Brand new and already smacked up!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up front I run a modulator and my HID driving lights during daylight hours - the rear is covered by a small police light bar wired as a modulated brake light. If they can't tell how fast I'm going and I look like the sun coming right at them they'll be a lot more careful than if I look like a scooter buzzing along at 20 mph.

For those asking, what modulators are and where to get them, search the site and the web. All of the information is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run with a modulator. I used to only switch it on when approaching intersections that I know are likely to have impatient cagers turning, but I have been using it almost all the time this season. I live close to where the OP lives. Around here we get a mix of rural people and folks who come from very heavy traffic areas and the driving styles don't always mix well. Some drivers see you and assume that you will brake for them as they cross in front of you. A modulator helps a great deal.

Well this actually happened last Saturday the 14th. I was hosting my monthly Concours Owners group Meet & Greet. Afterwards if the weather is nice, we try to go for a ride. So I lead a couple of bikes on a nice trip towards one of the riders home. He was 2+ hours from home. So I figured I would cut down his ride home when our ride is over.So were heading along rt 9D which runs along the Hudson river, for the first part of the journey. Well all of a sudden a Honda Civic coming the other way makes a left turn 20 feet or so in front of me. I can't go right since that is her direction and I'm in the left side of the lane. She has the lane totally blocked and there are cars behind her in the on coming lane. So I contorted quite a bit and kissed my butt good-bye. Some how I managed to run down the double yellow to try to avoid her car. I almost made it but wound up hitting the back of her car since my bike was somewhat on a left angel trying to maneuver around her.. I caught the right upper fairing (under the mirror) on her rear tail light. The lower fairing hit the bumper. The slider hit the side of her bumper and followed it around the bumper which kicked the bike out to the left side.

When the bike kicked out, it saved my right leg from striking the car as well as the rest of the bike hitting. I was lucky that I managed to keep control and not go down or into the oncoming cars. I pulled over at the other end of the parking area where they were going canoeing! The other riders made it through OK, but dealt with their own emergency maneuvers.

The young girl of 20 was more shaken up than I was. So I actually tried to calm her down, even though she could have killed me and possible the guys behind me. She admitted that it was totally her fault, but I don't think the police officer gave her a ticket. My bike will be getting a new upper cowling. But the lower cowling seems to be just marked and will probably buff out. The slider and directional have a slight mark in them, but I also think that they will be usable.

IMO, the slider actually saved my butt here. And the bike didn't even go down. I will attribute this to the fact that obviously she didn't see me/us. Over the last 5+ years I have been conducting an experiment. On my last few bikes I have been paying attention to how many people pull in front of me when I don't use a headlight modulator. I have found that the number of people is unbelievable when I don't use a headlight modulator. But as soon as I install one on the bike, the instances almost totally stop. I did this on the last three bikes now. People are constantly pulling in front of me at an alarming rate. Then once I install the modulator, it almost totally stops. I obviously still have to ride defensively because every once and a while, it still could happen.

Now fast forward to the new FJR. I didn't have a modulator on the bike. It was brand new and I took it to a Vermont Rally for the Concours Owners Group. That week of the rally and my own extended personal rally, I again found quite a few incidents and close calls. Then a few days after I get back, this happens, which I truly consider more than an incident. I already had new higher output bulbs on order to install with the modulator. I guess they didn't get here soon enough! So here is the bike already smacked up with 1,400 miles on her. But I can make her new again, plus a little extra farkle money courtesy of Progressive!

Bob
Was that you at Mad River during the COG rally? I was at that rally as well, lost my side bag on Route 10 somewhere. Glad you made it thru o.k. I've been thinking about that modulator as well. Lots of deer around my way as well as slow thinking cagers.

Here is my poor man's answer.

Kind of...

