusted to exactly 1100 RPM and seemed better.

Took for a test spin, Still nice and warm.

Went to take a right onto a VERY busy street and gave it throttle, leaned a bit right to anticipate letting the clutch out.

Engine died flat. no RPM's nothing.

Problem is, I'm leaning slightly right, revved (I thought) the engine and let out my clutch.

I've been driving 15+ bikes for over 20 years, it is second nature.

Stall, DROP.

The fairing, mirror and side bags are muffed up. Along with a nice circular dent in the middle of my gas tank from my HEAD.

55 miles. 5 days old.

Before anyone thinks it does this every time, it doesn't. After picking it up I took it home and rode it up and down my street.

It idles and rev's fine. Then turn the throttle while stopped and very intermittently it just dies. Poof. No RPM's. like you hit the kill switch.

Filmed it.

Took it to my Yammy shop and got the manager directly. He came out and test drove it. stalled on him 5 times that I saw.

He is going to bat for me with this.

I have a lawyer in the wings. I hope I won't need him.

Lemon law is pretty liberal here too.

Wish me luck.

Thank god I wasn't trying to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler on a highway.
Same deal for me, 07 FJR , idles fine, (right turn), turn wheel, let out clutch, give throttle, stall, DUMP BIKE .

I have to increase RPM quite a bit before starting turn and slip clutch to make a corner with out stalling.

I first thought it was my riding stile but with 30 + years of riding I could not figure what I was doing wrong.

I started to look at the bike and what it was doing during a right hand turn.

1. At stop making a right hand turn you/I want to stay in the right hand lane so as not to cross into on coming traffic.

2. Slowly let out clutch and slowly increase throttle, to much clutch or to much throttle and you could launch yourself into the on coming trafic , hear is what I found wrong.

The throttle spring is so dam strong that all I was doing was fighting the spring when I should have had A smooth increase in the RPM,s to pevent stalling.

I will be sliping the throttle spring tonight and hopfuly that will solve my problem with Right hand turn, stall and dump,s.

Insert screw here!

Found the idle screw, easy enough, warmed up , rode 5 minutes, adjusted to exactly 1100 RPM and seemed better.

Took for a test spin, Still nice and warm.

Went to take a right onto a VERY busy street and gave it throttle, leaned a bit right to anticipate letting the clutch out.

Engine died flat. no RPM's nothing.

Problem is, I'm leaning slightly right, revved (I thought) the engine and let out my clutch.

I've been driving 15+ bikes for over 20 years, it is second nature.

Stall, DROP.

The fairing, mirror and side bags are muffed up. Along with a nice circular dent in the middle of my gas tank from my HEAD.

55 miles. 5 days old.

Before anyone thinks it does this every time, it doesn't. After picking it up I took it home and rode it up and down my street.

It idles and rev's fine. Then turn the throttle while stopped and very intermittently it just dies. Poof. No RPM's. like you hit the kill switch.

Filmed it.

Took it to my Yammy shop and got the manager directly. He came out and test drove it. stalled on him 5 times that I saw.

He is going to bat for me with this.

I have a lawyer in the wings. I hope I won't need him.

Lemon law is pretty liberal here too.

Wish me luck.

Thank god I wasn't trying to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler on a highway.
Same deal for me, 07 FJR , idles fine, (right turn), turn wheel, let out clutch, give throttle, stall, DUMP BIKE .

I have to increase RPM quite a bit before starting turn and slip clutch to make a corner with out stalling.

I first thought it was my riding stile but with 30 + years of riding I could not figure what I was doing wrong.

I started to look at the bike and what it was doing during a right hand turn.

1. At stop making a right hand turn you/I want to stay in the right hand lane so as not to cross into on coming traffic.

2. Slowly let out clutch and slowly increase throttle, to much clutch or to much throttle and you could launch yourself into the on coming trafic , hear is what I found wrong.

The throttle spring is so dam strong that all I was doing was fighting the spring when I should have had A smooth increase in the RPM,s to pevent stalling.

I will be sliping the throttle spring tonight and hopfuly that will solve my problem with Right hand turn, stall and dump,s.
Why do we have to put up with this? This is a YAMAHA problem. IMHO.

I have similar problems on my 08A - 2K miles on it since end of July. I found that laying on the throttle gently does the trick - but I've had the situation where I've "goosed it" at a stop light - and it would totally die. But I came on the throttle gently - then no problems, no stalls.

I'm still not getting it. Don't you slip the clutch when starting off? Why are you so sensitive to the throttle position? I can understand an AE having these issues as they have no control of the clutch, but on a A?