I wear a Hi-Viz Darien jacket, a white helmet and I do something else that I feel is very important. A few years ago I read an article in Bike magazine, I think, that addressed this problem and also the person pulling out from an intersecting street. Especially on a straight road, there is something called "the zooming effect" that makes it harder to detect/track directly approaching, straight running vehicles. Supposedly, dragon flies use this as a predatory tool as they will approach thier prey straight and smooth to delay detection. The study in this article found a great difference in deliberatly introducing movement to help in detection. Specifically, a slight swerve when approaching an intersection by you, allows others to "pick up" your position and speed easier. Think about it. In many areas there are multiple accidents at intersections that are wide open and straight. Nothing obscures the sightline. Why?

Ever since reading this article, I make a point to swerve just a little when approaching any intersection. Since doing this I have not had someone pulling out or turning in front of me. I expect, in a sense, it "modulates" my light and position enough to be noticed. i am sure the jacket and helmet help too.

I always remember what I saw one day a couple of miles form my house. A young woman pulled out in front of an oncoming police car that had full lights and siren going. The cop just missed her. But if there are drivers out there that can't even notice a siren and spinning squad lights, just how defensively do we need to ride?

mr.paul from Minnesota

I've been thinking about that modulator as well. Lots of deer around my way as well as slow thinking cagers.
Not sure it would work for the former. The flashy light may actually mesmerize the forest rats and cause them to come out after you!! :blink:

Come to think of it that may happen to the latter too!! :unsure:

Was that you at Mad River during the COG rally? I was at that rally as well, lost my side bag on Route 10 somewhere. Glad you made it thru o.k. I've been thinking about that modulator as well. Lots of deer around my way as well as slow thinking cagers.
Yes I was up there. I had a great time except for my buddy wrecked on the turn right in front of Mad River Glen on rt17. His Black 09 FJR is totaled because of the frame scratches. Mad River Marc just put down a deposit on a 2010 C14. It's kind of funny that I went to the FJR and he goes to the C14. I hope his is more reliable than mine was!

I've been thinking about that modulator as well. Lots of deer around my way as well as slow thinking cagers.
Not sure it would work for the former. The flashy light may actually mesmerize the forest rats and cause them to come out after you!! :blink:

Actually, it appears to me that the modulator does help with deer. It doesn't make them stop and stare like they do with regular headlights, and they start moving out of the road sooner. OTOH, the modulator is designed to not modulate after dark, so it only helps at dusk.

Regarding the slow thinking cagers, there is always the chance that they will point fixate on the flashing lights and steer toward you. Not to mention the occasional idiot who gets annoyed and gets out of their car to complain at the first stop sign or red light.

for vizability, I wear a hiviz jacket, white helmet, and two sets of clearwater lights up front.

two sets of hyperlites on rear.

on my last trip, my bud ran a headlight modulator while following me in a stagger. I had to ask him to turn it off, as I was getting vertigo with that shining in my mirror for mile after mile.

I stay alert for what's in front of me, and any vehicle that's a threat, I flash my high beams repeatedly. My big clearwater Krista's also go to full intensity with high beam. I've yet to have someone do something stupid because they don't see me with this setup/habit. <knocking diligently on wood>

Actually, it appears to me that the modulator does help with deer. It doesn't make them stop and stare like they do with regular headlights, and they start moving out of the road sooner. OTOH, the modulator is designed to not modulate after dark, so it only helps at dusk.

Regarding the slow thinking cagers, there is always the chance that they will point fixate on the flashing lights and steer toward you. Not to mention the occasional idiot who gets annoyed and gets out of their car to complain at the first stop sign or red light.

Be Seen Not Heard was my only sticker on my BMW.

+1 on the comment of swerving as you approach. I read the same article and it is a proven fact.

I also read an article on point focus and the way the brain interprets a single beam of light. The bottom line of the article was a triangle of light registered more on the brain over a single beam of light.

I have always run Moto Lights, caliber mount, on every bike I have owned over the last 11 years. I have a set sitting to go on the FJR. I have very few instances over that time of pull outs from side streets. I mean I cant remember a specific incident right now, but I am still on very good pain meds :yahoo:

They are a bit pricey, add a bit more light on the white line mid distance out, but that triangle is very visible even in day light. I have no switch on mine so the burn all the time. Free lifetime bulb replacement so who cares. They make a yellow fog bulb and have thought about that, but rejected it on the last 3 pair I have bought. I always go the 55 watt upgrade. They also have a LED but not for caliber mount. The last set was 6 years old they still looked new and worked when I killed The LT 5 weeks ago. Anyway I believe in the 3 point triangle of light and know it works for me. If I have a little doubt I lay it right to left in a dip so there is no doubt.

No affiliation to Moto Light other then a long time customer. Your mileage may vary.

I also believe in good rear lighting and at least 1 modulator for like 3 blinks and then solid. It saves me doing it as I always flashed rear brakes at a stop when I saw rear traffic approaching. I found Hyper Lights to offer some very nice LED systems now.

One of the many reasons I rejected the Factory top case no lights, not even a plastic rack for the top with a LED bar in it! WTF?

Givi E52 with the AddMore Full LED light kit will be awesome, so much more light and at a great height. I need to unbox them and look it over and call and see if they have a modulator.

I also like reflective films and side lighting or film.

Anything you can do to be seen.

I can not stand headlight modulators. When one is behind me it absolutely infuriates me. Like the sound of a vacuum cleaner to a dog. I don't think much of them head on either as they are still annoying!

Hey just my opinion and a personal thing for me, I know others love them and swear by them. And I think they do work better then nothing, but not how I choose to be seen by the driving dead.

From my perspective of having to contend with a right knee injury last December and two deabilitating surgeries that you should feel extremely lucky you were able to walk away from the incident without missing your right leg. Just about everything I own(jet ski, $6K road bicycle, $5K mountain bike, TE510 Husqvarna and my little two seat roadster) has collected dust since due to my ACL reconstruction and I can only imagine the pain and agony you would be in right now if luck wasn't on your side.

The dim-wit that cut in front of you should be prosecuted to full extent. Personally I'd find difficulty not retaliating on the spot knowing how much life could have sucked and hope my better judgement took over.

I would point out every little scratch to the adjuster and ask him to include new parts and labor for everything. If your mirror got scratched or hit then you may have a bent stay - the piece under the plastic that the mirror attaches to. And don't forget your gear. Anything even slightly damaged should be on the list.
Once you get the check you can decide what you want to actually replace or buff out.
Absolutely!!!!

Almost any impact in that area will bend the aluminum stay and it is "interesting" to change. She puleed the "bonehead" maneuver, her insurance should pay.

i use the modulator,richard always bitches about it but oh well,if it stops 1 cage from turning in front of me,worth a million.just my 2 cents.i had a cage turn left on me on my brand new 1985 gs 700 es.........ouch and totaled my poor old suzuki.

Glad you came out of that encounter in one piece!

I'm so glad you survived that I'm going to ask a dumb question. What is a headlight modulator? Sounds like it could be an important next addition.
It modulates the brightness of your headlights repeatedly so that you're noticed.

It draws teenagers cars into the path of your bike like a light draws bugs to outside in the dark. Annoying imo and not endorsed by the AMA

FWIW, I, too, run with a modulator and use it selectively trying to maximize visibility to (most often) cross traffic while being sensitive to the annoyance factor. I also wear a highly visible safety vest. I wore one when I first started riding twelve years ago. Then stopped. I knew that while many military base commanders require it of their motorcycle riding personnel it can also be perceived as a bit "dorky" "wussy" or something external as such. Then I had a conversation with a Forum member (large fellow, long hair, bearded, highly experienced rider and well respected in the community) in the parking lot at the first NAFO. He wears a safety vest....always....and his view was that if it helped somebody, anybody, some time, any time, one time, ever to see him and avoid an accident then he was going wear the vest. .... and I would enjoy being there when somebody, anybody, calls this gentleman a dork or a wuss. I went back to wearing the vest.

I'm having a hard time believing that the color of the FJR has much at all to do with its front or rear visibility, or that one color (gray/silver) is more dangerous than another. The amount of cowling visible to a car's driver from the front and rear is small, and the noticeability of the colored plastic is far less than even the stock headlights and running lights. What the driver sees are the headlights, the rider's jacket and the helmet, and a small amount of colored plastic. Looking at the FJR color choices, only the Cobalt Blue seems to be a "bright" color--the various grays/silvers, the Raven Black, the Galaxy Blue and the Black Cherry are all rather subdued, not bright at all. Certainly nothing like that God-awful Harley orange color.

Try this: Put your Feej on its centerstand, ignition and headlights on (not on bright), modulate if you have it, and turn on any ancillary lights. Then walk 40-50 yards away and notice what catches your attention. Lights or cowling color? Try the same from the rear, using a rubber band to apply the front brake if needed. Again, how much of the plastic do you notice? In either situation, if a rider on the bike was wearing bright colors or any jacket with reflective surfaces, would the bike color be even noticeable? Perhaps in the side aspect it would, but even then reflective tape would be even more noticeable at night, and the rider's apparel would be more important at any time of day. If you think your bike's color scheme is an important part of visibility then we should try to get a group buy together for Highway Road Worker Fluorescent Green plastic paint.

I would be very interested to see some data about this if any has been published. At this point, I would say to buy the color of bike that you like or get a great price on, then farkle up with extra lights, modulated lights front and back, reflective plastic tape on the sides, and wear brightly colored jackets and helmets. And then stay alert and expect a deadly move at any time by the cars on the road with you.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I've a gray FJR, it has so many swell shades of gray and black, but I don't think this is wishful thinking on my part.

It's just my 1.7 yen's worth...

I haven't had any issues...in fact, folks mostly jump out of my way on the interstate in the left lane seeing me 1/2 mile away coming up from behind

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

blinking Christmas tree effect is good

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

Yes I was up there. I had a great time except for .....................................
I too was there on my Feej. It was good to meet you again after Sommerset. My comments on this topic:

1. The cage driver has the right to assume you are at the speed limit when he's/she's judging turning space

2. Careful flashing headlight with the switch - can be interpreted as "go ahead"

3. Yes hi viz - anything, colour or movement, out of normal will attract attention

4. It is inattentiveness (cell phone, make up, day dreaming, argument with spouse) which causes many accidents and the claim "I didn't see him". While I think most drivers are not out to get me, I doubt any would say "ya, I saw him, but went ahead anyway".

5. I was hit on the hwy by a woman who had blacked out at the wheel and should not have been driving. Took 4 years to recover enough to ride again. Get a police report and lobby to charge the at fault person - really helps with insurance and law suits.

Yes I was up there. I had a great time except for .....................................
I too was there on my Feej. It was good to meet you again after Sommerset. My comments on this topic:

1. The cage driver has the right to assume you are at the speed limit when he's/she's judging turning space

2. Careful flashing headlight with the switch - can be interpreted as "go ahead"

3. Yes hi viz - anything, colour or movement, out of normal will attract attention

4. It is inattentiveness (cell phone, make up, day dreaming, argument with spouse) which causes many accidents and the claim "I didn't see him". While I think most drivers are not out to get me, I doubt any would say "ya, I saw him, but went ahead anyway".

5. I was hit on the hwy by a woman who had blacked out at the wheel and should not have been driving. Took 4 years to recover enough to ride again. Get a police report and lobby to charge the at fault person - really helps with insurance and law suits.
Well if no one is charged at the scene and issued a citation, good luck with trying to recoup anything. I would assume it is "no fault" and your insurance company is responsible for making you "whole". I don't think your insurance company will pursue it because no one was cited.

Not fair at all.

I forgot to say to the OP that I am very glad you came out the way you did. From your account you are very lucky the slider and the bumper mated up and guided you around the car. I also think you did a great job of keeping your bike up. You are very lucky and I am happy for you.

As I sit here recovering from my 65 mph get off 5 weeks ago I wish this on no one. Everyone needs to reflect on this and keep our sport in perspective. Miles or years do not make any of us immune. Practice, and I mean parking lot speed up to the 90's where we play a bit, and playing the "what if game" when you become complacent. I do it all the time, if I see a car I say what if they do this? How will I avoid it? Just something I have done for a lotta years to cut any boredom I may fall into while riding.

Everyone be safe out there.

And since I am living proof I can say emphatically, ATGATT works!